crotalaria uses and functions

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by PULSE, Nov 19, 2008.

1. PULSE

PULSE Junior Member

Hi there fellow Permies.
    Ive got a type of crotalaria ive been growing for a while in a guild with Bananas,sweet potato,lemon grass and comfrey. I got the seeds from Crystal waters on a tour one time.
    Its been very succesful in being a good mulch/compost/biomass source etc.
    It is also a Legume so beneficial for the soil (though I have not observed any mycrazobia thingies on my type).
    What i want to know is- Is it the edible type? And is there an edible type?
    Because if it isnt im thinking of replacing it for somthing else edible. like pigeon pea.
    In my PDC we were taught that each element in a design should have at least three functions.
    Ihave to describe it from memory as im not at home.Beautiful plant, Its multi lobed leaf,5 lobes i think, light grey on one side and dark green on the underneath. yellow flower.will grow 2 meters.

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: crotalaria uses and functions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalaria

have a read of the wiki - - it's only wiki but a good place to start

poisonous to cattle
    wouldn't try and eat it

do you want some pigeon pea seed LOL

3. PULSE

PULSE Junior Member

Re: crotalaria uses and functions

I know i either read or someone told me there was a paticular edible crotalaria.
    Loads of Permies use it and have promoted it, but other than a good chop and drop mulch i reckon its overated.
    If it does fix nitrogen then thats good (it is a legume after all so it should,but like i say i have'nt observed any nodules on the roots, maybe they need inoculating too?)At the end of the day its not edible so might as well replace it.
    Someone needs to tell crystal waters theyve got it everywhere.Its weedy too.
    Nah its got to go i reckon unless someone comes on with another function for it. Pigeon Pea is the replacement for sure, not as pretty but at least you can eat it.
    Thanks for the offer Paradisi but i'm alright on the PP front, im currently transpalnting volunteer PP seedlings around my garden, i love the PP!