Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by sushil yadav, Jul 7, 2005.

1. sushil yadav

sushil yadav Junior Member

Forest,
    You said my article gets removed from forums.

I suggest you do a search on the topic.

sushil_yadav

2. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hey Guys,

I started reading this thread then I just got out my tape measure and measured it. NO WAY I'm reading through it. Shit! I've had my bath and 2 glasses of red wine tonight. NO WAY!

One of you interlectuals are going to have to read it and summarise it in 200 words or less.

Christopher, your post was VEWWY SHORT!!! I was VEWWY DISAPPOINTED!!! Get your ruler and measure it!!! ( that bloody backspace button again :roll: )

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

EDITED TO ADD: THIS FLUFF IS INTENDED AS A PIECE OF HUMOUR FOR TAM. ITS SOLE PURPOSE IS TO PUT A SMILE ON TAMS FACE. IT IS ALSO INTENDED ONLY FOR TAMS EYES, SO PLEASE STOP READING IT RIGHT NOW. STOP. HEY, YOU ARE STILL READING IT. HALT, PROCED NO FURTHER. ANYWAY, SINCE I AM POWERLESS TO STOP ANYONE FROM READING IT, I WILL RESPECTFULLY ASK THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T LIKE LONG WINDED AND BORING POSTS TO SKIP IT.

THANK YOU AND ON INTO THE MEAT OF THE MATTER:

Hi Tam,

(Edited to add THREE words, additions in bold) I'M VEWWY VEWWY Sorry. I got told the other day that I am long winded and boring, so I am trying, dessperately, which, I admit, is difficult, considering my tendencies, which practically verge on a "condition", to run on and on (and on and on and on) to use a sparce economy of words, to cut to the bone, cut to the chase, remove all the fat, streamline, make more efficient, bang into shape, condense, compact, reduce, minimize and whittle down my posts, moving straight to the essence, which would make them leaner, cleaner, easier to read, easy to comprehend (especially important, these days), and would result in them being more accesable to some who, incredibly, seem to not understand some of what I say (can you imagine such a thing?).

So, in the interest of keeping my posts smaller, I have decided to stop using larger words, well, actually, perhaps reducing the usage of these words is my true intention, (though, in practice this has not yet been borne out, since I like to roam around the English language, looking for the most appropriate and descriptive words, utilizing them in precise applications to punctuate my points), as well as use less words to communicate.

Never the less, by applying strict guidelines and more general rules of the road, especially reducing and eliminating fluff, or containing it in small doses, unless it is romantic fluff (and while I love axe wielding women who fly on pigs, I also really go for blue ladies with knobby knees who kill small predators with their bare hands, in the moonlight :love7: ), or consigning them to either appropriate places OR circumstances, and has been placed in the appropriate fluffy posts will enable the new fluff free, reduced fat healthy organic posts to stay on the shelves for longer lengths of time before they get, um, overcooked, burnt or flamed out.

Now, coming from that startling new perspective, which is the result of a dramatic, sweeping paradigm shift, I have seen also that I have allowed myself to be drawn into various unfortunate misuderstandings and, perhaps, depending on your POV, altercations, which, in the interest of peace in the house I shall endeavour not to go into, either in the past tense, ie, going over them here with you, or to enter into them in the future, so suffice it to say that in the future I will strenuously and at all cost avoid certain people. Real fruitcakes and guys who toot their own horns will get a wide berth into the unforeseen future, so that one day, when the sun sets, all memories of such events have faded into the well deserved obscurity and dust and detritus of the past that they so richly deserve, and the odor of malignancy shall evaporate like a nasty fart.

Henceforth and forthwith, myself, referered to in previous posts as, um, "me" will continue being "me", even if some people (unfortunate Round Up enthusiasts, who, if I was being impolitic might be called "misinformed" or "deluded", and I am not calling them that here, though, of course the toxicity of Round Up is well attested to on line, and a figure of %20 success rates in suicide by Round Up, um, yes, well, where were we?) would like "me" to be someone else, or, probably, considering their behaviour, somewhere else.

