Free Mulch - Nth Brisbane

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by bazman, Apr 9, 2008.

1. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi All

I'm close to harvesting my firebreak of summer grass, it's a tall Setaria Grass which makes an excellent mulch, some of this grass grows to over 1.5m high and sometimes needs two passes with the slasher, this year due to hurting my back building my swale I'm not going to try and harvest all the grass myself (by hand), I would say at least half of it will be used onsite, that leaves the other half. which can either rot down onsite of could be collected by someone else, but it has to be picked up by hand, I'll be trying to run the slasher so I get a central windrow (roughly) the area is close to 450m long and 10-15m wide which would work out to a few round bales worth of pretty well organic mulch, This council owned area is land locked and is open by invite only, let me know if you are keen, but it is hard work and you have to be aware of snake's which these grass lands contain many of, that said I have never come across any while harvesting the firebreak (after slashing). Below is some info on Setaria Grass, One more thing it's no good for horse feed (https://www.usyd.edu.au/su/rirdc/articles/disease/bighead1.htm)

https://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/AR9810311.htm
    Genetic analysis in the pasture grass Setaria sphacelata. II. Chemical composition, digestibility and correlations with yield

RA Bray and JB Hacker

Abstract

The progeny of a 7 x 7 diallel cross between plants randomly selected from a segregating tetraploid population (Setaria sphacelata var. sericea and var. splendida) was studied at Lawes, south-east Queensland, over a two year period, together with the parent clones. Plants were harvested at 6-week intervals (9-10 weeks in winter), dry weight was recorded, and family rows were bulked for analysis of in vitro digestibility (DMD) and for multi-element analysis. Concentrations of nitrogen, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium tended to be low in summer, and potassium concentration decreased during the two years of the experiment. In contrast magnesium, calcium and sodium increased. Genetic variance for digestibility was detected for only two of 14 harvests. Additive genetic variance was statistically significant, and generally consistent over harvests for nitrogen, potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium. Family by season and family by year interactions were of a low order, showing that the expression of genetic variance was not strongly influenced by seasonal effects. Additive variance effects were erratic for phosphorus, sulfur, manganese, copper, zinc, silicon, iron, aluminium and boron, and selection for higher or lower concentrations of these elements would be unlikely to be successful. Nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium were negatively and consistently correlated with dry matter yield. Over all harvests r was - 0.64, - 0.16, - 0.77, - 0.30 and - 0.44 respectively. With the possible exception of potassium, selection for higher concentrations of any of these minerals would result in a decrease in yield. Sodium was negatively correlated genetically with nitrogen, potassium, calcium and magnesium on an individual harvest or a season basis. For the total of all 15 harvests values for rg were -0.76, -0.88, -0.21 and -0.73 respectively. Nitrogen, potassium, calcium and magnesium were consistently positively correlated (for all harvests rg - 0.69 for all combinations), and selection for high concentration of any of these elements would result in an increase in the others, but a decrease in sodium. Significant genetic variation was detected for the mineral ratios K:(Ca + Mg) and calcium: phosphorus. However, these ratios are not known to adversely affect production in setaria pastures, and manipulation by breeding is not warranted. These examples show that there is the potential for breeding for mineral ratios in tropical forages.

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: Free Mulch - Nth Brisbane

best mulch baz,

would take it but!!

1.. no trailer.

2.. just had operation on leg.

in a months time operation will be over with hopefully, but the trailer sit' won't change.

len

3. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Len / Bazman,

I think I can help out here. I've got some free time over the next few weekends and a 7 * 5 trailer available. Let me know when I should come over and I may take some myself if there's any left over. PM me or reply here.

cheers
    Derek

4. gardenlen

derek,

you are an amazing soul, always ready to and helping out, still haven't worked out how to repay your last favour.

sundays or through the week suit me guess we can work something out hey?

we could share it as well no worries.

can help with some raking at present.

will pm as well.

5. gardenlen

baz,

when do you plan on doing the slashing?

i am making arrangements with 'derek' for the use of a trailer etc.,.

len

6. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi Len

I have some big feed bags which I use to move the mulch around, they are about the size of a round bale and it lets you compress the grass down too. Makes for easy transporting.

I will need a few days of fine weather before I slash otherwise it just makes for hard work, I won't be slashing this coming weekend as I have plans but could look at going at it the following Saturday (weather permitting) I often let it sit for a week or two to reduce the moisture and over all weight. But your welcome to start at it sooner if you want. Ill PM you both when I slash so you can work out times etc... I will slash out a bit extra behind the dam too as it's really good quality in that area.

Your right Len, it makes bloody great mulch and even better at this price :D

Baz

7. Jez

Jez Junior Member

What a great thread, very heartwarming example of sharing and helping each other.

Onya Baz and Derek.

Hope your leg is better soon Len.

8. gardenlen

g'day baz,

ok you let us know when. i too would like to leave it a few days at least to dry out no good trying to manage that extra moisture. how many of those bags full would there be just for some idea what you will have? about good trailer load should do me i reckon, so long as we get the trailer realy packed.

thanks 'jez' the leg is on the mend.

len

9. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Hi Len

I only have two of those bags as that's all I really need, they have handles to make moving around easier too. I'll have a better idea of how much mulch is made once I cut it, Don't worry we will have more than enough for the three of us.

Baz

10. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I had some light rain on Saturday but not enough to stop me slashing, so it's all done. We just have to set up a time, well any time on a weekend is fine for me.

I had some weed, cotton weed and farmers friends, but not enough to be a real issue, the lane above the dam is not worth collecting due to large amounts of farmer's friends in seed, is it ever not in seed? Any way lots of mulch to be had as I went quite wide on the strip. And if we run short could slash more on the day.

Baz

11. gardenlen

g'day baz,

have despatched p.m to derek re: next sunday for the collection.

len