The Damn Nuclear Lobby Manipulating Greenhouse Fears

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by aslanded, Aug 11, 2008.

1. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

Hi Folks, yes its me again, you may remember me from such popular forum topics as "Making Alcohol and Sticking it to the Oily Men" and other hit rants.

Well the latest little paranoia to invade my comfortable world is the horror I keep stumbling across, of the Nuclear Lobbies renewed fervor and far reaching influences into forums, newspapers, and all the other pop media outlets. With quiet whispers and blatant propaganda promoting the saving graces of this misunderstood technology.

The horrors of nuclear waste and radiation poisoning for eternity don't seem to get mentioned in their spiels. The timing is right for their last great push and because they are linked to the arms industry they receive huge amounts of funding. They are now trying to convince the masses that renewable research and potential isn't going to save us. Its the corporates option for maintaining centralized control of energy production, at a time when we are capable of cutting our consumption on a massive scale and producing a far greater proportion of our energy on a personal level. The more we rely on the corporations for our survival, the more control they will have over our lives, and they don't have our best interests at heart by a long shot.

That noodle Lovelock didn't do the world any favors when he freaked out about how long his beloved Gaia had left before it became a Martian landscape. A scorching desert sandstorm is far nicer when it doesn't contain radioactive dust.

The worst thing that ever happened on this planet was mankind's discovery of nuclear energy. leukemia is the most horrible way to die. The US spends 750 Million or so dollars a day fighting in Iraq. This is money generated by people like you and me and used to maim, kill and subdue an entire ancient and wonderful civilization, turning it into another African, or South American style war zone, while siphoning off the wealth and resources. Part of the process is to radiate the desert with depleted uranium so that the people die slowly and inevitably of horrible radiation induced sicknesses.

What I'm trying to start up here is a discussion of what we can do to combat this movement to produce more radioactive waste and weapons. Once these places are dosed with the radiation they are dead for all intensive purposes for all eternity. If we dont act now to start producing our own electricity and campaign for more renewables, and put more of our own money and resources into utilizing the existing technology, along with making a massive effort to cut our energy use, then this is what our government will be forced to turn to. The nuclear lobby will take charge and we will be that much closer to poisoning all the life off this planet for good.

Cheers for the ears

Jo

2. springtide

springtide Junior Member

Re: The Damn Nuclear Lobby Manipulating Greenhouse Fears

One thing to look out for is plug in hybrid cars - to be released in a year or so by GM or Chinese battery companies. at present my current house uses around 10 kw - pretty standard. My 4 cylinder cruises on about 1/3 power around 30kw, i cruise to and from work for an hour using 30 kw, my wife drives a small lpg 4wd for another say 20kw.
    Lets pretend petrol prices hit 2.50 (likely) and in China these cars are going to be sold for 12 to 25k (which they are) then lets pretend lots of people buy them (which they will) so our house and lots of others go from consumming 10kw to 60kw each (sounds fair). Electricity demand,prices and shortages are then going to go nuts and people will probably go "nuclear - yeah ok" (because they just will).

At least it takes a few years to get planning, then 3-5 years to construct them and who knows what will happen in the interim.
    :drinkers:

3. frosty

frosty Junior Member

I just happen to have this article handy - came in my emails the other day

more later :wink: I am a committed anti nuke campaigner

frosty

4. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

Regarding the fridge that runs without electricity..and slightly related to this. Thanks for the feedback, we have to spread the word.

https://permaculture.org.au/2008/08/11/a ... lectricity

Overjoyed. I'm now convinced that we can reduce our energy consumption to at least 1/10th of what we currently use without altering our quality of life in a negative way.

This was the last piece in the equation...(actually the washing machine still has me stumped)

Post more info if possible.

I think it needs a plastic pull out lining which would hold all the food, so you could grab your bucket of chilled vegies take what you needed and then return the lot to the chiller.

In fact we could probably chill entire shopping centers using this porus material and sand/water combination. Its just a different approach to the cooling towers we currently use with water sprayed into a tower and air passed through it. Maybe the porus material could be on the roof and the natural air and sun would cool the building by evaporation. If there was a glass ceiling over it the water could be collected and recycled. If it were clean Sea Water the salt and the pure fresh water could be collected, and no chemicals need be used to keep the air sterile. The only problem shopping centers have is cooling as the heat load of the people, lights, refrigerators (see its related!) heats the building many times over. Just another example of the sickening waste which our industrialized cities perpetuate through no concern for the energy consumption needed. Fortunately legislation is changing, but make sure that if any building goes up near you it is five or six star energy rated. Its up to you! Six star means it has innovative technology for saving energy and is pushing the limits to new levels. Any energy hungry buildings and trust me most of them are obscene, will be around for a long time causing their occupants pain and the world to expire faster, needlessly burning energy until they are refitted or rebuilt. Do everyone a favor, do the world a favor and go out of your way to insist five or six star energy complience ( https://www.abcb.gov.au/go/eehousing_p1 ) for any new building, especially by councils who can lead by example and large corporate ventures, who use the most energy.