I shall remain, as ever, here, wherever here might be. I think I need to make here be the kitchen, which, actually is over there, but once I am there, I will be here, or, rather, here will be there, where a cup of coffee will magically materialize after i make a fire and gind some beans, and using mystical alchemical properties called "brewing" and judicious quantities of ground beans, exact measurements of boiling water, sugar and milk will make some coffee, which I hope to enjoy on the veranda with my wonderful and, truth be known, wonderfully tolerant wife, Dawn.

Sorry for the uncharacteristic brevity, Tam. It won't happen again. I have merely lost my wind, temporarily. I expect to find it, somewhere, over the ra... never mind. You can expect long winded, informative, or perhaps boring, depending on your point of view, posts again, in the near future....

To summarize the concepts that Sushil has put forth would take a while, but I would say that I liked reading it because it changes perspectives on things. Some of it is a bit, um, esoteric, and I can see that a few people don't agree with the concepts, perhaps because they find them too esoteric and maybe that makes them uncomfortable (true cost accounting does that, too), or perhaps too word heavy, but I found portions of what was written in that post to be wonderfully evocative. Sushil raises some good points, and touches on issues related to "being" which we would all do well to at least consider.

So, Tam, waddaya think? That long enough for you this time? I can post all day on Sunday, but, um, I got other things to do. This should be in Fluff, but here it is.

Much love to you....

Christopher

4. frosty

frosty Junior Member

christopher

ok I am guity of peeking in on your public private message to Tam :shock: having contracted CDD from you - no blame intended I know you are just a generous person who loves to share everything 8) it seems that I have also contracted the accompanying compulsion to read all and any CDD attacks

there is only one thing I can say
    [​IMG]

and christopher since you were so intersted and are a great friend here is another one just for you

[​IMG]

frosty

BTW I admit I didnt read shishils post word for word but I think I got the genreal gist of it and it does give something to think about ............I certainly see no problem with it being here[/img]

5. forest

forest Junior Member

sushil_yadav, I suggest you read my post. I said I go to a forum where ... "They are usually removed from the forum."

6. christopher

Frosty,

Well, you were allowed to read it....

So sorry for having infected you with CDD. You will remember, those many months ago, could almost be a year now, right? A year or four months, something like that? Give or take eight months.... when you diagnosed me with this rare disease... so sorry to hear you have it to.

Anyway, the one thing you can say, a picture probably worth a million words (says me, with a million words to give) doesn't load. Couldja, puhleeeeze load me another one? mebbe smaller? Or send it via email.

Anyway, Sushil, where are you going with this? Is this a one time event, or is there more to what this is about?

I encourage you to write more as it is thought provoking. Don't worry about getting flamed. Some people will see the value of what you are saying, even of they don't entirely agree with some of what you are saying or don't get what you are saying completely (like me...!).

C

7. christopher

Frosty,

Thanks for the graphics and the sentiments behind the graphis. I like cyber hugs :lol: , anyway, just stopped in coming from new kitchen. With two stones to go, we are now almost done and the stone counter will be the next step.

Dinner bell's ringing at the old kitchen, yo, so I is audi, Check?

You are a wonderful human being!

Don't go changin'!

C

8. sushil yadav

Christopher,

You have asked me to write more on the topic.

It has taken me close to 20 years to write this article.
    I suppose my next post will come after 20 years.

I am seeking help from volunteers in spreading this message[article] far and wide.

spread it far
    spread it wide
    spread it my friend
    with all your might

sushil_yadav

9. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Sushil has flushed out some deep-thinking here.

I ran a tape over the post too, read some and realised I dont have the intellectual horsepower to grapple, conceptually, with a lot of it.

I can say that i agree with her, him, him, her & her. As well as him, her, him, her, her, him, him & him.

I am outta here and will hang round the chook & piggy threads from now on.. :roll: :shock:

Keep up the good work,

Floot

10. Ichsani

Ichsani Junior Member

Hi Sushil, this post is for your original message.....

I almost don't know where to start. However that usually means starting with myself. As a side line to skill-training as a scientist (multi-disciplinary, environmental focus.....so jill of many sciences, mistress of none :lol: ) I have a keen interest in the humanities field as well. I notice your post is from India, which means that you are writing from quite a different culture than the one I live in. I can't possibly hope to appreciate all that you do from your point of view, though neither can you of mine. I figure that makes the differences about equal.

