Itchy Hairy Worms... Help!

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by beatbeat, Aug 9, 2007.

1. beatbeat

beatbeat Junior Member

We have huge furry worms all over our garden. Under normal circumstances, I'd let them be until they becomes moths/butterflies, as they poop some nice pellets onto my plants, but our neighbors have been complaining about them getting on their clotheslines, and I understand their rage!

Now, I don't really want to do anything chemical. I wouldn't even want to kill the things... but I need to know how to manage them! I was thinking of making a small screened box and put plants in and just transfer them all there... then harvest the poop and let them out when they resurface as winged creatures.

They're eating our comfrey, ylang ylang, and mucuna puriens.

Any ideas? Explanations? Etc.

2. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

Can you post a pic?

Do you have chickens?

3. beatbeat

beatbeat Junior Member

[​IMG]

Here is one eating the ylang-ylang leaves.

I don't have chickens :p

4. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

They look like sawfly larvae to me or something similar.

5. TropicalRose

TropicalRose Junior Member

According to Judy McMaugh's book 'typical sawfly larvae are bulging behind the head and tapering towards the end of the body'. With any luck they'll pupate and be gone soon. Maybe you could try companion planting with marigolds or garlic next time. Cheers

6. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

It looks like one of the Tiger Moth caterpillars. One variety is actually called "Woolly Bear Caterpillars". I think they do mostly aesthetic damage, rather than serious.

They are an interesting, non-stinging, non-lethal part of nature. Tell your neighbors that they apparently don't have enough problems in their lives if all they can worry about is fuzzy caterpillars.

Sue

7. beatbeat

beatbeat Junior Member

Unfortunately, it's not without itch! Haha... it may look like a non-stinging one from yours, but trust me, it always gets on my dad while he's gardening, and he gets welts all over. I've had experiences with it too! It's uber itchy.