Lets do this!

5. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

Frosty,
    Theres no doubt for the majority of the world that Obama may be our only hope for any sort of rational progress. If the republicans steal the elections again, and they have been busy putting the pieces in place: https://www.gregpalast.com/the-razorcake ... #more-2061 , then I don't hold much hope for humanity.

I was in the States the last time the republicans fiddled the numbers and bamboozled the masses with saturation of media hype. Clearly their agenda is manufacturing the need for weapons, chemicals from pesticides to pharmaceuticals, biological warfare from contamination of the genes in our food to the utilisation of CIA anthrax to scare opposition democrats into submission after 9-11, and maintaining the energy empires by utilizing the military to steal from weaker nations and feeding the tax payers lies about the need for the nuclear industry.

As an aside, we are now growing GM canola here in Australia https://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 209686.htm , which will be mixed into any product which contains vegetable oils. Fortunately canola isnt really a food oil

"Canola Oil is derived from the Rape plant which is poisonous. Canola oil's real name is "LEAR" oil (Low Erucic Acid Rape). It is more commonly known as "rape oil," a semi-drying oil that is used as a lubricant, fuel, soap base, synthetic rubber base, and as an illuminant to give color pages in magazines their slick look. In short it is an industrial oil that does not belong in the human body. It is typically referred to in light industry as a penetrating oil." - https://www.antiaginglifeextension.com/h ... 1563&c=&p=

So it wont be a large part of the discerning foodies diet. But our friends and family will be eating the wax they make out of it by adding extra hydrogen atoms to the chains and marketing it as margarine. As well as all the processed food in supermarkets which contains vegetable oils, of which as it is cheapest, canola is the major oil. And once the precedent is set theres no reason they won't introduce the GM corn, some which produce pesticide and produce liver damage in rats https://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=18863 and others which are said to make men sterile in Mexico from this strain manufactured by the company Epicyte https://www.biotech-info.net/conception.html

I wish Obama could deliver the world from all of these horrors, clearly he cant but he will at least be less involved with these corporations who are central to the Republicans. Of course Bill Clinton corrupted the FDA and unleashed the horrors of GM upon the world for Monsanto https://pittsburgh.indymedia.org/news/2008/03/29083.php so we can only hope that all the democrats aren't equally in Monsanto's pocket.

Apparently we are entering a new era in Australia according to a sociologist I heard on Radio National the other day. The Greenhouse scare combined with the petrol and interest rate hikes has woken us up from a thirty year slumber where we were introspective and selfish and suffering from fatigue from so much change. Apparently now we have become concerned about one issue, global warming, it has made us aware of a lot more of the world around us and take more interest in the suffering of others. One can only hope. Thirty years with your head up your own butt is a long time to forge bad habits.

6. trippytoads

trippytoads Junior Member

It's obvious that the nuclear waste issue has no good solution. The real big problem in the states is that the public is basically retarded. We've been mentally domesticated to expect that miracles in technology are going to fix everything including nuclear waste. Most people don't know much about radiation or nuclear waste and the environmental impacts. Consequences are not something that we think about over here. We're sort of the blind optimistic fairy tail sort.

A good example of this is the GAO (Government Accountability Office) report on the Washington State Hanford site. This report shows that the DoE (Department of Energy) costs for cleanup are rising and that they are unlikely to meet the already extended goals for cleanup. We already have over 60 containers of the 161 leaking radioactive waste into the ground water. This was all suppose to be cleaned up by 2028 but the DoE is rescheduling for 2047 and even that date looks unlikely. In the mean time we still have high strontium-90 levels in the columbia river and there are reports of levels being detected in species above the contamination sites. This means that it is in the food web and spreading. However nobody reads and no body will spend the time needed to think about uncomfortable realities like these. Most americans have never herd of the GAO, Hanford, or anything related, but just ask them what was on TV last night and they'll tell you.

So education is the issue. This is the need. Our culture doesn't ask individuals to seek out information. Rather it gives the people the tools needed to ignore issues. "Don't worry", someone else who is trained will take care of it for you.

I think each area (towns, cities, etc) should start some sort of group (yahoo groups, meetup, etc) to write down in the simplest form the issues with nuclear waste. The goal is to engage the public not to change their minds but to get them thinking. The evidence will speak for itself. We don't want to push them away. Just get them involved in their lives. That's all.

Although I hate killing trees for paper, but pamphlet may be a good approach in some areas. We need to share information with ourselves too so that the core message can be as effective as possible. Source your material so that your audience can look deeper and form their own opinions.

