Fertigation

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by frosty, Mar 4, 2008.

1. frosty

frosty Junior Member

does anyone use this method to distribute compost teas and other fish/seaweed fertilizers through drippers and/or sprinklers ?

seems a good idea to us but we need to find a small unit to do it all I can find are big commercial units or units where you have to buy their non organic chemical type cncentrated fertiliser

thanks
    frosty

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Frosty,

I have done it with compost tea that I made in 2l batches. The vegie garden used 6 circular sprinklers on 19mm poly with 3' risers.

I used a bayonet clip to get the water from the main 50mm line. I would run the sprinklers for a few seconds and then lift the pipe so some drained. Pour the tea in and re-insert the bayonet in the main line.

This was only done in the evening and I left the sprinklers on after that. The area covered was about 9 x 8m. Sometimes I used 4l of tea.

A thread a few years ago determined for me that part of my process was to solarise the tea in the sun for a few days. I now know that this would have probably killed off the microflora that would have been so beneficial. We live and learn.

cheers..

3. ppp

ppp Junior Member

Just an idea:

mixing liquid fertilsers etc into a stream of water could be done using a "venturi". A venturi works through a flow of water actually "sucking" liquid out of hose put into the stream at an angle to the stream.

I have seen setups for mixing bentonite and drilling muds into a water stream, made of a small steel piece connected to hose at each end. The bentonite powder, was "sucked" into the stream, by putting the small tube coming off the metal piece into a container.

I googled this, but couldn't find any products on the market though :-(

Just a thought here, but I think I saw a product on Gardening Australia (by Jerry Coleby Williams) a little while back which allowed you to clip a liquid fertiliser bottle onto a hose, allowing it to be mixed into the stream. This would almost certainly work through this "verturi" effect. Perhaps you can look into one of those?

4. Duckpond

Duckpond Junior Member

there is an ofthe shelf unit sold through Total Eden that is built into your retic system. Its only about $200. It is sold alongside the root juice fertilizer, but any liquid will be ok as long as there is no particles.

5. frosty

frosty Junior Member

thanks for the replies everyone :D

we have been using a bottle on a hose ( old seasol bottle ) but for pasture it needs too long a hose :lol: :lol:

hubby knows about the venturi type system and thought of making one but then we thought it would be easier to buy one ! we will invetigate Totoal eden's when we go to Perth !
    regards
    frosty

6. ColinJEly

ColinJEly Junior Member

Fertigation

Hello Frosty
    When I worked for the Dept of Conservation, Forests & Lands here in Victoria we used to use these for injecting firefighting foam on our fire trucks;

"www.hortec.com.au"

Sorry too long ago, can't remember how much we paid.

Cheers

Col.

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I had a 1 by 1 metre cage which was set 2 feet off the ground with wheels on one end and handles on the other I would toss grass clippings, compost, sea weed etc in it (usually partially composted) and move it around the garden each day (during the rainy season).

When it finished leaching i would empty it, dig it under and refill and start again. It worked well.