Hail Storm Damage!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Keith, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Keith

Keith Junior Member

We had a hail storm today, I have never in my 60 years seen it hail so hard! Everything in the garden is shredded! Shredded silverbeet for dinner tonight! Is this do you think part of what we can expect from global warming?! Everywhere is white, and the dam is steaming! Regards, Keith.

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: Hail Storm Damage!

g'day keith,

just natural weather systems, you may not have been where you are the last time one occured, but though many point to the hype to do with climate change most of these events have been previously recorded and in some cases even worse, and even if they haven't been our weather recording is only about 100 or 150 years or so old so even then it could still have occured.

just looks like being one of "those" storm seasons.

len

3. fruit fly

fruit fly Junior Member

Gday Keith,
    I feel your pain! I live down the road in Uralla and we got smash with a beauty of a hail storm on Monday arvo.Totally shredded all our hard earn't seedlings, i guess the only up side is there is still time to re-plant but is still bloody heart breaking.
    cheers Fruit Fly

4. Keith

Keith Junior Member

Hi Fruit Fly, one of our club members lives in Uralla, he is a custom knife maker and bowyer. To my surprise the broad beans stood up to the hail better that I at first thought, and I had put bottles over the marrows. Our fruit trees are stripped of blossoms, but the youngberries seem to have survived, at least in part. I have not checked the tomatoe seedlings yet. We get such a short season here that we started our pumpkins early this year!!! Will try planting again. Regards, Keith. PS surprisingly there was no car damage, and the solar power panels survived. I think that the first hail was smaller and came down so fast that it built up a barrier which the larger hail did not penatrate.

5. Keith

Keith Junior Member

In that case len, combined with global warming we could be in for an interesting time! Just visited in Brisbane, too hot for my liking. The hail sure did cool things down fast here!

6. turkey

turkey Junior Member

A friend of mine lives in Urunga and he copped a lashing as well.
    He did some planting and mulching earlier this week so he is not impressed with the damage it did to his garden. :( :( :oops:

7. Keith

Keith Junior Member

Hi Len, I am trying to think positive Len, IT IS COLD HERE TODAY LEN,IT HAS BEEN SNOWING HERE TODAY LEN! Okay, I am cool (pun intended) So tell me Len, what do you recon is a good winter crop to be planting right now!
    Keith.

8. gardenlen

!!!???????

got me mate i don't live where it snows??

len

9. fruit fly

fruit fly Junior Member

Gday,
    we had sleety snow today and have a forecast for servre frost in the morning. Ive been madly covering any plants that escaped the hail on monday. As for a crop for these conditions maybe snow peas! :lol:

10. Keith

Keith Junior Member

Now there you go, some exspert gardening advice, well done Fruit Fly, I like it. Thanks also for the frost warning, I missed that one. Regards, Keith.

11. chocka

chocka New Member

Hey Len, you'll need to speak to Deakin and Monash University then, because if Climate Change has been proved by you to not be happening, then myself and my friends who are currently doing environmental science unit essays about the science of this subject, have got it all wrong.
    Deakin's phone number is 9244-6100.
    People really need to start speaking to professionals about this issue, because it is serious. And IF it isn't yet serious (which IS a POSSIBILITY), and the effects have been overestimated, then God I hope that's true.
    But if not, and people keep assuming that looking out the window can settle this issue, then I am really frigging concerned.
    Cheers, Chock

12. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Settle down Chocka - I don't think that Len was even offering his opinion on climate change, but simply pointing out that hail storms like this have always occured around the place and that they are kinda cyclical and don't necessarilly hit in the same place over and over. While I'm only in my mid-thirties, I remember there being really bad hail storms as a very young child, as I'm sure some of the older folk here would remember when they were young.

While climate change is IMHO a real thing, there can be a tendency by some to jump to the conclusion that any full on weather pattern in the result of climate change - which is simply not the case. I think it is this that Len was pointing out - but Len will not doubt answer for himself.

13. gardenlen

thanks veggie boy,

did see that there was anything much that needed answering to, the simple natural fact is the earths climate has been in the throws of change for eons and nothing any science/scientist can do to explain it in their terms which are vested, can change that fact. the inference seems to be, had these learned folk been here when the dynasaurs were around that they may have worked out how to stop the climate change that was their demise (their story), so we now would be living with dynasaurs as well as climate change.

as one senior scientist on tv said of recent times at the end of the day science comes up with "educated guesses", to me at the end of the day a guess is a guess i guess!!

yes i look out the window if that's what is wanted and i listen to reports on weather happenings and guess what most if not nealry all have occured before in the last 35 or even 100 years or so well within the time frame of record keeping that is.

len

14. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

The battle against dangerous climate change had been lost, and the world needed to prepare for things to get very, very bad.
    https://www.commondreams.org/headline/2008/12/09

Nature, of course, is not like a bank looking for a bailout, but when we accept the impoverishment of biological diversity, we compromise future options and risk losing the ecological services we take for granted. Nature can be restored, however, and it can yield incredible benefits, but actions have to be real, massive and must start now.

In the coming days, two major global gatherings will debate key issues of our time: climate change, global development and poverty reduction. The conferences will provide a definitive look at our relationship with nature and how and what we produce and consume. It is vital that these two conferences integrate the issues of nature and development - not consider them in isolation - and that global economic solutions recognize the values of nature.
    https://www.commondreams.org/view/2008/12/08-4

We all create our own reality, and shut out the voices we do not want to hear. But there is no issue we are less willing to entertain than man-made climate change. Here, three worlds seem to exist in virtual isolation. In the physical world, global warming appears to be spilling over into runaway feedback: the most dangerous situation humankind has ever encountered. In the political world - at the climate talks in Poznan, for instance - our governments seem to be responding to something quite different, a minor nuisance that can be addressed in due course. Only the Plane Stupid protesters who occupied part of Stansted airport yesterday appear to have understood the scale and speed of this crisis. In cyberspace, by contrast, the response spreading fastest and furthest is flat-out denial.
    https://www.commondreams.org/view/2008/12/09-7

https://gristmill.grist.org/skeptics

15. Keith

Keith Junior Member

Well we had snow here until very late, I thought for a while there that we might be lucky enough to get a white xmas, no such luck! Now of course this heatwave! I can't wait to see what winter will bring.
    Got to plant more vegies next season, never seam to have enough. Not going to bother with anything the cabbage whites like, will consentrate on the "three sisters", corn, beans, and pumpkins. Wish it would rain!
    Regards, Keith.