what makes permaculture different?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by trishandpete, Aug 18, 2008.

1. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

What makes it different to organic gardening using design principles that have little impact on the land other than to improve it? I like the philosophy of doing good, not just doing no harm. Is the defining characteristic that there is no imposed order or separation of plants/plants & animals? I know it means 'permanent agriculture' but is this impossible in any other system? Scuse my ignorance, wanting to make garden beds above ground....

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Re: what makes permaculture different?

Simple question complex answer.

I take it you have not completed a PDC as this would answer the question.

General large scale organics works like chemical organics but without chemical inputs, they use natural inputs instead.

Permaculture uses many different styles of design together in a balanced and smart way. I would start by reading some Permaculture books to gain this understanding.

The best mix of system design I feel uses Permaculture/Fukuoka/Bio-Dynamics/Biochar all of these system's are organic with Bio-Dynamics being used on many quality larger scale farms. If you learn and mix up between these four systems you will create the best food producing system money and hard work can buy.

Question, why are you using a raised garden bed in a dry area? You would be better keeping it close to the ground so all your water does not drain away. if you really need a raised garden bed think about adding old logs in before the soil as these will act as water holding devices as your soil gets up the a quality humus.

3. trishandpete

Thinking of raised beds because we are not getting any younger and I have 'nurses back'! I have read a fair bit, actually, and am booked in for a course, but it is interesting to hear what other people say. Can you, or anyone, define it in less than 150 words, using no jargon? T

4. garyb

garyb Junior Member

trishandpete,

Are you after a definition of permaculture? My 'working' definition is that it is a design system for creating sustainable, agriculture-based communities. There are lots of definitions around for it but they seem to encompass the idea of being sustainable, incorporating agriculture, allowing integration of humans with their natural environment.

But if you're after one thing that distinguishes organics from permaculture, I'd opt for biodiversity; and the fact that permaculture is a broader system incorporating human habitats and communities.

Regards, Gary

5. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Taken from Wiki - worth a look over, has a nice herb spiral plan too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

6. tranquil

tranquil Junior Member

These definitions are too academic/technical for me. I didn't really understand what permaculture was until I read "Gaia's Garden," which broke it down very well for beginners I thought:

It's also much more, but I think this is a good starting point.

7. Warm Earth

Warm Earth Junior Member

I caught a bit of The Cook and the Chef on ABC TV this week. Maggie was wandering around a permaculture garden in Nimbin and asked the owner what permaculture was all about. The lady replied, "it's about designing beautiful ecosystems for humans to live in and which enable us to tread lightly on the planet". I thought that was a clever explanation. It cunningly appealed to people's self-interest (who wouldn't want to live in a beautiful ecosystem?) and added the environmental positive as a side benefit. I know it's over-simplifying it, but it was well worded for the target audience.

8. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Mr. Google kindly provided these definitions.

'The conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive ecosystems to create the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural eco-systems. This form of agriculture seeks the harmonious integration of landscape and people providing their food, energy, shelter, and other material and nonmaterial needs in a sustainable way.' (from Communities Conservation & Markets)

'Is the practice of designing sustainable human habitats by following nature's patterns.' (from Discover Organic Gardening)

'Design system and philosophy that uses land in a way that integrates human dwellings and activities with local natural ecologies.' (from OIKOS Green Building)

'Permaculture is a system of environmental land use and sustainable living techniques, using principles from ecology, technology and the wisdom of indigenous people. Permaculture emphasizes the ethics of caring for the earth and her people and of giving away surplus. It bases its designs on the observation of natural systems and existing elements on the site.' (from The Many Faces of God)

'Permaculture is about designing ecological human habitats and food production systems. It is a land use and community building movement which strives for the harmonious integration of human dwellings, microclimate, annual and perennial plants, animals, soils, and water into stable, productive communities. The focus is not on these elements themselves, but rather on the relationships created among them by the way we place them in the landscape. This synergy is further enhanced by mimicking patterns found in nature.' (from Paulgrow/Dave's Garden)

'Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system.' (Bill Mollison)

Sue

9. trishandpete

I like the last quote best from Mollison in Sue's post. Funny thing, Pete dug out an old, old video the other day, it was a 4-part doco from the ABC recorded in the 80s of Mollison travelling the planet in his sandals showing permaculture gardens in a number of climates. It was very inspiring, and followed by some Peter Cundall episodes on the same old tape. I plan to get the whole lot digitised. Thanks for your responses everyone. Trish

10. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Trish

I trust both you and Pete are well...

Concerning your original question:

Permaculture is not just (although it obviously can include) organic gardening.

Permaculture is a practical (and dynamic) human response to the study of natural eco-systems and services. Permaculture is (one of many, I'm sure) a starting point, the continuation of which is only limited by our personal capacity to observe and interact in such a way as to plan, design and develop sustainable human environments. Permaculture may be as 'simple' as a single thought, or as 'complex' as the creation of an entire (global?) community, and everything in between.

An excellent resource that I would love to share with you (and anyone else) is "Permaculture Principles":

https://www.permacultureprinciples.com/

The above is a joint venture by some of Australia's most exciting, and inspiring permies.

Hope to catch up with you both soon, Mark.

11. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Trish, I reckon there is no one good answer to your question because Permaculture isn't really a system, rather it is a philosophy, a concept, which can take on an esoteric (and for me spiritual) nature and meaning. It is a philosophy that allows for a wide range of systems tailored to local conditions. Whilst some organic methods of gardening/living may indeed represent a part of a permaculture system, there are many organic systems that I would not consider permaculture systems. There is Organic and there is Organic. And then there is permaculture.

I live by a quote of Ghandi's - "Be the change that you wish to see in the world". Permaculture is the change I wish to see. I have taken the concept to mean all things environmental, spiritual, personal and cultural. It is what is best for my soul and what is best for the souls of my children and all the children to come. It is consciousness in an unconscious world. Awareness in a world of the unaware. It's cool man. And it's a path I truly believe will lead me to enlightenment. Perhaps when I leave this earth no one will notice the places I stood. I think the principles of permaculture are equally at home in the mind, body and spirit as they are in the vegie patch or the sustainable home. Breath in breath out.

Permaculture is the meditation of man and woman with nature.

12. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I asked a great friend what Permaculture was several years ago and his response was simple but life changing.

He said, "Go for a walk in the bush - thats permaculture in action" He went on to explain the basic principles of how it works in a domestic sense.

I look at permaculture today as any system that is self supportive of both plant and animal alike. We can add to it, take away from it or leave it to itself and it will continue to be supportive.

"Created" permaculture systems are typically a system within a Microclimate but can exist on a larger scale.

13. trishandpete

Thanks for these responses, everyone. I'm on board. Was hoping to be doing a PDC in a week or so, but I haven't been able to take the leave needed. In order to get started I've been reading heaps and am just about to start my garden. Have done a modified mandala layout with a stringline in a roughly north/south orientation, about 14m diameter. The ground is hard at this time of year, and I've been reading a lot on this discussion forum and in books about the comparitive merits of dig-no dig. The orchard (25 trees, mixed fruit and nut) was easy over winter to dig, but a few weeks of sun has made the garden area hard. So am going for the no-dig method. Am about to lay down sheet mulch, compost and straw. Until I'm ready to live on the property, can't have chooks, but am working on the design of the hen house. Getting some koala food trees in just before summer, so all going to plan. Mark, we will be in Bendigo all weekends in October, bar next weekend, if you are in the area come and have a sticky beak. Maybe a TGIF glass of wine with us in Bendigo. Trish

14. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I just came across some old writings from an old rocket scientist.
    They need to be preserved here.

On forums

15. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Nice pick up MA - well worth recording. And it highlighted the thread which was before my time - sad to say.