The QLD government offers solar systems for $1000 !!!

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by ppp, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Loris

Loris Junior Member

Re: The QLD government offers solar systems for $1000 !!!

Just heard on the radio that some solar panel places have lost over 90% of their orders since the rebate cap. This seems to indicate that a lot of the people who were ordering solar panels were in that higher wage bracket. Conversely, it means that people in the low to medium wage bracket must be already so stretched with rent, interest rates, fuel etc that they probably could not consider this purchase even at $1500.00 That would make sense with what everyone has been saying. Did the government know this? If so, they will be saving a huge amount of subsidy money that they will now not have to pay out.

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

This is great, How to kill Australia's domestic solar industry over night. Great to see Peter Garett's strong voice on the subject... :cry:

3. barely run

barely run Junior Member

From what i heard on radio today the solar rebate is means tested at $100,000 combined income. if that is gross income it will stop many people who would be interested in doing it.
    Cathy

4. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Everybody please squawk to your local MP about the new means testing for, and limits to the rebate. The gov'ts reasoning is that the rebate was proving too popular. Too popular? How can an effective solution be TOO popular?

I work for Solar Shop Australia, and I can tell you that most of our customers are not sub-$100K earners and those that are probably can't afford a $1500 - $15,000 solar power system, except maybe the retirees. This is a kick in the nuts to our industry, and will retard progress towards reducing our greenhouse gasses. :cry:

They're also limiting the rebate to 6000 total per year. They were on pace to approve 14,000 Australia-wide this year. So that's a 43% drop in the number of solar power systems that will be installed under Rudd's strategy. The green PM?

Once again the solar industry suffers a severe setback at the hands of wavering government support.

Write your MP's! And our ex-supporter Garrett.

5. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Anyone have an email for Garrett
    cathy

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

on the figures presented i can't blame the gov' for reconsidering, just no return value on the tax dollar spent realy, i mean 14k homes using the smallest amount they can opt to buy what real time difference is that going to make to grid suplied power be like throwing a pebble into the ocean hey?

ok so 14,000 rebates of $8,000 = $112,000,000.00's that's a lot of money that isn't/hasn't likley gone to health care, education and pensioners etc.,. etc.,. most of which has likely gone into cream on the profits of those in the supply chain. so to top that off on the news last night our capt'n bligh said that there are only something less than 700 homes in qld on grid connect rebate systems, and her 1000 plan would do little more than double that, now in real terms that is not going to make much of a difference, the best thing the industry can do to remain sustainable is to develop an affordable system that all in the community can avail of if they desire, and leave the rebate if any (rebates a re poor carrot to dangle) to the consumer.

has anyone ever figured out how many homes would need to be grid connected to make any real measurable savings on power production? what 10% that's not many is it maybe it would realy need 30%, so then the ball is in the industries court !make it affordable, and also include wind power as well for homes why favour one section?

len

7. gardenaholic

gardenaholic Junior Member

I'm disappointed that their has been a change in direction for the solar power systems. If the cost of the systems was less then more people would purchase them. At the moment the rebates only help to make them more affordable. Make them more affordable in the first place. Also if power prices keep going up then people will look for cheaper options. I think change will occur but it will take time with the introduction of cheaper systems. I also like the idea of the government provided low cost loans to help people make these changes.

It is the industry that needs to look for an ideal, cheap model.

I heard someone discussing it and they said that there were considerable savings to be made if there were 20 people signed up for solar in one area and doing this as a collective rather than an individual. They were able to save heaps.

8. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Well, lets see, 10% of homes fully solar powered would reduce grid demand by 10% wouldn't it?

Conveniently, solar generates its highest energy at the peak demand times of the day. This "shaves the peak" off the demand curve. Since the industry has to build enough power plants to meet the peak demand, the more level you get that demand curve, the more utilised the infrastructure is, and the fewer new plants are req'd to meet growth.

Because wind power in urban and suburban environments has many disadvantages. Turbines are heavier than most homes are built to support. They make noise which disturbs residents. They vibrate the structure they're attached to. They spin at high speeds which can be a danger to people and animals.

Solar photovoltaic is quiet and it works. Its only disadvantage is cost. Government support is crucial to getting this climate change solution implemented on a wide scale. In short, these rebate changes will result in fewer systems being installed which isn't really what humanity needs at this stage of the game.

