I got to meet up with another member today.

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Neisha, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Neisha

Neisha Junior Member

Well I got to meet Jacki T today, thanks Jacki for all the info and sorry I got so excited with your knowledge and showing you around our place, that I forgot to offer you that cup of tea. I will make up for it next time. The typical mid west WA weather was in fine form with the south easterly blowing my hat off every 5 mins and the temps quite high. Its great to be able to learn from an experienced permie person (as Im a big learner), and especially from someone who is experiencing the same weather and drought conditions. THANKS Jacki. I cant wait to have stuff to share back with you. Neisha (Marlo). :D :D

2. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

I enjoyed my visit just as much and I think any cuppa would have gone cold, so much to see and talk about. Good to meet a pleasant and enthusiastic fellow permie. In spite of the harsh water restrictions and ferocious winds, it was good to see the care and thought put into setting up garden beds. Amazing the neat infrastructure all built with recycled materials. I'm looking forward to more exchanges. Gave me a renewed enthusiasm. An electrical storm descended later in the evening and set the neighbors paddock alight, then the wind dropped for the first time in 5 days, so I stayed up all night in the garden working on projects. Lo and behold, today it has RAINED< first we've seen for 6 weeks, and not just a sprinkle, but 9mm in half an hour :lol: :lol: :lol: Just the time to be out in it. And it is still raining. and an excited phone call from Neisha to check if we were getting rain too. So we did cartwheels together over the phone while Neishas young son played in the mud. How long it has been since we've seen puddles. Good on you Neisha. I'll catch up with you again very soon. Already we are planning a day trip to meet Frosty and her husband. So Frosty you are on notice. Of course I will ring beforehand to make a convenient time
    Cheers All
    A very wet through Jackie K

3. PDB

PDB Junior Member

I think thats arealy good idea. Permies getting together and sharing ideas. I'm only starting out in this new way of thinking about gardening and like the thorght of people young and old shering knowledge, seeds, cuttings, labor. All helping each other over a cup of tea. Good on you guys :D
    Paul

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

its an old fashioned concept - talking to your neighbours (even if their hundreds of kms away) LOL

when I first moved here the neighbours were an excellent source of wisdom for growing in what to me was an alien environment.

5. juhill

juhill Junior Member

We don't talk to our neighbours, all they want to do is get rid of all the trees and run cattle, goats and horses, they don't grow anything.
    I wish I'd had someone to tell me what will grow here when we first got here would have saved a lot of heartache not to mention $'s.

6. arawajo

arawajo Junior Member

juhill I'm having trouble finding out what will grow here too - but my neighbours seem to be able to grow anything on their place :evil:

If they advised me what to grow I know it wouldn't grow here - I just don't know why?

I have neighbours both sides who can grow stuff better than me and we are only on 20 acre blocks.

So don't think having friendly neighbours helps as far as that goes. We have to just keep trying and one day we will grow what we want, meanwhile your triffid shallots and my rampant warrigal greens will be proof that we can grow something!

7. juhill

juhill Junior Member

I wish they wouldn't spray the trees to get rid of them as a few weeks ago I was out in the garden when I could smell something not real sure what it was but I got dizzy and a shocking headache, this week there are lots of dead trees so I now have a confirmed answer to why I felt sick.