The wastes and risks themselves need to become common language. Strontium-90, iodine-131, etc. People have to be able to speak about the pieces of the problem or else it will never form in their observations. Language is key. It helps us see.

We need strong numbers like the cost of the cleanup and the amount of electricity that a plant can produce over it's lifetime. If people see the overall costs then that helps form a clear picture what we are really spending on this form of electricity (health, environment, security, etc)

The question remains: How do you get a large number of people to make good choices instead of reactionary ones?

Well that's all I could come up with. I think that there are plenty of options for making a difference but to be effective we have to be realistic about what we are trying to change. The subject of attention in the publics daily lives seems to be a good start. People need to start thinking about the costs.

todd

7. Jana

Jana Junior Member

"They" are trying to hold onto the reigns. Using tax payers money to subsidize passe technology...uranium will run out in 50 years, and it will take 10 years or more to build new Nuke-power stations. The people need to avoid paying taxes as much as possible and invest in the research on alternatives...within 5 years we will have multiple Hydrogen, solar and zeropoint energy methods. Even biodiesel will be obsolete.
    By tying up tax-payers money in obsolete centralized power systems the old-school think they can maintain their control. :finga:
    But they cannot maintain their control. The tide has shifted.
    Still the new wave will not stop them water leaching the earths crust for that deadly poison...and killing half the population.
    I am reading Nuclear Suicide by Walter Russell...1957; the dangers of radioactivity let loose on the earths crust and in the stratosphere are beyond our imaginations ability to conceive.
    If certain factions weren't evil and greedy the species would even now no longer need hydrocarbons or nuclear...even living in caves is far more "sensible: to the way the power mongers are playing things out.

8. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

sadly of course all, our neighbours and friend and other members of our communities have no knowledge or opinion other than they need power and how they get it concerns them not. apart from a few of us in forums like this the other 99.9% could care less until something happens then they say why weren't we told.

and 'frosty' don't hold you breath on what any newly elected pollie may deliver, look at our mr krudd, held out lots of hope and delivered nothing, and when the crunch comes he will sanction nuce power stations and when it all goes wrong he will blame the scientific opinion that pulled his puppet like strings.

just how i see it.

len

9. Jana

Jana Junior Member

Technique for imploding nuclear waste:
    Yull Brown, an American immigrant from Bulgaria, discovered that a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen gases combined in stochiometrically exact proportions (as in water) do not explode when lit as every scientist in the world assured him it would. Instead it implodes and burns with a flame possessing very strange properties. It has no problem burning under water and in fact can weld things under water including things impossible to weld such as metal to brick or different metals. The temperature of the blue part of the flame, usually the hottest, is room temperature and you can pass your hand through it. Yet, it will heat up to whatever temperature is required to annihilate whatever it is applied to. It can become hotter than the average temperature of the sun and vaporize tungsten, for example. Actually vaporize is the wrong word. The end of the flame doesn't become yellow and dance like an ordinary torch. Instead, it implodes and whatever it touches implodes with it and simply disappears! It even vaporizes atomic waste, reducing its radioactivity to almost zero.

Found here:
    TACHYON ENERGY
    https://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Ar ... erry_Wolke —What is Tachyon Energy

Tachyon Energy: A New Paradigm in Holistic Healing by Gabriel Cousens and David Wagner

https://peswiki.com/energy/Directory:Suppression
    David G. Yurth, Ph.D. Director Science and Technology
    Nuclear Remediation Technologies, In disposing of radioactive waste in https://peswiki.com/energy/Directory:Sup ... _Materials

10. Julian

Julian Junior Member

where DO you find this rubbish Jana? or more importantly, do you actually read it or even believe it? you re confusing chemical reactions at the molecular level as having effect on reactions occurring at the nuclear/sub-atomic level. besides, if any of this stuff was even remotely based on fact, dont you think the nuke industry wouldve leapt onto it like a hawk? :|

anyway, the vast amounts being wasted on cold fusion research (something that has supposedly been 'just around the corner' for about 50 years) also troubles me - had these funds been directed into implementing, increasing the efficiency and lowering costs of renewables, who knows where we would be now.

11. trippytoads

trippytoads Junior Member

Jana your posts of this nonsense makes the permaculture world look crazy. It's really hard to show people a new approach to living when they find insane posts like yours. It's embarrassing and counter productive.

12. Julian

Julian Junior Member

Seriously, how is her rubbish ANY different to the nutters on street corners telling us we're all doomed to hell unless we repent and accept jeebus into our hearts right now?
    embarassing isnt a strong enough word. sometimes i begin to think this sort of stuff actually comes from a right-wing/vested interest background in order to make this greenie/permie stuff look silly, waffly and airy-fairy.