agricultural chemical side effects

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by helenlee, Dec 3, 2008.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I'm considering buying a house/land at Childers in Qld.
    I drove around today & checked out a few prospective places & couldn't help but be concerned by the very close proximity of orchards to all the places I looked at. One place in particular has a permanent creek & a bore & is down hill from very many acres of avacado farms. I'm concerned about what chemicals are used, what the side effects are for the people living close by, & the water that's running off these places.
    Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Of course, the real estate agent says there's nothing to worry about.
    (But to quote Mandy- "well he would say that, wouldn't he?")

2. Bennz

Bennz Junior Member

Re: agricultural chemical side effects

There is always a risk of toxic chemical problems. I'd say ask the orchard managers what thney are using. Any chance they are organically certified?

IN my country my understanding is that the avo. guys tend not to use anything particulalry nasty, as avos are so dependant on bees for pollination, and many chemicals are not bee-friendly. Subtropical pests are different of course. I have an organic avocadso orchard down the road from me, a very benign environment.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day helen,

if you have any concerns at all then don't buy properties in that situation it could become an albatross around you neck, and it will also become very inconvenient, plus if you feel forced to sell oterh buyers that shy away might abound.

len

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

talk to the neighburs.

tell them you are considering buying but "your mum has severe toxic reactions to chemicals" then ask what they use on their farm

some farmers really are enlightened and use nothing

once you've got the names of the chemicals google - most chemical companies produce toxicity papers and most western countries produce government papes on the chemical..... you'll find out what it does and if you consider it dangerous