The QLD government offers solar systems for $1000 !!!

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by ppp, Mar 5, 2008.

1. ppp

ppp Junior Member

After hearing on the news last night, about the queensland government planning to bulk buy 1kW solar systems to bring their cost down to $1000, I looked it up.

MOST importantly, they have said they will only go ahead with it once they have had the full 1000 expressions of interest!

The details as far as I can tell is:
    - the government will buy 1000 1kW solar systems in bulk.
    - after the federal government rebate the price will therefore be brought down to "$1000 to $1500"
    - the trial program will initially include south-east Queensland and the new regional council areas of Cairns, Rockhampton, Fraser Coast and Toowoomba

The system is smaller than I want, but for $1500!!!, that means I can do it now instead of in 5 or 10 years time.

Read up on it here:

https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/environmental ... s_program/

You can email your interest to [email protected]

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up, we too want a system installed and at this price can do it much sooner. My name is on the list as well as a few of my friends.

Baz

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

what's installation going to cost?

len

4. ppp

ppp Junior Member

I understand your post from the other thread going..
    They say $1500 "out of pocket expense". Which I read to mean including installation, I may be wrong, but the govt would be stupid to promise something like this, then make it cost more.. (it would be cheap at twice the price!).

5. Loris

Loris Junior Member

I have been trying to phone the appropriate number to get on the list since yesterday morning and I just get the recording saying that they are too buy answering phones to answer the phone. In other words, they've turned the phone off. Wonder if I will ever get through?

6. ppp

ppp Junior Member

email them!!

by the way gardenlen, I just looked up the information again. They say that
    "out of pocket expenses for household INCLUDING INSTALLATION will be as little as $1000 - $1,500 per system" (my capitalisation)

7. Loris

Loris Junior Member

Thought I'd let you know that I emailed the solar gov thing four times and eventually got through to them on the phone Friday. They say that 5400 people responded in two days. Five of them would be me.

Anyway, they let me know that if I made it onto the registration for the scheme I would be advised by mail and then the final 1000 would be selected by ballot.

Oh well, suppose you have to have your name in the hat to get drawn out.

Also, does anyone know about the rebate from the Federal government for the solar electricity scheme. Apparently, out of approx $15000 spend the fed gov gives you $8000 and the Qld gov the rest so you only spend $1500. Are any of these rebates means tested? Because the rebate to install solar hot water is means tested and I wondered if this on is the same with an income cut off limit.

8. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Loris,

My understanding , though I could be wrong, is that the Queensland government is going to negotiate a bulk price of ~$9500 with a solar supplier. These will be provided, and the $8000 federal grant will bring the price down to ~1500. Usually the supplier claims the $8000 rebate directly, so the consumer shouldn't need to shell out the $9500 then wait for the $8000 back. This is supposed to INCLUDE installation.

I haven't read anywhere about the rebate being means tested.
    Yes, I read that they had over 5000 responses in 48 hours, they sounded suprised with the response, since only ~400 households have grid - connected solar in QLD so far. Maybe they will realise that there is a large number of people who want solar, but that the price is the main factor which prevents it.

Expressions of interest closed after two days, so I guess that means we have a 1 in 5 chance of getting one.

9. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Fingers crossed that we all have some luck.

10. gardenlen

got 3 e/mails back telling me the same thing "due to unprecedented interest in the scheme, nominations where closed at 6pm on the 7th" or words to that effect. mmm not so sure that multiple subscriptions would aid all who want their name in the hat? anyhow past history now.

still don't see this as a wise way for the gov' to spend funds.

len

11. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Hey Gardenglen, good to see you put your hat into the ring anyway.. it might not be the best way for government to spend their money, but I can think of alot worse things they could spend it on.. the army / navy / airforce, money to coal electricity production.

I hope that we all
    1) get a system installed in this round, or else
    2) the government expands the idea, so everyone gets a chance

I agree with you that the price of solar systems probably hasn't come down partly because the suppliers are simply pocketing part or all of the rebate in profit.

But seriously, don't you think that is a truly inspired thing, for the QLD government to say, ok, lets turn this negative (keeping costs high through 8000 rebate) into a positive.. take the $8000 off a REASONABLE price and give it to the consumers for what can only be called affordable??

Off course in all of the above discussion, I am assuming the QLD government ends up doing what is says it will do.. I won't beleive it untill I see a system sitting on my roof.

12. gardenlen

yes ppp,

as there are no controls on the industry an the same with the tank/water pump industry with rebates came higher and higher prices, not so much with the rural makers but then they no longer needed to compete to sell tansk so they filled their coffers, heard a person who had pump fitted to tank, funnily enough the price of the pump exactly equal to the rebate offered $900 now all the pumps i buy are around the $600 or less mark and fitting is a breeze.

we would hope to get a leg in the door on renewables so we could add to it and head toward stand alone dual system, but whatever happens, happens hey? got people falt out living day to day and the gov' works on keeping bellies fat, and first home owners (a fair proportion of which ends up as mortgagee sales), and renewables rebates. no balance.

len

13. turkey

turkey Junior Member

Re: The QLD government offers solar systems for $1000 !!!

I dont trust them and never will. :twisted:
    There has to be a catch somewere.
    Must have something to hide that they dont want made public yet.
    I reckon it will have something to do with your water bill for sure. :ANAL:

14. gardenlen

yes turkey,

whenever one gets into bed with the gov' there is bound to be some catch, as many may find out when the system needs replacing at full cost you can't opt out, or if you go to sell it could impede the sale of the home, if the next person isn't interested in the system, anyhow hats in the ring is all at about this time.

len

15. Shirley

Shirley Junior Member

Was anybody lucky enough to get a system or hasn't the Government drawn the ballot yet?

16. gardenlen

no ballot yet or no results yet that i've heard of least wise.

len

17. ppp

ppp Junior Member

No word yet, to me.

18. Loris

Loris Junior Member

I finally got through within the day and a half that they were putting names on the list. I received some forms to fill in to be in the ballot. The forms were simple and just said that I owned the house, it was my residence and I had to put in a rates notice to show that.

I sent them off with the stated time (about 3 weeks). I think the cut off was April 11th from memory. Anyway, I have received no further communications. I am disappointed that they didn't let me know that they had received my forms and that I was in the ballot but I don't think anyone has been drawn out yet to my knowlege. They were sending me emails so I thought that I would certainly hear something one way or another. I guess its only been about four weeks.

Anyone know anymore?

19. ppp

ppp Junior Member

I'd be interested in people's comment on the article below.
    Basically, any household with an income over $100 000 is no longer eligible for the $8000 government rebate on solar panels.

For example, this means the $1500 deal promised by the Queensland Government will now cost those people $9500.

https://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/ ... d=smh:top5

20. Loris

Loris Junior Member

Yes, that is apparently the case and that might be the reason why the QLD ballot has not happened yet - the fed government has just closed that loophole in the most recent budget and limited it. So our ballot might get a move on now. The solar water heaters rebate has been closed at $100K income since forever so I expected it to go that way - its just that I couldn't get an answer out of the government re the capping of rebate. At least its clear now.