lantana regrowth competition

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by beeso, Aug 2, 2007.

1. beeso

beeso Junior Member

i have an offer in on 10 acres of steep land covered in lantana. I am going to mulch the tops finely and paint the stumps but am after some suggestions for what to plant into the mulch to a) crowd out the regrowth and b) be useful for when i plant the orchard or be useful for chook feed :)

2. Worms

Worms New Member

definitely acacia's of some sort....endemic to your area...my ducks love kangaroo apple fruit too, which is a local native and fast growing.

3. beeso

beeso Junior Member

sorry should have said property is between beenleigh and tambourine in se qld

4. bushy

bushy Junior Member

This is probably not the answer if you are going to grow an orchard there but the native raspberries out compete lantana and are recomended as a control by landcare, it enjoys the same conditions as lantana. Depending on how steep or accessable the block is, I would plant the orchard trees and mow inbetween, with a little hand weeding around the trunks the lantana would soon disappear

5. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Beeso - have you considerred an orchard cover crop mix.

6. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

have you thought of an orchard as mentioned before - but protected by reenforced steel mesh and then run a herd of goats through the place?? The goats will eat down lantana, but your size block may need an aweful lot of goats

7. teela

teela Junior Member

I wouldn't say that paradisi, 10 acres of land, I'd start with 10 goats, but it depends on how fast beeso wants it cleared. Sheep are also as good as goats, I like sheep better than goats because all the goats I've had have been escape artists. What about cows? You could run an eletric fence around 5 acres at a time and toss in a few cows.

Good luck with it Beeso.

Chow
    Teela