trying to keep a very friendly home bred maran cockeral

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Clare, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Clare

Clare New Member

HELLO EVERYONE
    I'm new to this and found this permiculture site whilst browsing the web for tips on stopping a family of very hungry foxes that are currently camping out im my garden in Scotland from eating my gorgeous chooks ,they're not happy girls as firstly are having to stay in there pen, as theyre used to roaming the garden, any advice would be helpful.I would also be very grateful if anyone out there has any ideas what to do with a 16 week maran cockerel that is home bred very friendly, I know i must sound like a saddo but i really don't relish the thought of ringing his neck or re homing him as he part of family,but unfortunately i stay in a semi rural area and have neighbours, he hasn't started COCA DOODLE DOOING but i don't want to upset the neighbours.I realise there prob isn't an answer to my dilemma appart from winning the lottery and buying a farm of my dreams which is highly unlikely.any advice gratefully received

CLARE : :

2. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

Hi Clare,

there is an english product called electranet.

https://www.electranets.com/

I use one to keep my ducks safe during the day. We have foxes here and all my neighbours have lost poultry, but not me!

Your cockerel could be
    a. kept inside at night and let out in the morning
    b. kept in a straw bale chook house at night - it muffles the crows - it works, trust me.

Have a look at my chook house:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/boodicusdu ... 186714035/

If these don't work, or seem a bit mad, get in touch with you local animal shelter and ask them to put a call out for rooster rescuers. Some of them will even let you visit him, and you could even offer to pay for his food...

Since you live in a semi rural area, you might be able to negotiate with your neighbours about your rooster, you could offer free eggs, or vegies. Ask them, they might let you keep him.

Where are you in Scotland? My gran and mum are from Falkland. I was born in Australia, and I have visited scotland when I was 10. I "miss" Scotland, like its a home I once lived in.

good luck,
    Love,
    Tamara

3. Clare

Clare New Member

HI, Tamara,

Thanks so much for your help,regarding the electro fence will definately see into it,and am most impressed with your sound proof chook house,I don't stay far from Falkirk only about a 20 minute drive let me know if u ever in this neck of the woods cheers
    Clare

4. TT

TT Junior Member

Re: trying to keep a very friendly home bred maran cockeral

Tamara,

Why is your fence so high around the chook yard? It looks about 3m.

Paul.