In the interest of full disclosure, I work in the industry, but the above reasons are WHY I chose to work in the industry. Love of solar came first, the job second :)

9. gardenlen

it never works in parctise as it simply does on paper.

so along the trend:

we have say 20million population, so lets say that equates to 5million dwellings/homes ok? so we are reliabley told that app' 10% of the population are pensioners, so that means there are only around 4.5million dwellings left.

now i can't reliably calculate how many folk live in units etc? but say 25%, that leaves 3.4 million possible dwellings, then there are the renters say 1/3? that is around another 1.2 out of the equation which leaves 2.1million possibilities, now out of that i would suggest that 50+% of those will never be able to afford solar, so we are down to around 1.1million possible homes australia wide.

gbell might know how many homes/dwelling actually have solar power, but my guess is it is far an away less of 10% of any figure in the millions, you would need around 100k homes right now with this solar grid idea to be saving the first mentioned on paper 10%. not to mention the owners will need to see a return on investment so they can replace it all by around 25 years time when obsolescence has occurred, & like many water tank owners are those people aware of the dilemnas of getting into bed with the gov'?

is that industry peak power use? the way i see it peak home use is in the mornings early most before the sun can impact the pv cells, and then again late in the day after around 5pm when the sun is setting. for working families with children working or going to school there is often nobody at home most of the day between 8am and 5pm. and not to forget on average there could be 120 days of the year where rain/cloud prevents power being generated.

sounds like you may not be up to date with modern home sized wind generators, those who use wind would certainly like to hear from you, and yes there are wind generators in suburban situations working silently and vibration free (how many sailing yachts have wind generators? lots as i have seen). keep an objective thought process at all times.

and stand alone is still the only way to go.

len

10. gardenlen

g'day,

got me dear john, letter of rejection, missed the ballot leter dated 26,May,2008.

kept forgetting to tell you all.

len

11. ppp

ppp Junior Member

I had a rejection letter too.

I actually think that the whole idea will fall over since the federal government changed the rules. My bet is that much less than the required 1000 people out of the 5000 people will now want to take up a solar system at $9500 ($1500 + the $8000 that the government has taken away)... if you followed the media reports the QLD government will only go ahead if they get 1000 people. If they don't get the thousand then noone gets their system..

Hey Len I think end result of argument is that no-one except those few hard-core people willing to go completely off-grid should get solar or wind or anything. Lets keep burning that coal, I guess.?? I don't see how what you are saying can end with even ONE extra person generating power from home. Are you suggesting it's a bad idea for people to generate their own green power???

I spend around $700 a year on electricity at the moment. Home generation simply doesn't stack up at the moment, and if someone isn't going to help me get solar (or wind), then bugger it, I just won't! I'm willing to put money into it, but I have mortgage to pay too.
    (well, actually, 1 do pay an extra 5 cents per kW to get 100% green energy, is this the option you think everyone should go for?)

Oh, and I know, you'll say "the solar panel manufacturers need to reduce their costs" ,well yes, that might be true, but solar panels are truly expensive things to produce, so I don't think a utopian view of just having cheap solar cells will ever happen... Hey, I just want to understand what you're suggesting should happen.. The WHOLE WORLD will never be off-grid, so personally I don't think that will ever be a solution exept for a select few. I'm throwing an idea out there.. Is the solution that the government mandate an increase of, say, 2% reneable sources per year (untill, say, in 30 years over 60% of all electricity will be produced from renwable sources)???

12. gardenlen

g'day ppp,

also not that 1k homes with a small grid connect would do much more than be "being seen to be green by the gov'". make a bigger ripple throwing a pebble into the ocean.

sorry!! i fully support those who make the effort to go stand alone especially if they go wider and go wind as well, now that up front makes sense, at least you then aren't getting into bed with the Gov' to qualify for a rebate, which is a waste of tax payer dollars, it simply can't deliver well value for money anyway, look at the wider picture how much pollution is caused in making solar alone and then delivering it?

you will go a long way to find where i have bagged anyone going stand alone, not that i bag anyone i like all have the right to voice an opinion. though it will only ever be for the affluent set, and i doubt many of them care enough. i would guess that around 1/3 of the possible 5m residences in australia are owned by poorer people and pensioners who simply don't have the access to affluenza funds, and then i guess there could be another 25% in units or renting? and i guess it'll be a cold day in hell before many landlords spend that sort of capitol expenditure.

