Sand filter replacement in wastewater management systems

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Stevef, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Stevef

Stevef Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

I'm thinking of putting in an Eco safe wastewater management system and this type of system has a sand filter used as a secondary filtration system. I heard on site the other day at work (I'm a sparky) that people have been pulling out the sand filter part of the this type of system (Note sure if they were Eco safes systems) due to them being clogged up due to fats getting into the sand filter which blocks them up and renders the filter useless.

Has anyone ever experienced this for themselves or have you got a Eco safe system that you've had for years and haven't had any problems with it ?

All the best

Steve

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Re: Sand filter replacement in wastewater management systems

Hiya Stevef,

Welcome to the forum.

I grew up on a primative greywater system with a large family and a corner store type shop. The system worked fine but it did have an effective grease trap that required cleaning occasionally. This wasn't such an issue either as it was buried reasonably deeply in the vegie garden and became a worm haven after a few months. I do know that as much of the fat, oil and grease, as could be, was intercepted before it hit the sink and used to add to animal diets. The sink was never considered a disposal unit for any of this stuff.

The outfall was directed next to a row of grape vines on the edge of a major road into 4'' clay drainage pipes and was a popular spot for myself and local fisherman to collect big earthworms.

At present I am designing a new greywater system and want to run it thru a grease trap first.

Cheers,

3. jkshed

jkshed Junior Member

Hi Steve,

We have a NatureFlow system with a sand filter. It's been in 5 years and have had no problems with grease and fats with no grease trap on the system. We had a problem last year where the pipe leading to the filter cracked due to movement of the tank. This forced dirt into the filter pipes and it had to be replaced. When it was dug up, the filter pipes were just white plumbing pipe arranged in an H shape with holes drilled in the bottom. This sits on top of the sand which sits on some sort of waterproof fabric to collect to filtered water and direct it back to the tank. The owner's manual does say you need to be careful with fats and oils down the sink. Wipe pans out with paper towel before washing if needed.

I don't know how the sullage tanks in the Eco -safe differ from the Nature flow and whether this would affect to grease etc. Our wastewater goes through two settling chambers before being pumped to the sand filter.

Jo.

4. Stevef

Stevef Junior Member

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the replies

Steve

5. GusRuss89

GusRuss89 New Member

6. april_luv

april_luv Guest

NatureFlow system is a good option. Hundreds of litres can be purified for each cent of operating cost. No chlorine taste or corrosion problems. Environmentally responsible.