What do you store your seeds in ?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by dylanz, Oct 26, 2008.

1. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

What do you store your seeds in ?

I have a ton of random containers, but would love something more uniform, and non-breakable. Any suggestions ?
    Am planning on filling a suitcase with a ton of different species, and trying to think of the best system :)

2. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

Re: What do you store your seeds in ?

I use a tupperware container i got at a garage sale its a long rectangle shape and fits about 60 packets of seed.IT fits in the fridge well.

3. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

That's a good idea. I have no fridge at the moment, but the cooler cupboard will do :)

4. Mowman

Mowman Junior Member

I have a cheap plastic toolbox, about 40cm x 17 x 17cm, about $3.00 from a hardware shop. Sort of like a half-height briefcase. It fits about 60 packets and envelope packets and labels etc. For your quantities the best thing I can think of is a long index card file drawer or archive box, available from an office supplies or a two-dollar shop.

5. Rainbow

Rainbow Junior Member

I was always given the impression that plastic in an organic society was a no no...
    As such, I keep all my food stuffs, and potential foodstuffs in glass or ceramic jars... wherever possible...
    Big glass coffee jars (I think they are Moccona) are readily and easily available. Second hand shops usually have heaps for 20-50 cents each...
    Remove the plastic seal and replace with a vacola rubber seal if you wish... but that little piece of plastic is going in to landfill so just as good to leave it there..

Rig up a shelf system in your shed, and it is all pretty and too easy.
    A little masking tape and a pen to label, and it looks better than Martha Gardners pantry!!