growing mushrooms

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by IntensiveGardener, Apr 29, 2008.

1. IntensiveGardener

IntensiveGardener Junior Member

hi all,
    I'v been looking into increasing my winter food production and it occured to me that growing mushrooms might be worth a go. I'm just unsure as to how to go about it. I get the occasional field mushroom (edible) which are very nice but i'd like more. Do i need to buy the spores? or can i just pinch them from the existing mushroom population? Will i need to heat the growing area?
    i'v got an old book on the topic but it insists that i need to make or purchase mushroom compost.
    any advise or experience would be much appreciated.
    IG

2. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

Re: growing mushrooms

Hey IG !

If you want an awesome book on the topic, I'd suggest:
    https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Gourmet-M ... 338&sr=8-1
    ... or anything by Paul Stamets really.

All you really need is the spore. It's usually best to buy them... unless you're *very* sure you've got an edible in your hands, then you could just use those spores. With an existing mushroom, either soak them in water, making a "spore tea"... or, put the mushroom (gills down), between some paper or pieces of glass. The spores should drop soon after.

As for propagating in the garden, one method is to do it on straw or wood chips. With the wood chips, make sure they are freshly cut. If they are not, or with straw, you'll want to boil/steam them in order to sanitize/sterilize any mycelium that may exist on the material.
    Then... spread it out, water it, spread the spore out, cover it... then keep it moist. Viola !

That is my attempt to explain it, from one who hasn't done it yet, but read the book ;) The straw I got had tons of other mycelium on it, so I had bunches of random mushrooms growing in my garden instead. Non-edibles probably... but can't be positive, as I don't have a field guide !

Mushrooms are awesome. I think they should definitely be in almost all gardens. Good luck !
    ==
    Dylan

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

A quick and easy way to get started is to buy spent mushroom compost from a mushroom farm. I do this, and sit the packets down and harvest the last batches of mushrooms that grow from it before using it in the garden. Last year I made myself sick of mushrooms as I got so many. You will need to find a warm place to keep them in winter as they don't seem as productive in the colder weather as I am discovering.
    They love being watered with rain water for a bumper crop.
    It's a win, win situation as you get food, compost and it only cost a couple of dollars.

4. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

cosmic, that's the best thing ive heard all day :D
    that most definitely sounds like the way to go.

soooo wish i had a nearby mushroom farm. can't even buy them in the local stores :(

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
  6. Cosmic

Cosmic Junior Member

Pictures of my mushrooms growing under the mulch. They are all warm, moist and protected from the sun all day as well as bugs. This is all grown from spent mushroom compost placed onto the garden. I now have more mushrooms than I can eat!
    Also, view my aspargus growing out of the mushroom compost. They loved it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't seem to find anything but the thumbnails in my gallery. Go there to try and see the bigger versions.

7. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

8. Raymondo

Raymondo Junior Member

I checked a few fungi on the AQIS ICON database and it seems mushroom spore are either prohibited entry or require permits and certificates, too expensive for the home grower. The Funky Fungi website doesn't appear to sell spore, at least not at the moment. I can get kits for common mushrooms at my local produce store but not for yummy swiss browns or shitakes for example.
    Anyone know a book on Australian edible fungi?

9. gardenaholic

gardenaholic Junior Member

There is an Australian distrubutor of these seeds, but they do not include the mushroom varieties. I asked them if it was possible to get them and they told me there was very little request for them so it would be difficult to get them in small amounts. You might be able to contact them and stimulate some interest. I too would like to get some spawn as have both field and pine mushrooms growing wild.

https://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/12

ps. They have a fantastic range, huge amount of seeds per container and the best value around.

10. Raymondo

Raymondo Junior Member

11. gardenaholic

gardenaholic Junior Member

I had seen and used the Australian site for ordering but it was only on viewing the other overseas site that I was aware of other goodies on offer. I had hoped that they might have increased the range available here in Australia. Imagine if we could also grow our own truffles!!!!

12. Raymondo

Raymondo Junior Member

That would be a treat!
    There are a number of native truffles but I have no idea which, if any, are edible.

13. gypsyoak

gypsyoak Junior Member

Actually you can buy truffle trees in oz. I think they are oaks with french black truffle spores.
    From memory they were $50 a tree.

I'll see if I can find the site and pop back later.

Are there any organic ways of growing mushrooms or are the boxes organic?

14. gypsyoak

gypsyoak Junior Member

15. Noz

Noz Junior Member

Hi All
    I'm getting pretty excited about growing mushrooms. I've simplified the process by simply steaming brown rice in the jar that I want to use to grow the mycelium culture & using sterile scissors to drop tiny pieces of the gills in & shaking with the lid on... do you think this will work?
    Now I'm wondering if the Swiss Brown will grow successfully on newspaper - it is certainly a good source of cellulose!& a good way to recycle.
    Anyone growing successfully at home in WA?

___

This didn't work, I' not sure why, but I'll be trying organic rye next time for the starter.

16. worowa

worowa Junior Member

Hi all,

I have started a small business making exotic mushroom spawn.

Oyster mushrooms are easy. Shiitakes and other wood lovers are a little harder, but people have been cultivating them for thousands of years-before microscopes, HEPA filters, Bleach etc. Much easier now.
    k303.jpg[/attachment:1qahcskz]

Visit my site at www.Forestfungi.com.au

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Why the Aware washing powder in the bulk substrate?

18. worowa

worowa Junior Member

The "Aware" washing powder helps kill bacteria in the bulk substrate, and is food for the mycelium!

It's not essential, you can pasteurise your bulk substrate with HOT water, or quick lime. In my experiments I've found "Aware" to do a good job. Means I can use grey water from my washing machine to treat bulk loads of woodchips, straw or coir.

It's all biodegradable and non-toxic-plant colloids, zeolite, lime, citrate salt and plant based surfactants.

19. Steven

Steven New Member

Hi everyone

I wanted to know if anyone knows where i can buy a kit or spores to grow porcini mushrooms....any information will help. I live in melbourne victoria

Thanks

Steven

20. Barrymore

Barrymore Guest

There seems to be numerous ways of growing mushrooms.
    To my mind, from what I have read, the easiest way is to place the sterilised spawn/substrate mixture in large plastic bags, place in a dark,cool, humid place. ( a thatched enclosure is ideal)

After about 21 days the mycelium has covered the substrate fully. At this stage one must introduce light
    into the enclosure and cut slits in the bags thru which the mushrooms grow.

Some questions:
    1. After harvesting the mushrooms, what happens next? Do more grow from the same substrate?

2. I asked a supplier of spawn what the shelf life was, as I wished to experiment
    with a small amount. The spawn is sold in 4kg packs (9lbs) which requires approx.100kg (220lb)
    wet, pasteurised substrate.
    The response was:
    "An un-opened bag of spawn can be kept for up to 3 weeks in your
    refrigerator. Once opened, we can not guarantee any contamination won't
    happen.
    Between 20 and 30 kg packed mushrooms can be harvested over a 6 weeks
    period."
    If this is the case then surely this exercise would be futile.

3. From the posts in this forum it all sounds so easy. Yet a one hour video I viewed where the mixture
    is placed in bottles then into a pressure cooker shows the process to be far from easy as they first
    sterilise the room where the work is to be performed, change into clean clothing, sterilise all utensils,
    including the bottles and the cupboard where the bottles are to be kept.etc.etc.
    So, how much attention really needs to be paid to sterilization?