Thoughts on harnessing the potential of perm.

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by inahd, Jun 11, 2008.

1. inahd

inahd Junior Member

I would like to share with you my musings on harnesing the potential of permaculture philosophy. the political, environmental, and economic impact of permaculture make it nothing less than revolutionary. This does not however, in and of itself, make it potent. therefore we find permaculture to be constantly growing and taking in new and useful things; expanding and collaborating with other groups. practitioners of a wide variety of arts and crafts are provided supply from the gardener, and a gardener appreciates all of the different skills which those people have. everyone needs food, and actually everyone has something they can offer. Administration is required in order to make this possible.

Currently there is no governmental support, nor do they understand or want to understand how to support developement in accordance with natures law. therefore this is a grassroots developement, while people currently are administrating through various business models or even perhaps some non profit organizations, these are largely unconnected and incapable of dynamic progress due to the restrictive nature of such ventures. As i see it, we must first overcome this compartmentalization if we are to succeed in achieving potent action.

Symbiotic actions between the spectrum of life is the highest goal of permaculture, this is far beyond gardening. This is actually Varnasrama Dharma. The widely detested caste system of India is in fact a perverted degeneration of an ancient system of administration, based on nature's laws. To explain it is another thread in itself, but it is essentially still comprised of the same four 'casts'. The difference is that it is based on the quality of the individual, not his parents or family. one person is naturally attracted to study, while another is attracted to dance, or theatre, or fighting, or nothing. whatever it is you will find it if you are exposed to it and given opportunity to pursue it.

Thus maximum exposure and ample opportunity must be the goal. At this point i am going to stop rambling and put down a little bit about practical action strategies before i run out of steam:)

These are all maturing concepts and perhaps region specific, please pick over them and suggest how they can be improved or modified to be used in your situation.

1. Permaculture Roams (Wolf Totem) - You move about with your pack, in your roam (neighborhood/country/world), protecting yours while increasing your territory. Native Americans practiced this kind of husbandry. establishing wild berry orchards from a clump of berry bushes they passed, they could then come back seasonally to reap the abundant fruits of their minimal labor. so we can do this to, on a local, national, and international basis. look and the rainbow family and how they move from one month festival to one month festival, holding workshops and having drum circles and food circles ceaselessly.

2. permaculture pools (mushroom totem) - spreading out across the earth, a network fine as lace, sharing resources and consciousness. The internet provides undeniable accessibility to people in your locality and beyond. i envision a database which is user supported, that provides relevant knowledge to permaculture, specific to your climate. see what plant guilds are being successfully used by people in your area/zone, what native varieties are available and what has been successfully imported. search plants according to various filters and find people and resources in your area.

well, that's all i've got at the moment. i'm sure i didn't go into to much detail, but i'd rather see what other people think before going further into any particular area. hopefully this topic will stimulate interesting conversation. thank you.

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Re: Thoughts on harnessing the potential of perm.

inahd,

Nice post. From my limited observations, on a forum like this. Your post posed more questions about who you are than your perspective. Permaculture is absolutely about who, what and WHERE you are. Hypotheticals, however well meaning, are hypotheticals.

Introduce yourself and whilst I do not speak for anyone else here. You will probably get an answer. Musings are excellent, sadly, they generally require specific answers.

My thoughts anyways..

cheers,

3. inahd

inahd Junior Member

Re: Thoughts on harnessing the potential of perm.

hmm, why would anyone want to know who i am? these are only hypothetical until people are inspired to act. i myself have been trying to put together some websites, but am not html savvy. as far as the roam, no friends will come with me...

4. inahd

inahd Junior Member

well for the sake of response, since this thread has had 420 something views and one reply...

umm, I am inahD.

I am born in the krsna consciousness movement, these 25 years. my mother and father came from respectively jewish and christian background. i am a highschool dropout, who has attempted to supplement his own education. the vedic scriptures of india provided many complex sciences such as history, political science, medicine, military, plant medicine... but most importantly is the spiritual science, which all other science is based on. in addition i have studied modern histories and technologies etc. with a view from the past.

i have done some non profit work with the krsna consciousness movement, and i have gone out distributing literature for periods of time, but i cannot say anything dynamically satisfying enough happened with organizations, and the book distribution is swwweet as but requiring an iron will to endure.

this roam i described in my previous post is the result of my dissatisfaction with the international society for krsna consciousness, in their current governing model. the founder was a most amazing person, capable of fulfilling all roles and remaining detached. this is called sanatan dharma, as opposed to varnasrama dharma and practiced by bhakti yogis. it is not to be done if you have on single speck of material attachment left, but it has now become the fashion that people should do like this. so we have impotence in our leaders, cause they are all trying to be brahmins, but acting like sudras. you only get their bad qualities! warriors act like mice cause they are trying to be brahmins...

i would like to put together a festival, which is specifically but not exclusively for the youth. in short it will be like a more workshop oriented rainbow gathering, moving from temple to temple, and once established into the ghettos and such. teach people how to heal their bodies and lifestyles, put in some solar powered water heaters and city gardening workshops. most importantly is people will find their dharma, or quality; and have a good time doing it!

i hope this gives people ideas. i would personally like to see many permaculture activists, rainbow kids, craftsmen, artisans and teachers of all kinds get involved with this. people all over the world are awaking to this renaissance, and i believe it is time to call our banners. i have been working to open up lines of communication and collaboration between various like minded factions. rainbow kids meet on neutral ground, in the forest. they replant the area with native species after they leave and teach people about the plants while they're there. i would like to do this on krsna's land because there are communities surrounding them. even if the temple property is sold (which happens when things really start happening, or some legal trouble, or something), the individual properties around the temple owned by people are another thing. the amount of attention this kind of festival brings will make it difficult to stop really, and the people are really trying to provide alternative education to their children and humanity at large. these centers worldwide can become educational facilities worthy of their founder, A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami.

i hope this provokes dialogue :)