bit of recycling and bit of seedling

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by paradisi, Aug 30, 2007.

1. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

a couple of weeks ago I saw a few louvre doors being thrown out in a builders skip - so I snavvled the louvres because I was pretty sure they'd come in handy.

I've started putting them along the fence - - we've got two fences on one side - the original chain mesh fence which is very common on the sunshine coast and the neighbours on that side being brisbanite blow ins decided they needed privacy - so they put up a six foor paling fence. Works wonders for raising seedlings - somewhere where I don't have to bend too much (stuffed back) and somewhere to sit the boxes with the seedlings in - they also only get the morning sun so they don't over heat or get burned.

[​IMG]

2. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

Its amazing isn't it, once you get into the right frame of mind nearly all the 'rubbish' becomes useful. 8)

3. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

I know. I'm a shameless scavenger. My chook run is entirely found and recycled stuff, including an old iron frame found under my son's house, and an old gate. Then I found the frame of an old three section screen: it's now a bean tripod, and some metal things that looked like little ladders - possibly once had shelves on - now up against a wooden fence for more beans to climb on.

4. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

OOO i love this kind of thing :D

I am 22 so i get some really weird looks from my friends when they see what i use in the garden... most of them don't even have a house or garden!!

I have a smallish chook house that i "bought" from the dump shop for $10 - it was an old timber dog kennel - this is where they sleep, its perfect - has some aeration between the palings but definitely closed in enough to keep warm. The run was made from some other old timber we picked up from the dump - thrown in with the kennel.

The chooks "patio" or the covered part of their run was from some nice colorbond, i think that was about $2 a sheet from the dump - obviously offcuts or wrong size as it is in new condition. The only thing we bought was the chicken wire!

I'm currently scabbing around looking for something suitable to make a long trough style herb garden along the side of the house!

5. Tas'

Tas' Junior Member

How about a recycled bath-tub? Or is that bigger than you had in mind?

6. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

Yeah probably too wide - the length would be good but down the side of our house is only a narrow space between the house and the fence. It gets plenty of sun, just very narrow.

7. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

the old double concrete laundry tubs would probably fit - anyone wrecking or renovating near you?

8. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

yeah thats the sort of thing im looking for, but no such luck around here - its all developed and moving something that heavy would be a bit much for our clubsport lol :lol:

I think i'll keep an eye out for some old timber planks or something and make it out of those.

9. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Be careful of having damp timber butting onto your house - it could encourage termites. (I found this out the hard way!!!)

10. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

An old stock watering trough might be the go if you can get your hands on one.

11. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

thats what i would love to get, i think they look lovely and rustic, however all the farmland around here was for market gardening, not livestock. and transporting it ourselves isn't really an option.

12. turkey

turkey Junior Member

Like the saying goes one mans trash is anothers treasure.
    That is quiet true in this case and I am very guilty of it myself.
    I am a self confessed bower bird of long standing and proud of it. 8) 8) 8)

13. PDB

PDB Junior Member

How about a drum cut down the length put the two end to end?

14. elliceh

elliceh Junior Member

yeah that could be the way to go, i'm sure the dump shop has some old ones lying around....

15. rhancock

rhancock Junior Member

There was concrete washtub on Freecycle not too long ago: https://www.freecycle.org There are 2 brisbane groups, and there is often very useful stuff. I've had chook wire, timber, furniture, toys, etc. And its also a great way to find a good home for all that stuff you don't have a use for (yet!) I've given away windows, beds, cassettes, etc etc.

16. PDB

PDB Junior Member

how good

wow this site gets better and better! that freecycle looks so good I hate to throw anything out! If I can give it to some one who needs it thats great. thanks
    Paul

17. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

freecycle is excellent pdb - highly recommend it to anyone. In Oz or overseas.

https://www.freecycle.org/ is the link for everyone to start looking for their closest freecycle group