Atrazine Herbicide Disrupts Human Hormone Activity - Study

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Michaelangelica, May 13, 2008.

1. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Pakonohida no offense taken and I wish I still had your fire ..............

but over many many years I have campaigned against pesticides, industrial pollution, and now days military pollution you still never get the "average wanker " to care ..........they just call you a nut ........ and if you tell the neighbours you dont like spraying they may just spray you out of spite .......... if you ask the Shire not to spray your road verge they label you a trouble maker and make your life difficult ...........I have contacted politicians so much over the years that many of their assistants know me well .........it sounds bitter but in the long run nothing changes - as I said Greed still rules and the destruction of the planet marches on ..........

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I tend to agree Frosty. It is virtually impossible to change another persons mind, even presenting them with compelling evidence or 'proof' has little effect and can actually galvanise their previous opinion.

The only thing we can do is change our own behaviour, and that means analysing exactly what it is you are doing. If you shop at a supermarket, or buy anything other than organic, unprocessed foods then you are supporting conventional agriculture and all its trappings. If you buy clothing made in China, you are supporting globalisation including slave labour, high energy consumption and all of the other hidden costs to the environment. The point is, unless you change yourself totally, to distance yourself from the demand chain for all of these destructive practices and if you think that by telling your neighbours or your local council or the government that they are wrong, you are just pissing into the wind. Walk the walk first and then when and if you ever get that sorted then start talking the talk.

This has nothing to do with other people and it has everything to do with YOU.

IMNSHO

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I get composted on daily, but at the same time I need to keep going, and keep my property safe. Because we are supposed to work from zone 0 out, I think the change starts with our friends and community. I don't mean with regards to Permaculture per say in this case, but as in the case of chemicals, and herbicides. Gentle nudges, or a letter to the local paper editor work wonders.

For every ten times I have been composted on in the last week, I had 1 person understand... ..and that meant a lot.

4. frosty

frosty Junior Member

I agree Graham ........ and I believe we do "walk the walk" much more than most people - and certainly a lot more than anyone living arround here

we do only eat Organic food or homegrown

I havent set foot in a stupidmarket for over 10 years

we are carbon neutral for power - our GF system produces much more than we buy - we also have a small stand alone system and a solar pumping system

we do drive a van but only the minimum necessary and we are working on growing more so we drive even less

we would NEVER fly

I guess our main vice is using the computer and internet but it is using solar power

5. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Frosty, you are one of my heros. Nice to find you here, still.

6. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

Yes thank you for your input Frosty I have alot to learn from you.
    and Cristopher you are a beacon of common sense permaculture.

7. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Of course I didn't mean you Frosty. I meant YOU [Insert Uncle Sam type finger pointing] and of course I can't yet exclude myself from that. But everyday my family drifts a little bit closer to self-sufficiency or what ever else we want to call it.

Keep up the great walk all you walk-walkers out there. And for the talk-talkers, perhaps we could all consider a little less talk and a little more walk.

8. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Hey Chris great to see you are still arround too :) when you get time it would be great to get a report of what is happening at your place 8)

permasculpture :blush: I dont know that I can teach anyone much .........everything I know about permaculture I learnt here on this board 8)....... I stumbled across it in mid 2005 just knowing permaculture was sort of like Organic ....... we were already into Organics so I hung arround :D I am still hanging arround and read the forum every day even if I dont post much

I think Chris and I may be the only 2 from back then still visiting ?

Graham we all have a long way to go but the main thing is to keep working on it :y:

9. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You might not think you are teaching frosty - but there's plenty of folk out there, myself included, who have learnt stuff from you...

10. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

[video]https://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/05/20/3223018.htm[/video]
    Cluster fears remain in Northern Rivers district
    Published: Friday, May 20, 2011 7:30 AEST
    Expires: Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:30 AEST
    An area in New South Wales's north which has seen a spike in the number of babies born with organs outside their bodies has now been linked to a neurological disease.

11. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

That has to be the most terrifying thing I have read yet. and please don't stop.

