WANTED Ice-cream bean

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by elliceh, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Suzie

Suzie Junior Member

Re: WANTED Ice-cream bean

Apparently goats love ice-cream bean trees, a goat would probably solve the seedlings under the tree issue (if you are into goats). As it is a beautiful tree, good windbreak and attracts loads of beautiful birds.

2. rainirisice

rainirisice New Member

Yeah maybe everyone would wanted to have the Ice Cream Bean seed... And I'd like to get some of those Ice Cream Bean seeds too...

3. Rubenisimo

Rubenisimo Junior Member

you need to be careful with the icecream bean. they are a declared weed in the Northern Rivers, though im not sure in qld. Our place was covered in them and once planted, they are impossible to kill without herbicides. Mostly, birds love their seed which remain viable for quite some time. The plants pop up in all sorts of places where the birds leave them behind in their travels. We get small plants popping out from seed thats in one year old mulch.
    Weediness aside, their fruit is highly overrated. the seed is not edible but the white flesh thats about 2mm thick surrounding the seed is. It doesnt taste at all like ice cream but is not unpleasant. Its more the amount of energy you exert to get a tiny bit of flesh...
    Huge positive is their insatiable growth habit which provides high nitrogen mulch all year round. We lopped ours to teh ground and repick the new growth as mulch. it works brilliantly. particularly for poor soils.
    Sorry to be a gas bag...

4. recher

recher Junior Member

Tis I who am responsible for the common icecream bean on the north coast

this inga species was introduced by ???? (damn synapse lapse) at el arish but not david chandlee from a central american highland market. We traded plants. This species fares poorly in tropics. All the ice cream beans of this species at least on north coast can be traced back to the mother tree here.

this inga (I. mortoniana?) outperforms all other species on north coast. Inga feuille the only other highland species I've grown fruits well but even tho this is one of the most popular in the andes here quality is impacted by ???? that leaves aril dryish and yukky and not at all like fairy floss (wet cotton wool if you don't like the fruit)

the nodulation is by far the most prolific of any legume ever eyeballed.

tho they will grow into a big tree they coppice fantastically and the wood is excellent for burning at a young age.

hardy to circa minus 3

i planted out hundreds as the chosen cover crop to rejuvenate 3.5 ha of hillside. I interplanted with permanent species. It worked.

They die if cut at ground level and then pure glyphosated around cambium.

5. bernado soares

bernado soares Junior Member

Northey Street City farm has multipul trees,they are in season now but be quick.It would help to get pods of two different trees to help with pollination.
    Best wishes Bernado.