................so to cut it short, your post is very interesting.

...........I have no wish to be a volunteer, but i can offer something else. Please note that what I am about to attempt is constructive criticism to try to help you along with your 'path of thought/emotion'.....

Okay. Here goes from the beginning 8)

Yes ultimately all issues are interlinked. However what you propose is not a scientific experiment. It asks for Science to validate a Philosophy. Simply because everything may just conceivably be united in a great continuous mysterious one something……..does not translate to an experiment in a lab. And nor would an experiment in a lab be any sort of basis for such a claim.
    Have you heard of Plato's Cave? And the fate that awaits those that return? Science has been used in the past as an excuse for and a tool of, various philosophies/cultural practices/policies. I suggest that you investigate the subject of Eugenics for an example of why we must be cautious in how knowledge is used.

The confusion of "Science" and "Society" is deep and tricky territory...(try Bruno Latour "The Politics of Nature") when concepts of "Nature" , "Environment" and "God" are added the water becomes more and more murky.

These words (above in the little " " ) do not really have singular definitions, its not 'one way or the highway'......have a look at the 'define chemical' post for an example. So to say "the Environment" for example, is not really saying anything definitive at all. Do you understand what I mean? These big title words (" ") serve to simply highlight an area of emotive thought that has no singular understanding. "Science" cannot prove one way over all others, because all ways have the potential to be valid. "Science" can indicate information about the 'outside' or "Nature" , but it is "Society" that is the medium through which things are done. How many screaming scientists does it take to get George Bush and John Howard to sign the Kyoto Protocol?

Having said all that, back to the topic.

Biochemical response, emotion, thought appear to be one and the same thing. In that thought/emotion (however one wants to ascribe them) are simultaneous with chemical changes. But its really not that simple. It's not really known (scientifically, but religiously it is dealt with extensively) how they are connected. That is mystery of Life stuff, and the science that comes closest to it is quantum mechanics (have a look at a website called 'whatthebleep', or check out something by Fritjov Capra, there are heaps of books)

A little of what I have come across- cellular receptors change with time in regards to the "Environment" that the organism is in, becoming sensitised or desensitised, this is as broad as whether your mother had enough physical contact with you, to under/over exposure to chemical substances. Roughly inside influences and outside influences.
    -the brain only 'sees' certain things….that is, what is consciously observed is never 'the entire external reality' (if there really is one!). In short, the brain vets information in order of relevance………something seen hundreds of times in fast succession will become less relevant or highly relevant to the brain, slowing images down does seem to increase the duration of a particular emotion……….however, it's a bit of a cinematic trick……a marketing ploy, emotive responses are what people pay to have at the movies….what is at the movies or in pop culture is how people begin to learn how they are expected to act in 'Society', unless they have good guidance from elsewhere …………..its this that would seem to be of more concern, where is the quality information? What motivates the current ethos of 'Society'……..however right here it is important to note that there are many societies, and to lump them together is to do injustice to the people of each culture. There are no silver bullets, even though that is what pollies seem to flog.

Yes where is that permaculture politician?

…….I would suggest that it is not the fast visuals or information overload itself………..but people themselves…….one has to consent and buy a ticket to see a movie for example……

……'Society' makes the rules….and it is up to society, or the general consensus of people, or just individuals that decide not to do something, to work things like this out…….what would they care if a “Scientist” said “this is bad that is good”, these sentences are said all the time…….and are often retracted or countered after by other scientists not long after……….if you want to make a move to a more peaceful “society” alternatives need to be demonstrated. People get sick of being told what to do…..show them how good the change has been for you! Do something. Do a Ghandi-'Be the change you want to see'……this spreads far better than words, experiments, and admonitions……..because it is real and an experience, not a fantasy, nor armchair politics/science/farming..........whoever wrote that in a previous post is very cool........

ok, hope there's something in there for you. Good Luck :wink:

Ichsani

11. sushil yadav

Thanks to all - for expressing your views.

There was a time when Man used to say –

I work in order to feed my family.
    I work in order to put Food on the Table.

