Weeds - do you get of them?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by troselli, May 21, 2008.

1. troselli

troselli New Member

Hi,

I’m a member of an intentional community in SE Queensland. Our community is deciding on whether to accept some funding from the EPA for a weed eradication program (which is also linked to a proposal to become a nature refuge). I have done a permaculture course many years ago and remember the permaculture philosophy of ‘there’s no such thing as a weed’. There are a number of weeds to be targeted in the eradication program they include moth-vine (looks like a choko but isn’t), blackberry, privet and tree of heaven. I would like to get the permaculture perspective on whether it’s best to eradicate these weeds or ‘let nature take it’s course’. What are the pro’s and cons of such a program?

These weeds have heavily affected our riparian areas and there has been an argument that these weeds actually hold the creek banks together along with providing a nursery environment for native flora and fauna which then plays a role in the natural re-growth in the area. Do you think this argument is valid? what would be the implications if we just left these weeds?

I’m also interested to know if anyone out there has decided to go into an arrangement with a government organization (in QLD it’s the EPA) to become a nature refuge – has it been a positive experience? Any pitfalls?

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Tim

2. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Re: Weeds - do you get of them?

as long as you replace them with something better, yes, they are weeds and yes, they should be controlled and gotten rid of.

3. derekh

derekh Junior Member

I'm actually doing Revegetation as part of my Cert III Horticulture this semester. So here's my 2 cents worth.

I agree they should be removed but in a controlled manner. If you charge in there and rip everything out in one hit, then sure you'll damage the creek banks and destroy the nursery habitat. It'll take some time and maintenance but you'll make a difference. Revegetation and weed control requires ongoing maintenance because there is a saying "one year of seed, seven years of weed". We removed all the seed heads and discarded them offsite and then hand weeded. If we could not remove the weed without disturbing the soil then we cut the weed stem and applied a 60/40 water/glyphosate mix.

Check out Google and read up on the Bradley Method of revegetation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_method_of_bush_regeneration

cheers
    Derek

4. gardenaholic

gardenaholic Junior Member

In my area they have declared radiata pines a weed such that they are going to start enforce people to remove them. It has already caused problem on one of the forshores with erosion. We have several on our place which grew by self-seeding. They provide a great windbreak, in summer it lowers the temperature around our hous. The cones provide food for the birds. Because of the root system they stablise the gum trees. When people took theirs out the gums either died or blew over. I see it as part of own eco-sytem that has been here before we came. I think you have to look at the merits of any weeds before deciding to remove them

5. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

You could look at the 'weeds' as a resource that you are planning to harvest (for timber, composting, whatever). Take a gradual approach, harvesting one area at a time and establishing your succession plantings (obviously non-weed species) so you don't disturb river banks, ground cover, young trees, etc.

6. Susan

Susan Junior Member

Because I live in the Blue Mountains Heritage Area and for any one who doesn't know the area, there are 26 towns and villages that are located on the ridge tops through the centre of the National Park so this is a subject that is discussed regularly between bush regenerators and residents. From my small experience in Conservation and Land Management of the four weeds you mention - moth vine, blackberry, privet and tree of heaven, the first 2 are by no way going to be nursery plants. They will smoother any native vegetation and change the ecosystem (micro-climate and nutrients) so that few of the original plants will grow. If the later 2 are truley holding the banks of your riparian zone they may be best coppiced say yearly rather than poison then the river bank is held untill other trees are on site and the pruning will prevent seed spread.
    I would trust the experts
    Susan

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

There is probably no such thing as a useless plant at least they can make compost mulch or charcoal.
    Privet was introudced into Australia to make Yorshire style "hedge" fences.
    Not anyone's best idea
    It produces a lot of pollen so is aproblem to many with asthmatic type problems
    privet is next to useless but just ripping out weed without replacing them can lead to erossion and other problems

Tree of heaven I don't know But the Chinese value it highly. perhaps you could sell it to Chinese harbalists?
    status
    (https://www.southeastweeds.org.au/index.pl?page=86

Wiki says
    Here is a PDF file of interest on eradicating the plant and making money at the same time for your weeds eradication group.
    https://www.forestprod.org/smallwood06becker.pdf

https://library.thinkquest.org/03oct/00240/troh.htm

8. Michaelangelica

https://www.farmgate.uiuc.edu/archive/20 ... ave_s.html
    interesting article on resistance and also the exact way round up works
    If you do use it use Round Up/agent orange use the Biactive version is is supposed not to kill frogs- not like the older (3years ago) version

9. Michaelangelica

Glyphosate

https://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/nation ... 53007.aspx