sprouted onions

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by barely run, Sep 8, 2008.

1. barely run

barely run Junior Member

I have never grown onions but yesterday the fruit shop gave me 3 red salad onions that are well sprouted about 2" green shoots. If i plant them will each one only produce 1 onion? any other hints welcome.
    cathy

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: sprouted onions

I'm not sure, as I've never done it, but I am suspecting that the plant will root and carry on from where it is now, and go to seed, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

But it would be nice if you carried on and let us know what DOES happen. I've been wrong before. :oops:

Sue

3. Mango1

Mango1 Junior Member

When ever I have done this the onions have grown and gone to seed, rather than produce more onions directly. That said, the flower is very pretty :eek:

4. Rainbow

Rainbow Junior Member

Plant these onions, they will grow, flower and go to seed.
    Collect the seed, plant them at the appropriate time depending where you are located, and then you can grow onions.

5. Burra Maluca

Burra Maluca Junior Member

If you don't want the bother of planting them just for seed, plant them, let the leaves grow and eat the leaves (not the flower stalk - it's tough!) as spring onions. Just snip them off, cut them up and use them in salads and omelets. Or maybe do that with one and watch the other two flower and seed.

Onions are biennial - the first year they grow from seed and produce an onion bulb. The second year they use the stores in the bulb to get a good head start and go all out to flower and seed before they die.

6. barely run

barely run Junior Member

/thank you all for that info........i'll plant and have a go at seed collecting....and one for spring onion shoots is a great idea.
    Cheers
    Cathy

7. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

I use them for onion greens - - most onions will end up forming a clump if they are left in the ground - - I have a big patch of schallots, walking onions, ordinary onions and garlic - - I never bother with the bulbs - just use the greens like you would chives

8. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Walking Onions :lol: :D :) ........what on earth are they........clever people could do some creative answers to that questions... :ANAL: oh and do you have any spare ones to share paradisi.
    cheers
    Cathy

9. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

the walking onions are egyptian onions or sometimes called tree onions - they form a bulblet at the top of the green stalk - which bend sover and sets roots - - I'll have to let them go for a while to get some bulblets growing - thats the best way I've found to get them started.... onions are a problem to grow up here on the sunshine coast - the bulbs don't seem to harden off properly - that's why I started just using the greens......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_onion