wind energy

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by missf, Apr 13, 2008.

1. missf

missf Junior Member

Farmer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Dry
    Hi I am considering on setting up wind power to sell back to the grid as I have good wind availability on my property. I would apreciate any information .

2. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

Re: wind energy

In the states, the utility companies have grid-tie "qualifying facilities" guidelines. Each utility company is probably alittle different. Some of them up here want you to carry ungodly insurance coverage. I've searched for grid-tie insurance in Australia and can't find anything. Here are a couple things I found, but your utility company will tell you what you need to do.

Our electric utility requires that not only the grid tie inverter but that all parts of the system to be UL certified and subject to utility inspectors. This means that you have to hire a certified electrician to do the installation and purchase equipment within the specifications of the utility company.
    https://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/07 ... ralian.php

There are many things to consider before I would invest money into something to tie into the power grid. Get with your power company and get their requirments. I know here and most places require a insurance bond just incase the power grid goes down and they are working on it and your equipment fails and send power down the grid and injures or klls someone.
    https://homesteadingtoday.com/archive/in ... 50685.html

https://www.bdbatteries.com/gridtieconsiderations.php

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day missf,

i think 'ojo' has provided some good links there especially the one where the suggestion is go "stand alone".

but jsut as aside, i don't think ther are any rebates of anyhting but solar grid connected, + i'm not sure if anyone has thought out what strings maybe attached when one gets into bed with the gov' and takes a rebate? take teh water tank thingy, everyone who took a rebate is now registered as a tank owner and on the legislation they have the ability to level a flat rate charge for the pleasure of collecting rainwater, our premier has said they aren't going to enact that BUT it is only when?

maybe similar with rebated frid connected solar you may never be able to disconnect from the grid and they could bring all sorts of requirements in which could incur annual fees of sorts, and of course the juicy tarrif carrot is only that a carrot for now.

i would suggest go stand alone, there is another thread in the 'design,building.making powering your life' section in this group, the thread was about specifics on solar power. ther are some good links thoughout the post.

len

4. Parata

Parata Junior Member

I think that contractors that setup solar systems have the most info about connecting to the grid.

I am sure that your local electricity supplier would have 2 words to add ...

In an early post, someone was indicating a link to JAYCAR for wind generators ( around $500/unit - 200W )

If you want to connect back to the grid, I may try to have a "ALL IN ONE" approach where you will be able to feedback electricity generated from multiple sources: wind, solar, biofuel, methane etc ...

I recently bought an acreage on top of a hill, it always windy up there. I may be interested in putting couple wind generators there.

my 2cents worth only comment,

Cheers,

Parata.

5. Parata

Parata Junior Member

6. GoddamnBats

GoddamnBats Junior Member

G'day, I have one of those $500 Jaycar turbines on my property in the WA Wheatbelt. I'm 'stand alone' and it provides all the power I need for tv, laptop, lights (12 volt compact fluros). I have a gas HWS and fridge though, which helps.
    Reccommended for a weekender, I'm out there full time and have no problems with it.

7. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day parata,

if you are still looking to getting into wind power generation for your home, i saw a segment of 'scrapyard challenge' a bbc channel4 production i think? where they featured a scottish community who get lots of wind and very strong at that who make their own generators using truck and bus generators, it also looked like they fashioned their own propellors most more than 3 blade set ups.

i have a couple links to DIY generator making on our site either on the 'eco' home essay' page or the 'sustainability essay' page that might help you, i have been trying to egt more info' on the scottish community not commune, but so far to no avail.

len

8. Raymondo

Raymondo Junior Member

As far as I know, inverters for grid-connected solar do not work with wind turbines and I don't know if wind turbine inverters work with solar, but my guess is they don't. So that would mean having separate inverters for each power source!

9. ppp

ppp Junior Member

of course they will all work.. wind / solar / whatever are all just sources of electricity.
    With the right regulators / inverters etc you can get any of the things you suggest can't be done to work.