12. Michaelangelica

Cluster fears remain in Northern Rivers district
    Published: Friday, May 20, 2011 7:30 AEST
    Expires: Thursday, August 18, 2011 7:30 AEST
    An area in New South Wales's north which has seen a spike in the number of babies born with organs outside their bodies has now been linked to a neurological disease.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/05/20/3223018.htm
    No cause for concern Gastroschisis rates usually 1 in 10,000 live births. Now 1in 800/900 an 10xs increase No not a problem. and no we will not give you acopy of our report. Are these guys apologists for pesticide industry or there to protect our health? you wonder
    Twice as likely to get Parkinsons if you live in the country

Agrichemicals in surface water and birth defects in the United States.
    Winchester PD. Huskins J. Ying J.
    Acta Paediatrica. 98(4):664-9, 2009 Apr.

Assessing the toxicity and teratogenicity of pond water in north-central Minnesota to amphibians.
    Bridges C. Little E. Gardiner D. Petty J. Huckins J.
    Environmental Science & Pollution Research. 11(4):233-9, 2004.

Anyone in Queensland have stats for that State?

[​IMG]
    Gastroschisis

Some more research
    There is little evidence for a genetic cause in the development of gastroschisis and much evidence supporting the possibility that environmental teratogens are important contributors to the development of this defect.
    Clinical risk factors for gastroschisis and omphalocele in humans: A review of the literature
    Frolov P., Alali J., Klein M.D.
    Pediatric Surgery International 2010 26:12 (1135-1148)

We concluded that gastroschisis is becoming the more common congenital abdominal wall defect, and that it could be related to exposure to an environmental teratogen.
    Contribution of demographic and environmental factors to the etiology of gastroschisis: A hypothesis
    Drongowski R.A., Smith Jr. R.K., Goran A.G., Klein M.D.
    Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy 1991 6:1-2 (14-27)
    women relying on public water systems that draw from a surface water source have an elevated risk. These findings suggest the possibility of a contaminant found in higher levels in surface water compared to groundwater.
    Tracing drinking water to its source: An ecological study of the relationship between textile mills and gastroschisis in North Carolina
    Elisabeth D. Roota, b, , and Michael E. Emchc, d

Recent reports indicate that gastroschisis is increasing in prevalence,
    . There is no doubt that environmental factors may be responsible,

Teratogens inducing congenital abdominal wall defects in animal models
    Dennis R. Van Dorp, John M. Malleis, Brian P. Sullivan and Michael D. Klein
    PEDIATRIC SURGERY INTERNATIONAL
    Volume 26, Number 2, 127-139, DOI: 10.1007/s00383-009-2482-z

the increasing prevalence of gastroschisis in recent years observed by several birth defects surveillance systems, and the frequent occurrence of gastroschisis in a cluster pattern.
    Non-genetic risk factors for gastroschisis†‡§
    Sonja A. Rasmussen¶, Jaime L. Frías‖
    Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008
    DOI: 10.1002/ajmg.c.30175

We present a brief review of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase pathway and its relationship to vasculogenesis, suggesting that disruption of this pathway by environmental exposures or by genetic variation may represent one pathogenetic model for gastroschisis.
    Gastroschisis: A gene–environment model involving the VEGF–NOS3 pathway†
    Edward J. Lammer‡, David M. Iovannisci‡, Lauren Tom§, Kathy Schultz¶, Gary M. Shaw‖
    Article first published online: 24 JUL 2008

DOI: 10.1002/ajmg.c.30182

Gastroschisis is an abdominal wall defect more prevalent in offspring of young mothers. It is known to be increasing in prevalence despite the general decrease in the proportion of births to young European women. We investigated whether the increase in prevalence was restricted to the high-risk younger mothers. We analysed 936 cases of gastroschisis from 25 population-based registries in 15 European countries, 1980–2002.. . .

. . .
    There were geographical differences within Europe, with higher rates of gastroschisis in the UK, and lower rates in Italy. . .
    After standardising for regional variation, our results showed that the increase in risk over time was the same for mothers of all ages – the increase for mothers

13. Michaelangelica

14. annette

annette Junior Member

Well they are happy and healthy at my place. I have graceful tree frogs, eastern sedgewicks and the common tree frog all breeding in my old pool. Of course I have no chemicals or pesticides here. It's amazing to watch the froggy mating rituals, a bit of splashing and wrestling and then the egg laying. No wonder i get nothing done around here, too much going on in nature.