Fish in my swimming pool

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by jeff, Dec 27, 2007.

1. jeff

jeff Junior Member

[img=https://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5358/ourpool340sq1.th.jpg]

[img=https://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6942/ourpool337db9.th.jpg]

Hello, I posted a while ago regarding building a chemical free swimming pool, well it works.
    The water is as clear as any swimming pool I've seen and there are fish everywhere!
    I now have to somehow remove 95% of the fish from the system as they have done thier job in feeding the biofilter.
    I do have a fish pond for them to go to.
    The water temp today is 26 celsius, beautiful and the kids love it. So does my wife.
    I have swum in mountain rivers most of my life and the pool water smells just the same.
    The family have been swimming in the pool for thge last 6 weeks, no one has fallen ill!
    I used a black liner to waterproof the pool, although it looks dark in the photo, the water is very clear.

2. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

congratulations Jeff It looks fantastic ,very inviting

3. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

It looks wonderful!

How did you do it?

Sue

4. jeff

jeff Junior Member

These pools are built similarly to a very efficient fish pond / mountain stream.

Here are some examples of European pools. This idea is very new in Australia.

The website below is not my website, Jeff

https://www.bionova.de

5. gbell

gbell Junior Member

I've always thought that might have something to do with the snakes. Any danger of a "natural" pool inviting too many venomous nasties?

6. jeff

jeff Junior Member

I should clarify "new in Australia."
    I know there are chemical free pools in existance in Australia.
    Ranging from a large garden fish pond to a copy of what is being done in Europe as in my case.
    Although fish can live in these natural swimming pools, as in mine,
    they are definately constructed as a swimming pool, not a fish pond.
    I am still trying to get the fish out of my pool system, they are hard to catch. This morning I will use a bait net to trawel them out. Hopefully.
    As far as snakes are concerned, I saw a 4 ft. brown snake near the pool yesterday(5 metres away)
    As you may see in the photo link at the top of this thread, I live in the country surrounded by bushland so seeing a snake is not unusual here, even before the pool was built.
    Snakes will be attracted to any swimming pool that is in an area that has snakes.
    I have encountered this quite a few times over the years working on conventional pools in the country.
    My pool supports many critters, birds, dragon flys, water beatles, fish etc.
    There are however no mosquito wrigglers at all. (fish)
    It is beautiful to watch swallows come in like water bomber aircraft and scoop up a drink.
    The nasties to be concerned about in any swimming pool are the ones you cannot see, as in harmful bacteria etc.
    All swimming pools, chemical and non chemical have the potential to harbour harmful bacteria. that is why preventative maintenance is necessary in all pools.
    Snakes are beautiful creatures, as are the rest of Australias animals, although spiders aren't at the top of my list.
    When you spend a lot of time as a kid studying every critter you come accross, you can't grow up being scared of any of them.
    You do however learn to respect them immensely.
    As for spiders, they also play a part in the natural pool. I have 8 outlets around the pool that drain water to the biofilter.
    I have seen a spider at each outlet, hanging on with its two back legs while it floats on its other legs waiting for a passing meal. They are helping with my filtration in thier own little way.... amazing

7. gbell

gbell Junior Member

What preventative maintenence do you do to your natural pool?

Um, OK. I didn't advocating killing them. Yes, yes, all of God's creatures are beautiful and wonderful. I was wondering if there were extra precautions one had to take to avoid death by snakebite, or if natural pools were even a good idea at all (say with reeds and other hiding places) because of an increased likelihood of snakebite over a conventional, icky chlorine pool.

8. jeff

jeff Junior Member

Preventative maintenance for a natural pool would be to ensure the fine filter is serviced regularly, that you don't allow your pool to become home to fifty ducks etc. that is about it.
    The other side of maintenance for a natural pool is to have good hygiene principles That is don't spit in a pool, don't swim if you have dihorrea,(no spell check here) don't urinate in a pool. Don't swim if you have open cuts.
    All of the above applies to a chemical pool also.
    Best way to avoid death by snake bite is don't get bitten!
    I think an indoor chlorinated pool may best suite you. LOL!

9. scottie

scottie Junior Member

Hi gbell,

Know what to do if someone is bitten by a snake.

If an adult victim stays calm, has their limb bandaged & doesn't move much (which prevents the poison from spreading throughout their body) you've got HOURS to get them to a hospital for an antidote.

Statistically, you are _extremely_ unlikely to die from a snakebite. It's much more rational to fear driving around in a car!

I'm not saying don't be careful ... just don't let those B-grade hollywood movies allow you to lose perspective.

10. jeff

jeff Junior Member

Well put, Scottie.

11. Permibeginner

Permibeginner Junior Member

snake concerns

if worried about snakes dont plant grassy plants close to the pool.

Make sure all pathways are wide and kept clear of tall plants close to the pool.

Perhaps offer the snakes a smaller water source in a hidden place e.g. place a water pond near the grass closest to the pool. Any self respecting snake would I think prefer to stay close to cover. The small water source would be a frog attractant and would cater to frog breeding.Pools full of fish will loose all tadpoles.

Wear hard shoes down to the pool and stamp your feet hard as you go down there to move any sankes away.

For first aide purposes keep a compression bandage close to the pool so you can wrap the bitten area if needed.

And do be aware that snakes are hard to spot. Grass longer then one inch high can easily hide a large snake.