Today man is putting a lot more than Food on the Table.

Cars, Computers, ipods, Aeroplanes, 200 TV Channels, Luxury Yatchs, Caribbean Vacations, Palatial Homes, Video Phones, Designer Clothes, Designer Drugs, Cosmetic Surgery …………… The list is endless.

Man is putting thousands of consumer goods and services on the Table.
    There is too much weight on the Table.
    And the Table has begun to creak.

The more you put on your table the more you take out from the mouths of Animals and Birds.

The more you put on your table the more you kill Animals and Trees.

The more you put on your table the more you kill Water, Air and Land.

The more you put on your table the more you kill Mountains and Valleys.

The more you put on your table the more you kill the Sky and Oceans - the Rivers and Lakes.

There are so many things on the Table that one can barely see the Food.

We need just a few things to live.
    And we are making thousands of things.

Billions of people are engaged in making, buying and selling of thousands of consumer goods.

Destroy Shopping Culture.
    Destroy Industrial Society.

Go back to Simple Living.
    Go back to putting just Food on the Table.

sushil_yadav

12. christopher

Sushil,

This is much more concise and less esoteric than your initial post, and I think even those who were more inclined to dismiss what you were saying then will agree with the points here.

I go to the US once every year or two, and visit with my father, or one of my brothers, and the last time I was there I went to a Walmart, which was the most depressing experience becaus I could see that EVERYTHIN being bought would not last more than two or three years, and that this was the apogee of many of these peoples lives, this buyning of junk was the high point for many of the people.

The store was huge and cavernsous, well lit, with row after row of shelves, and the shelves were stocked from top to bottom with JUNK. It was horribly depressing.

While there were a few things that I would have bought (we were buying trunks to travel with), the vast majority of the items on the shefl were cheap, disposable, utter crap. I was walking through a box designed to incite people to fork over their hard earned cash in exchange for some low quality goods that wouldn't last very long... and I saw the whole store as nothing more than a gigantic landfill in escrow.

The discussion of food has come up here, too, and I think many people in the first worlds relation to food is like their relationship to the sort of goods I saw at Walmart: they buy junk because junk is cheap (subsidized and not taking into account true cost economics of "cheap" food, soil depletion, chemicals pumped into the biosphere, use of 10 calories petroleum for 1 calorie of food, nitrogen rich run off from fields where chemical fertilizers have been applied, centralized food production, food distributed over huge distances, etc, etc, etc,).

The table, as you put it, is in danger of collapsing, but as a species we have been conditioned to buy, consume, spend, (this also came up in another thread, with Mr Meato and Ms Products), and for most people, constantly bombarded with messages about consumption,slowing down, stopping, breathing, engaging in a non-consumer relationship with the larger world is difficult because the act of consumption (purchasin, using, eating... etc) defines their concept ot leisure, is itself the apogee of contentment.

Anyway, there are plenty here who are enjoying lives that are less consumptive, that are enjoying lives that are productive, who get satisfaction fom rainbows, and flowers and hummingbirds, from moonlight through the branches and fish breaching the water, from fresh fruit and good food, who are working to make the changes you are touching on.

So the question is, since most in here will understand and agree with what you have just written, how do you make what you are saying palatable and conceptually non threatening (and anytime you question someones assumption about their consumption they will feel threatened and attacked, from the cosumption of factory farmed meat, to GMO crops, to the use of Round Up or other biocides with long term unintended consequences)?

I, for one, and am enjoying your thoughts. Please share more!

C

13. sushil yadav

Lifestyle of Mass Destruction.

Destruction is an inherent feature of Development.

Progress = Destruction of Nature.
    Development = Destruction of Nature.

We can have Sustainable Lifestyle.
    We cannot have Sustainable Development.

Development can never be sustainable.
    Sustainability and Development cannot exist together.

Development and Sustainability are opposites.
    Development and Sustainability are contradictory.

Sustainable Living is associated with consuming less – being satisfied with a simple and frugal life.
    Development is associated with never ending desires – always wanting more.

Sustainable lifestyle requires Constancy.
    Sustainable lifestyle requires Sameness.
    Sustainable lifestyle requires Repetition.

