Garlic for sale ?(edible type)

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by Cosmic, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I would like to buy some eating garlic. I am having trouble finding Australian grown garlic and wondered if anyone here was having an embarrassing amount growing? I am in Brisbane.

2. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Re: Garlic for sale ?(edible type)

There are two farms up my way and it's usually at our markets...2nd sunday. The community farm...brisbane northside...name escapes me for a minute... used to have it for sale at the Sunday market. Also try the stanthorpe fruit barn again not good on the exact name it's on the highway at the stanthorpe turn off....they often have it.
    Cathy

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hey Cathy....Why dont you sell her the garlic i gave to you...

Tezza

4. barely run

barely run Junior Member

I still have one plant from yours Tezza.......it's very well travelled......Canowindra to Brisbane to Glen Innes. For the rest not long before I left the neighbours sheep got into the herb garden..........ate it to the ground.....garlic, marjoram, oregano, coriander, sage, thyme and strawberries. Caused great delight at the Fat Lamb Hotel........they were coming over to get some marinated lamb. Oh and Karen is out of the pub now too........studying nursing at the gold Coast , started this year.
    Cheers
    Cathy

5. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Traveled from my house in the west halfway round Oz before you took it further round

hardy stuff here still grows by its self 4 years after initial sowing of corms, and being a chook scratching area...

Super garlic I call It

Tezza 8) 8)

6. jkshed

jkshed Junior Member

JJ's Fruit Market at Greenslopes Mall (southside) often has Australian garlic. Slightly purple tinge - might be Glen Large.

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Is there a non-edible garlic?
    If so, it is news to me

I note most big supermarkets now give the source of their garlic (and other produce) the cheapest seems to be from China. Occasionally you see some French and some single clove stuff very occasionally Australian and very rarely Elephant Garlic.
    (I'd love some elephant garlic cloves if anyone wants to do a swap )
    All garlics grow from cloves. It is such a strong flavour i wonder if there is any point fussing over what varieties you grow. Unless you bake whole bulbs then I can taste a slight difference.

The strength of garlic flavour comes more from how you prepare it than anything else. The more you chop it the more sulphur? type compounds it forms and the stronger the flavour. Crushed garlic is stronger than sliced, sliced stronger than cloves, cloves stronger the whole baked bulbs.

:idea:
    If you want to surprise some friends buy half a kilo of garlic peel it, (bit of a pain) boil it, change the water 2-3-4 times. (The more you change the water the milder the garlic flavour will be)
    Serve hot with some Olive oil and a lamb roast.
    Most people will compliment you on your delicately garlic flavoured "beans" (They have the texture of baked beans).
    They may curse you the next day however. :D

There is also garlic chives (pink and white flowering) and Society Garlic (Tulbaghia violaceaand white) ;.including a pretty variegated form of Society Garlic that looks great in small terracotta pots and is indestructible. The flowers of all can be eaten in salads as well as the leaves. Although I find Society Garlic leaves tough with a very strong flavour.
    [​IMG]
    Variegated Society garlic in flower.
    The flowers are delicious and pretty in salads

8. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

I meant I want to buy garlic that is fresh and ready to eat, not growing already.
    I want to eat Australian garlic, not Chinese or other countries.

9. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

WTF?! Does not compute
    All garlic originally comes from N. hemisphere.

If you want it ready to eat go to the supermarket.
    A history link
    https://homecooking.about.com/od/foodhis ... istory.htm

10. Woz

Woz Junior Member

>Does not compute

Um, as I understand from the OP - "I am having trouble finding Australian grown garlic" - the objective here is to source some Australia Grown, perhaps Locally Grown, Garlic for consumption rather than buying Imported Garlic and/or Garlic for propagation. The original source of the species is not in question.

Woz

11. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Cosmic are you still wanting aust garlic? I'm going to the markets today and need some myself...if any i'll buy extra...also want to have a go at drying some.
    cheers
    Cathy

12. barely run

barely run Junior Member

I bought an extra bag of the russian garlic if anyone wants some... it was $4 for a bag ... weight 440grms. It is the end of their season so wont have any more till Dec.
    cathy

13. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

:lol: at that price I wonder why I grow the stuff. But seriously - there is nothing like home grown garlic and mine lasts a full year until the next harvest. The only problem I seem to have is that I don't get around to planting it until a couple of months after it should go in and then end up harvesting during the wet - not good. Harvested one bed a week ago after a big rain (luckilly through a tarp over to keep the bed reasonably dry) and the other bed is yet to dye back :oops:

I've still got half a pillow case left from last years crop - and although quite a bit of it is dried out - I was still getting a decent feed out of the ones that haven't up until I pulled the latest lot. I'm tempted to plant some more of the old stuff - despite being the wrong half of the year - so as not to wast it completely. Anyone grown it this far out of season - ie plant now (in SEQ).

14. TheCrone

TheCrone Junior Member

15. kozie aussie

kozie aussie Guest

Not sure if you have already found a supplier for your Australian garlic. I just joined the forum today. I have grown a great crop of Australian garlic that I harvested about 6 weeks ago. I grew it at my property at Nanango but I live in Brisbane. It was grown naturally in virgin soil without using any fertilisers or pesticides. It was 3rd generation Australian seed. I have just started selling it at the Cleveland markets and it's been quite a hit. I'd be happy to sell some to you if you're interested. I've called it "Kozie's Aussie garlic!"
    Pete

16. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Congratulations Pete on a sucessful crop, I am sure there is a good market for aussie grown garlic. Check out the above link for garlic sales they have some interesting varieties. I am hopeing my current crop is just as sucessful :ANAL:
    Cheers
    Cathy

17. Louise

Louise New Member

Hello Pete

I would love to buy some garlic off you if you still have some available. I live in Victoria and am hanging out for some. Please let me know how much for a kilo. TIA
    Christina

"I'd be happy to sell some to you if you're interested. I've called it "Kozie's Aussie garlic!""
    Pete

18. kozie aussie

kozie aussie Guest

Thanks for the feedback Cathy. As you live in Glenn Innes I will be interested to see how your crop turns out. We are ahead of you here as we get an earlier autumn. Got some good feedback from a naturopath who bought some of my garlic yesterday. Says the Aussie stuff is the absolute best medicinally as it contains a much higher level of alliin than imported varieties.
    Cheers
    Pete