12. jeff

jeff Junior Member

A snake in the country could be anywhere around the house, not just near the pool. One should be careful stepping out the back door.
    Care should be taken at night when outside, not to go blundering about in the dark.
    I have two large dams next to the swimming pool, usually full of water so I will have to accept the possibility of snakes being around.
    My kids are not afraid, my wife is not afraid and I am not afraid.
    We are careful.
    Last night all my family had the privelege of seeing many cicadas emerging from the ground at the base of a tree. As there were quite a few, we were able to see them in every stage of thier "coming out", so to speak.
    We were all fascinated.

13. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Well done Jeff I like it I like it alot...

Thanks for the further feedback to.

I been toying with the freshwater pool for a while as well tho not as serious as you been..

Tho i have got my aquaponics up an running these days..

As my only water comes from rain or TAP wateri have the problem of chlorine and a host of other nasty chemicals added to my water,wich have a habit of slowing or stopping my micro biolodigal prosesses from working at 100% it can seriously decrease my stock also. 8)

I would like to have a swim pool that is part of the Aquaponics system as in the pool becomes my water supply,it will be part of my system but without the added fish,yabbies,marron etc etc.

I prefere to swim naked and i dont appreciate yabbies pinching my scrotum :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Can the pool design handle the backyard pool as in the olde above ground type of pools...

The pics look wonderfall, but expensive looking to this Permie :lol:

Kep up the updates .Thanks for calling back to show us more

Tezza

14. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Looks fantastic Jeff - very inviting (particularly on a hot day in Qld like today).

Is the lower water body the biofilter?

15. jeff

jeff Junior Member

16. alt108

alt108 Guest

Course OR hands-on learning for building natural pool

congratulations jeff! looks awesome and a lot of work.

I wrote to u a while ago when I was constructing an "eco-resort" in India. I have just moved back to Sydney after completing it successfully, but it really missed a natural pool. I figured out the basics over the net but didnt have the guts to build one without knowing it in detail.

I was wondering how you learnt to make this pool? did u do a course? or any books? I would love to do a course or get some hands-on experience building a natural pool for my next project, whereever that may be!!
    Thx
    Manu

17. jeff

jeff Junior Member

How to build it

Hi Manu, Plenty of time on the internet.
    There are a couple of books that I found on the subject although they are not thorough.
    Basically, you need to find out how and why a fishpond works.
    These pools operate very simply. Understanding how to do that is the key.
    There are no hi tech gadgets needed.
    You need a basic understanding of hydraulics, plumbing and construction.
    today is Feb 15. The pool is still as clear as a bell, and smells fresh.
    I have added 3 x 1.5 kg Golden Perch to the pool and filter to help remove all the goldfish. ( I think they have all become good friends)
    In my opinion, my swimming pool is an absolute success. There are absolutely no chemicals and no one has shown any sign of illness.
    I don't understand why they are not everywhere.
    When I go to a pool shop to buy a fitting or something, I am amazed at what people buy to put in thier pool.
    The kind pool shop man says you need this, some of that, two bags of those, then put some of this then add that and see what you get!
    He also says "that will be a couple of hundred dollars, thanks"
    I have not added ONE anything to my pool water, except fish, and they are not necessary either.
    Although swimming up to a big fish is kinda cool!!
    Jeff

18. Permibeginner

I want a pool like that. :)

It seems to me that if you can clean black sewerage water to drinking quality by biological filters there is no reason you cant do the same for a swimming pool. I think in WA you would need to keep a close eye out for amaebic menengitis (Public swimming pools are checked twice a day) because the water temps get so high but it would be interesting to see how it goes.

PB

19. jeff

jeff Junior Member

Amoebic menegitis

Amoebic menengitis is a serious illness.
    It is a very rare illness.
    It can enter rhe brain via the nasal cavity if water is forced up the nose.
    Testing a public pool twice a day may help to ensure chlorine levels are adequate but will not show an amoeba.
    I have been concerned with this amoeba as it appears the only real danger in a natural swimming pool. (chemical free pool)
    This amoeba can be found in soil also. It is possible for the amoeba to be in any unsterilised body of water
    How many people swim in rivers, lakes, dams, thermal pools, in W.A.?
    How many people die from this disease every year?
    Any threat like this amoeba is to be taken seriously.
    It seems W.A. is the only Australian state to be issueing warnings. Why?
    Once again, how many people do we hear dying from this?
    Jeff.
    P.S. I don't think W.A. has significantly higher water temps than anywhere else in Aus for a given latitude.

20. Permibeginner

In WA a number of years ago a small number of people died of AM. It was then the latest media frenzy.

It thrives in stagnet water where hte temp is above a set temp

"You get this disease by the amoebae going in through the nose and getting into the brain and the spinal fluid,” said Dr. Madrigal. “The amoebae are everywhere, in all lake water that's over 80 degrees, particularly the stagnant water; however, for somebody to actually contract this disease is very, very, very rare.”

According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, there have only been 34 cases reported in Texas over the past 35 years. The most recent was in 2005. " https://www.kvue.com/news/local/stories/ ... 1a5fe.html

also
    https://www.armadale.wa.gov.au/_document ... 050111.pdf

You dont hear if it much now but there were big health scares around 15 years ago if I remember well.

Water in public pools were subjected to twice daily testing of chlorine levels and to random samples put under microscopes.

If your pool stays cool you are safe./If your pool gets warm keep you head above water.

But I wonder if it can be present in water that is flowing and clean. dont know

PB