Hello from a teacher in country WA...newbie here!

Discussion in 'General chat' started by sallyjane, Jul 23, 2007.

1. sallyjane

sallyjane New Member

Hi there everyone...I have just been given a Year 10 Science class to teach. I am eager to teach them about permculture, but am wondering if anyone has any ideas as I am not really a Science teacher. Will of course look into what p/c is and the prinicples, however I am not an expert, only an enthusiast...any suggestions would be welcomed wholeheartedly...Thanks!Contact me on [email protected] if you wish... :oops: :D

2. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Hi Sallyjane and welcome. You don't say where you are in WA, but I'm sure for such a good cause there will be plenty of help offered. If you let people know where you are there could be someone close by that you can visit to get a better picture of what Permaculture is all about. Good books to read on the subject have been listed previously. All the best.
    Jackie K

3. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Welcome sallyjane.

Doing a Permaculture Design Certificate course is the best way to get a good grounding in what Permaculture is all about. It doesn't make you an 'expert', but it's a good start to build from and to ensure you're teaching from a solid knowledge base.

Best of luck with your class.

4. Darcel

Darcel Junior Member

Hello Jackie K

I was farming with my husband in Ogilvie just 25kms north of you.

I'm really looking forward to embracing the concepts of permaculture to improve the soils on our new "piece of dirt".
    The soil here is nowhere as good as that on the farm & will require considerable effort.
    Any advice would be greatly accepted. Thanks & good luck to all.

5. Darcel

Darcel Junior Member

Dear Sallyjane,
    oops ! sorry I neglected to say hello to you in previous post.
    Take care

6. disorderly

disorderly Junior Member

Hi sallyanne,

I am just a new member here but I come from a family of farmers on one side and teachers on the other and while I do admire your ideals of teaching your new charges some permaculture ideals I fear with little background in the subject or a curriculum to work from you may well be wasting not only their time but also that of your own.
    Perhaps before you decide to teach others it may be wise to undertake several courses in the subject yourself as well as the years of practical experience that myself and others take before we feel qualified to offer advise to others in this particular discipline.
    I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but any particular field of learning requires a certain amount of study and practical knowledge before you could even contemplate teaching others.
    Good luck in your permaculture lifestyle.

Scott

7. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Dear sallyjane :)

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

I begin this reply to you by writing how wonderful it is that you want to teach permaculture to a group of year-10s. I truly commend you for your desire to do this. However - and I'm loath to say this because I really do not want to dis-encourage you or anyone else from doing the same thing - I must implore you to complete a PDC (in the least) before you even attempt to start to teach permaculture.

You have indicated that you wish to teach permaculture in the setting of a science classroom. Once again I applaud your desire to do this. Permaculture is very much a science (the science of systems), but it is also much more than this. Permaculture is about planning, it's about design, it's art, it's culture - permaculture goes beyond the concept of sustainability - it has the ability to transcend many previously held notions!

I'm sure you are a very capable teacher (why else would you even be contemplating teaching permaculture), and as such I'm sure that you would be able to provide your students with a basic knowledge of the ethics and principles. But if you truly want to provide them with the best possible teacher/student encounter you could ever imagine; if you truly want to engage with them in something that may have the potential to alter their lives, your life, and the lives of many others, forever, then please complete a PDC prior to teaching.

This is not to say that the wonderful job you are already doing does not have the potential to alter lives, forever. But it does say that in order to teach one does need to have at least the qualification, if not the experience in order to make it all that much more worthwhile, for all concerned. Don't sell them or yourself short, you are all worthy of the real thing. Please complete a PDC.

When I completed my PDC there were two secondary-school teachers from Canberra undertaking the same course. They were there with the blessing of their school community. During our two weeks together I spent quite a bit of time with these two, and together our shared experiences reinforced my understanding that completing a PDC is a life-changing experience. I saw these people, other people, myself included make great personal change during these two weeks. I'm still aware of the changes that continue to happen in me as a result of undertaking a PDC. I still see change happening within the people I remain in contact with from that PDC.

In order to prepare yourself for the next step in your journey, please visit the following:

https://www.holmgren.com.au/

Here you will find Holmgren's (the co-founder of the permaculture concept) e-book Essence of Permaculture, free to download or read online. Please read it as it will give you a great introduction into permaculture. Read all of David's vast collection of writings on this page, if and when you feel you can find the time. But please consider undertaking a PDC before you try to teach it.

Maybe it is just not possible for you to undertake a PDC before you wish to bring the concept to your students? This I can understand. Maybe you can find an accredited permaculture teacher in WA that can do it for you?

If you think I sound very passionate about this, your right. I think if people come into permaculture by means other than a PDC and can receive something positive from the experience, well and good. But I also think that if you are planning to teach permaculture then why not give your students (and yourself) the best chance possible of a positive outcome for all concerned?

I now end this reply to you by writing thank you ever so much for your time, sallyjane. May you continue to undertake one of the most important jobs on this planet - bringing sound knowledge to the minds of our young people. Thank you ever so much for a job well done.

Kindly yours, Mark.

(I have CC'd this response to the email address given above)

8. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Hi Sallyjane....

Go for it I say! Would recommend you contact Eltham college as they have introcuced a permaculture course for their seniors. They will be able to help you with the necessary info you may need...

https://www.elthamcollege.vic.edu.au/start/def1.htm#

.....look in releasing your childs talents....yr 9 - community awareness in the bush.....fantastic!

Goodluck..

Kathleen

9. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hi Sally jane I live in the West Id love to be able to help the kids..

Where are you?

Tezza

10. sallyjane

sallyjane New Member

Hi!

We are at Moora.. feel free to email me on [email protected]
    THANKS HEAPS FOR THE OFFER!!!!
    Sal

11. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hi Sally Id love to help in some way..

Maybe I could supply somethings to your school/class.......

Things i could offer are

1. chooks any age
    2. Yabbies.
    3.Worms
    4.Hopefully Soon Silk worms.
    5.Worms.

Tezza

pm me with your poss needs