my slug farm

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by katrina, Jul 19, 2008.

1. katrina

katrina Junior Member

grrrrrr.... when i go out at night my plants (lettuce, tatsoi, coriander,peas, spinach and celery in particular) are hosting a ridiculous number of tiny weeny insy winsy slugs. they don't appear to like the organic snail pellets i got from diggers. i'm so over removing them by hand, as they are prolific and fiddly due to their small size and it's now terribly cold here in southern, coastal victoria at night and it takes a long time to get even a fraction of them with my hands getting number and number . i'm hoping for some suggestions. I have tried crushing eggshells around plants, but that doesn't seem to do the trick, either,
    thanks, kat

2. openeyes

openeyes Junior Member

IT Consultant
    Climate:
    Temperate
    Re: my slug farm

Hi,

I wholely recommend beer on a shallow tray for both slugs and snails.

Easiest application - take a 2 litre empty plastic milk bottle and cut it in half a long the length. Bury it in the ground on its side with about half a centimetre out of the ground. pour beer into the container - say one centimetre deep - best filled at dusk so the alcohol is still in there at night. Slugs slide on in and come to their end. Restock the beer every few days (pour out the old stuff).

Conversely ducks are the best snail and slug removers and you get delicious eggs and ducks in return!

Good Luck

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hey openeyes,

Can ducks work at night, do they need those little LED lights?

From my experience I know that ducks eat slugs, sometimes.... Ducks will happily paddle round at night, do they eat slugs at night? Just my question...

cheers,

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

How can ducks be any good in this situation? I would find that they have eaten all of the plants by morning.

5. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Katrina, what country are you in?

What is the brand of slug poison are you using, and what is the active ingredient?

Sue

6. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Salt kills slugs

but many such as the Leopard slug only eat rotting vegetation and left over cat food- and do no harm to live plants.