Espalier Fruit Trees

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Cares, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Cares

Cares Junior Member

Has anyone here tried Espalier Fruit Trees?

If so...did you think it was worth the effort?

I would love to try it, as I really love formal english gardens (but with a permaculture twist :wink: )

Cares

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: Espalier Fruit Trees

I've never tried it, but I've heard that the amount of fruit you get for the small space is quite high. They also said that positioning is paramount, second-best just won't do.

Sue

3. Mrs Parker-Bowles

Mrs Parker-Bowles Junior Member

Hi Cares,

We are espalier crazy. We love them. They certainly are worth the effort.
    Almost any plant can be espaliered. Look for plants with flexible branches, attractive foliage, flowers or fruit. The thing to remember is that you are the boss. You decide what branches stay or go and in what direction they will grow. Don't let anyone tell you what you can do just try it and see.
    Unfortunately I don't have any decent pictures at hand but wikipedia and google images have some great pics to get your creative juices flowing. Woodbridge fruit trees site has a great fact sheet that you might find quite useful. They use the KNNN method (Knees, Navel, Nipple, Nose) We have used this method many times.
    My favorites are "The Belgian Fence" and "L'arcure Lepage".

https://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/resources/Articles/Espaliering Made Even Easier (KNNN).pdf

Good luck,

Jodi

4. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    We are espaliering a pear, it's great for when you are short of space, and lots of different styles and shapes to prune to, if we had more vacant fence I'd be doing it with more trees.
    Makes the fruit easier to harvest and protect from birds too, much easier to net etc.
    have a go
    cheers

5. Cares

Cares Junior Member

Thanks gemjill & Jodi (Sue, thanks for the encouragement),

I have just planted out 3 avocados to try with espalier, as it is a bit to frost heavy where I live but this way I will be able to cover them and mulch them to keep them warm enough over winter, I am also going to try 3 mangoes. Hubby picked up an old arched nursery hot house frame that I can use to cover the whole espalier frame with.
    I have plenty of room (270ac) and have planted heaps of other trees in 'MY' 10 acre garden which I won't let hubby put cattle on :wink:
    I'm inland of Port Macquarie NSW and we still get some pretty heavy frosts in the hills and I have tried for a couple of years to get a couple of avocadoes growing but the frost always gets them, so this is my last try and if it works I will post some photos this time next years to show the progress.

Cares :D

6. HappyHenry

HappyHenry New Member

Happy Henry here & a first timer.
    Yes, Citrus do respond well to espaliering. We took two pot-bound young citrus (1 meyer lemon (jenny) & 1 tahitian lime(roger) and planted them
    beside a 6foot timber fence. A year later they are both 3 times the size and fruit laden. We used wire between the posts and string ties.
    Give it a go. Its not difficult.
    Happy days!