Help with my triamble pumpkins please....

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by gypsyoak, Apr 15, 2008.

1. gypsyoak

gypsyoak Junior Member

I was given some triamble pumpkin seeds and I planted them a while ago. I had 2 grow on one plant and they were the size of about 4 tennis balls. They started turning yellow - which I took as ripening......only to find that where it was yellow, it was really soft. Press it in with your finger soft....The next day patches of it had been eaten away by teeny tiny black sluggy things.
    Now that vine appears to be on the way out but I have about 12 other pumpkins growing on other vines that are really small at the moment. I was just out investigating and found that one (the size of a very large marble) has turned completely yellow and is soft. The large ones that turned yellow - turned within a coupe of days of having reached that size.

I live in the hills in apple / cherry climate country. Any ideas whats happening?

I dearly want to be able to grow enough to eat and save some seed - but we don't appear to make it to that stage.....

Also, aren't triambles supposed to be a bluey grey colour? I can't find much info on them......so if you have any :wink:

Cheers everyone!

2. gypsyoak

gypsyoak Junior Member

Re: Help with my triamble pumpkins please....

ok....well what about other pumpkins or squash? Do any of them do anything similar?

I was thinking perhaps our mornings are sooooo cold (2-3 degrees) at the moment and then it warms to a really nice day (21-25degrees) maybe that is a problem for my wee baby pumpkins......

or perhaps because a very fine winter grass is growing up around them faster than I can keep it down........

i'll just keep plodding away........ :rolleyes:

3. Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen Junior Member

Hi gypsyoak,
    If the mornings are quite cold (where are you?) then the pumpkins are out of season.
    Phil

4. gypsyoak

gypsyoak Junior Member

Hi there!
    I am in the Adelaide Hills. Its not always that cold, but just has been on and off over the last few weeks.

5. ppp

ppp Junior Member

even in brisbane, it's been a bit cool. Over the last week or two, my pumpkins have slowed down and were not looking like being productive any more, so I've pulled them all out. Perhaps you're in the same boat.

6. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hiya,

Your pumpkins simply were not pollinated. Pumpkins are a bees' [or other pollinators favourite] but it appears this has not happened.

Pumpkins have 2 types of flower, male that open in the morning and female flowers which open in the late afternoon. This is to ensure a genetic diversity. Generally even if not pollinated the pumpkin bit of the female flower will continue to grow for a week or so and then give up.

You can help nature out here. When you see a female flower open then collect a couple of male flowers, rip off the petals and insert the stamen into the female flowers.

There are such things as blossom end rot, heliothis grubs etc but generally it is due to lack of pollination.

cheers,

7. gypsyoak

gypsyoak Junior Member

Wow! How interesting!!I didn't realise that they started growing.
    The only thing is the first 2 were the size I would expect a triamble to grow to......
    But it would definately make sense for the small ones!!

Thanks for the pollinating tips though! I'll give that a bash. I have planted nasturtiums
    and a few beds of a flower mix specifically for encouraging good bugs - but they are all only just coming up...

Cheers!!