Development is associated with Change.
    Development is associated with New.
    Development is associated with Transience.

Industrial Societies can never be sustainable – When you make thousands of consumer goods you kill Nature - you kill Animals, Trees, Air, Water and Land.

A Society that does mental work [city based] can never be sustainable - it will keep on making consumer goods - destroying the environment moment by moment.

Only agriculture-based societies that do physical work can be sustainable.

The term Sustainable Development is like the terms

Stationary Walk.
    Silent Talk.
    Wakeful Sleep.
    Dark Sun
    Gentle Torture.
    Dry Rain.
    Peaceful War.

sushil_yadav

[ I request readers to share this article with other people ]

14. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

well, that was fun. i think i've been at it for about 3-hours; reading it, that is. i still don't think i've got my mind around everything that you wrote in your original post, sushil. i may have another go at reading that one in a week or two, (but probably i'll just let it slide like all the other stuff i mean to get back to one day...). i must say though, i admire the fact that you've obviously put so much 'thought' into it.

concerning your later posts: i can relate to these more easily, and here are a couple of things i'd like to offer. i hasten to add, all of the following is based on my personal belief, and by stating it i in no way wish to invalidate the beliefs of you, or anyone else for that matter.

"we can have sustainable lifestyle" - true, but only up to a point. somewhere along the continuum of time, all things must change. nothing lasts forever. planets come, and planets go. entire solor systems are in a constant state of flux. the universe is only as constant as time allows it to be. all will change.

take ourselves for example; with every breath we take, we move one step closer to the end of our current existence. our next breath could be the last we take in our current form. we are conceived, born, live, age, develop illness/disease, and then we die. over and over again we take this road of birth and death, only to be reborn again. we have done this since 'beginingless time'. how long is that? i don't know. i can't comprehend the notion, but i'm working on it :).

as for the other end of the path, well, i'm still working on that too, and i think i'll be at it for quite some time to come. permaculture helps; it helps me live in the right here and now, and that is all i ever try to 'think' about. if all i can do is think about what it is that i'm doing at any precise point in time, then i am sure to take into account my actions upon the future of my existence. that's good for me, and ultimately, good for every other sentient being. all i have to do now, is try to remember to think!

i further admire your courage in stating what it is that you believe in, sushil. undoubtably someone, somewhere is going to attack you for stating your beliefs. but if by stating them you cause just one other sentient being to look a little deeper into his or her mind, then that can't be all that bad.

for anyone who is interested, i saw this movie recently and i'm going to see it again, and again, and again:

https://www.whatthebleep.com/

its got more science in it than you could poke a thermometer at; more esoterics than a gold-coast sunday market; more openness than a mardi gras; and more questions than you could ever hope to answer in a million lifetimes. if you (like i) enjoy being challenged, delighted, inspired, confounded - i urge you to watch it. it's a bit like reading sushil's posts, actually.

cheerio sushil, and all. peace and love to you all.

15. sushil yadav

Dear friends,

I have made some additions to the article "Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment". To read the modified article please follow any of these links :

ePhilosopher
    Corrupt
    ForeignPolicy

sushil_yadav

16. sushil yadav

Man can repair and restore things that have been made by man himself. Car, Computer, Aeroplane, Rocket - if anything goes wrong with these things man can repair and restore.

Man cannot repair and restore Nature/ Environment - because man did not make Nature/ Environment. Once a Forest is destroyed - it is gone for millions of years. One cannot create a Forest in 5 or 50 years - it takes millions of years to make a forest - containing millions of species of animals, insects, birds, plants and trees. Man can create a plantation in 5 or 50 years - not a forest.

The only way to save Environment is by not destroying it - leave it alone - leave it undisturbed. If you destroy Environment you cannot repair and restore it.

sushil_yadav

ePhilosopher
    Corrupt
    ForeignPolicy

17. sushil yadav

This is a request to the Moderators.

