set up of wind energy for private home as cheap as possible

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Eden, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Eden

Eden New Member

Hi Permies with wind
    I would like to obtain some information on how to set up an inexpensive wind energy system. I am on 5 acres located on the Central Coast of NSW. My house is 4.1 metres above ground and I have a defunct gal post that is another 4 metres in the air secured to a verandah post. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Eden .

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: set up of wind energy for private home as cheap as possible

g'day eden,

i have some recently acquired links to homemade or diy wind generation, on our sustainability page.

also saw a bbc tv show called 'scrapheap challenge' in the last week or so (on abc free to air tv) where the challenge was to make wind powered coffee grinders, anyway in the process they showed a community (not commune) just a ram shackle of huts and cabins up in the north of scotland somewhere, where they have no grid power, and huge amounts of wind. they make their own propellors and masts and use truck/bus generators as the power source. i have been trying to find a contact but to no avail at this point in time, as is the case lots of these things come on when we aren't prepared, people in the village have online facilities.

also there is a show coming on one the sattelite channels 'ask ted or ed' i think it is called the topic is somethin g to do with using windpower for electricity but the interesting bit is they showed a wind turbine similar in appearance to those roof ventilaters, being used as a wind generator driver. i'll try and be more attentive and let you know more if i learn more.

also got a link to a diy extruded pipe type hotwater system.

len

3. GoddamnBats

GoddamnBats Junior Member

For $500.00 from Ebay or Jaycar, you can get a 300 watt turbine. It's good for TV, lighting and laptop with 3 deep cycle batteries. Cheaper than that though...maybe gardenlen is right, head to the local tip and investigate? I know you can make a turbine out of old washing machine motors, just search for home-made wind generators and it should come up.

4. shortly

shortly Junior Member

this guy might be a good place to start, paticulary if your handy
    https://www.thebackshed.com

5. Suzie

Suzie Junior Member

Hi,
    In Tasmania there are a few farmers getting wind turbines from o/seas countries who are upgrading and selling their
    older/smaller technology off "cheaply". This probably isn't much help as I don't know prices or details. I will find out more
    from my Engineer uncle who was showing me one of these set ups on a farm - and I will get back to you.