stinkwort fungi

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Soleil.Lunar, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Soleil.Lunar

Soleil.Lunar Junior Member

We have just dug out a patch of stinkwort fungi that was encircling a small white currant plant.
    Is there any beneficial interaction between the stinkwort and the white currant? Or would the stinkwort have skilled the white currant plant?
    I understand the fungal role in the decomposition of the surrounding bark chips but in general, what are the benefits of fungi to plants?.
    Thanks

2. Soleil.Lunar

Soleil.Lunar Junior Member

3. namaiki

namaiki Guest

paul stamets has done lots of research on the symbiosis of plant and fungi .
    his book Mycellium Running goes into great detail , although i do not recall this combination you mention in your post .
    From what I had read , sounds like if the mushrooms are near or around the plant they are co-operating . if they are on or in the plant , they may be damaging it .
    Stamets increased yeilds of Corn and leafy greens 4 to 6 times with companion planting of garden giant mushrooms .
    google him for some really interesting talks online also .
    his site is https://www.fungi.com/

4. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

well for me anything that helps in the decomposition of organic matter then is helping to feed the soil which in turn feeds the plants, that is the basic cycle of nature.

i heve had those particular fungii and many others in my gardens, even now after near on 2 years they are starting to pop up in these new gardens and in the lawn for me that is a good sign. if you need to emove some fungii to plant in that exact spot then do so but other than that i'd leave well enough alone.

len

5. permup

permup Junior Member

Fungi

I certainly wouldn't have removed the fungi. Everything is there for a reason and unless the plant was showing signs of distress, I would have left nature to take its course.