When I had started the thread "Industrial Society Destroys Mind and Environment" in 2005 there were two or three subforums and I think I had posted in a sub forum with a different name than "Planting, growing,nurturing". Now there are six subforums and I want to request the Moderators to shift this thread to "The Big Picture" Forum which is more suitable for the content of the thread. Please let me know if this is possible. Thank you.

sushil_yadav

18. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Yeah I agree With our resident Guru that this deserves a more suitable Forum, and "the Big Picture" would be his most logical choice

Tezza

19. sushil yadav

When we make consumer goods we kill Animals/ Trees, Air/ Water and Land - directly or indirectly.

Industrial Society destroys ecosystems - all Industrial Societies destroy ecosystems.

It hardly matters whether it is "Capitalist Industrial Society" - "Communist Industrial Society" - or "Socialist Industrial Society".

Industrial Society destroys ecosystems at every stage of its functioning - when consumer goods are produced - when consumer goods are used - when consumer goods are discarded/ recycled.

Raw material for industry is obtained by cutting up Forests. It is extracted by mining/ digging up the earth. It comes by destroying/ killing Trees, Animals and Land.

Industries/ Factories use Water. The water that comes out of Factories is contaminated with hundreds of toxic chemicals. Industry kills Water. What to speak of Rivers - entire Oceans have been polluted.

Industry/ Factories burn millions of tonnes of fuel and when raw material is melted/ heated up, hundreds of toxic chemicals are released into the atmosphere. Industry kills Air.

Industrial Society has covered millions of square miles of land with cement and concrete. Industry kills Land.

When consumer goods are discarded/ thrown away in landfills it again leads to destruction of ecosystems.

When consumer goods are recycled, hundreds of toxic chemicals are released into air, water and land.

Consumer goods are sold/ marketed through a network of millions of kilometers of rail / road network and shipping routes which causes destruction of all ecosystems that come in the way.

Growth Rate - Economy Rate - GDP.

These are figures of "crimes against Nature".
    These are figures of "destruction of Ecosystems".
    These are figures of "Insanity, Abnormality and Criminality".

sushil_yadav
    ePhilosopher
    Corrupt
    ForeignPolicy

20. caldera

caldera Junior Member

I urge all peoples to *Copy and Paste* above post and Email John Howard

[​IMG]

The Hon John Winston Howard MP is the 25th person to occupy the office of Prime Minister since Federation. He was sworn in as Prime Minister of Australia on 11 March 1996, following the Coalition’s decisive Federal election victory on 2 March 1996. Mr Howard was subsequently re-elected at elections in 1998, 2001 and 2004.

The Prime Minister represents the Federal seat of Bennelong in the north-western suburbs of Sydney and has been returned to the Parliament at every Federal election since 1974.

The Hon John Howard, PM

The Hon John Howard, PM
    Source: AUSPIC

Mr Howard came to office as Prime Minister with extensive senior experience in both government and opposition. He was appointed Minister for Business and Consumer Affairs in 1975 at the age of 36 and subsequently served as Minister for Special Trade Negotiations and as Treasurer of the Commonwealth for over five years.

In September 1985 Mr Howard, as Deputy Leader, was elected by his colleagues as Leader of the Parliamentary Liberal Party and, therefore, Leader of the Opposition. He held this post until May 1989. He was returned to the leadership by unanimous vote of his colleagues on 30 January 1995. In the interim period between holding the leadership he served as Coalition spokesman for a number of senior portfolios.

Mr Howard was born in Sydney on 26 July 1939, attending school at Earlwood Primary and Canterbury Boys’ High. He went on to the University of Sydney, graduated with a Bachelor of Laws in 1961 and was admitted as a solicitor of the New South Wales Supreme Court in July 1962. Prior to his election to Parliament he was a partner in a Sydney firm of solicitors.

The Prime Minister has been active in the Liberal Party since the age of 18 when he joined the Young Liberal Movement and participated in student politics at university.

In addition to his life-long commitment to public service and the Liberal Party, Mr Howard is a keen follower of sport - particularly cricket. He enjoys playing tennis and golf and follows the St George Rugby League football team.

Mr Howard married his wife Janette, a teacher by profession, on 4 April 1971. They have three adult children, Melanie, Tim and Richard. As Prime Minister Mr Howard divides his time between Kirribilli House in Sydney, The Lodge in Canberra and, of course, his official commitments in other state capital cities, regional centres, rural Australia and overseas.