yes we spend around $800 on power but we are pensioners so any ""green power"" for us is out of the question.

industry/shopping centres is where power needs to be cut and we all know what would happen there everything we buy on a day to day basis will go up in price. and they for the main won't even consider retro fitting rainwater tanks even if only to flush their automatically wastefull urinals.

i think removing the grab for that huge rebate will drop prices in the industry, if nothing else it will level the playing field, and introduce real competition starting with product and service that hasn't got rebate component in it at any level. i don't go for "feel good" or supporting any lack of "common sense" in our decision making, and at the end of it we live in a community not a solatary cave like existance.

just remember when you sanction building in higher gov' expenditure, that one day those who do support that higher expenditure, may not be as affluently wealthy as they may currently be.

len

13. jkshed

jkshed Junior Member

Re the Qld Govt Ballot. The ballot has been drawn, and apparently 1000 people will get their 1KW systems. The supplier, Eco-Kinetics has offered the same price to those unsuccessful in the ballot and even those who didn't enter the ballot. This is cut from their website:

Due to the excellent purchasing arrangements we have managed to negotiate on the back of the Queensland Solar Homes Program, we are now able to offer photovoltaic energy systems to the Australian market at greatly reduced prices.

We are currently offering a basic 1 kW Grid Connected System for only $8,355.00 including GST (after REC's).

This consists of:

1 kWp Photovoltaic array using high quality solar panels manufactured in Germany
    Roof mounting system
    1 kWp Inverter - 230v AC grid tied inverter certified for connection to Australian electricity grid
    Cable and electrical components for connection to photovoltaic array
    Installation and commissioning:

etc. The website is https://www.eco-kinetics.com.au

14. tiffeny

tiffeny New Member

Hi, I am currently studying to finish my Bachelor's degree in accounting, I'm trying to apply everywhere for a grant. But I'm afraid of scams. Did anybody get a govt. grant and how you did it? I would like to hear a real story from somebody if anyone actually was lucky to receive a government grant and how you made it. Is there any chance to get a grant? Please help me out. Thanks a lot in advance.

15. ppp

ppp Junior Member

tiffeny um, do some reading perhaps?
    https://www.environment.gov.au/settlemen ... index.html

briefly the government provides up to $8000 rebate for households who install a photovoltaic system.
    I am fairly sure you need to own the place.

The queensland Government simply offered to bulk buy units for people.

16. carolynp

carolynp Junior Member

Thought I would add to this topic.
    https://www.localpower.net.au/
    We joined the Local Power buying group earlier this year & had a 2Kwh system installed in May. It cost us about $9000 after rebates & RECS. There were 150 homes in this first group of solar panels installations - various sizes & configurations. The 1Kwh system came in somewhere between $1000 - 1500, after rebates & RECS.
    We have been very happy with the info provided by the group & everything went smoothly - purchase, interaction with govn agencies, installation, connection to grid. The only problem so far has been with Origin, we received our first bill last week & they have charged us for what we have produced - but this has happened to a lot of solar producers this year so we were expecting it - a minor hiccup.

I believe Local Power may organise another buying group this year & I encourage anyone interested to sign up for their newsletters. Also remember that the $100 000 means test will apply on last years income - so for people who will go over this year - now is the time to buy.

I think there are some stuff ups with the way the Qld government will handle the Feed-in tariffs - ie. they will be calculated on net production at any given time instead of for gross production - but overall isn't it better to be producing what you can?

Carolyn

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I think the means testing of solar rebates is a disgrace. Although I don't like to talk income normaly. as a family we miss out on being able to claim the rebate by a beez you know what - and I mean it is that little.

We currently have a solar hot water system which is going to pack it in. I will have no choice but to go non-solar with the replacement, because we simply cannot afford the solar system at the significantly higher price than somebody who earns $2000 less or is fortunate enough not to be a PAYE tax payer and is able to manage all sorts of deductions.

This cannot be good for the environment - but what do you do. I cannot justify taking out a loan to buy solar at full price. IMHO the rebates should be available to all if we are genuine about encouraging people to move to alternative energy.