Who's coming to APC9? PERMIE CONVERGENCE DATES

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Fern O., Jul 22, 2007.

1. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

MINI PERMIE CONVERGENCE
    The end of October is shaping up to be a mini permie convergence!!!!

David Holmgren & Su Dennett are coming back from their overseas tour and running an Advanced Permaculture Design course in Apollo Bay from the 26th to the 28th of October. And there's a fantastic lot of permies already booked in to do this course. If you're interested in coming, make sure you book in as soon as possible, as there's limit to the numbers and it's filling up fast! Contact me if you're interested.
    Also Bill Mollison will be in Melbourne for the October 31st PPP meeting that Tamara is organising. Contact Tamara for more info.

***Permies converge!!!******Permies converge!!!*******Permies converge!!!***

BIG PERMIE CONVERGENCE - APC9

Then in March 2008 over the easter period from March 20th to 24th in Sydney there's the 9th Australasian Permaculture Convergence.

This is going to be really, really big! It's the 30th year celebration since the publication of "Permaculture One" by David & Bill.
    Anyone who's been to a previous permie convergence knows how fantastic they are!!! This one's set to be really, really fantastic!!!
    Permaculture North Inc. is organising this mammoth event.
    They're setting up a website and registration forms will be available from October (so get them at the mini convergence! :D )

To help Permaculture North start to get an idea of the numbers attending this convergence, please post here to say if you'll be coming along.
    Also, ask all permies you know, to see if they'll be coming, and post their names here to, if they're thinking of coming.

Cheers!
    Fern

2. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

I'm going to ask everyone that comes to our next Otways & Coast permaculture group (OCPG) meeting on the 29th of July, and then I'll post (with their permission, their names here). I'll see if Vanessa (OCPG's secretary) can put it in the mail out to all members of our bioregional permie group too.
    I'll also ask the participants of the upcoming Otways PDC and other course that I'm organising if they're interested in coming along.

Please say if you'll be coming along to APC9... but remember, in order to come to a convergence you must have done a PDC.

3. Nick Ritar

Nick Ritar Junior Member

I'll be there with bells on.

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Funny Aint, it I allways thought this was the HUB of "Permaculture" in the World..

Heres a big(supposed tobe) Convergance and we dont know bugger all about it.

Who ever liases with each other isnt doing their jobs....

NO wonder Permacultures gone no where much in 10yrs.

Half the Permies charge like a wounded organic bull and the other half of "US" give away our secrets for nothing,not even thanks in most cases...

Now some want to go in cahoots with the Capitalists and their capitalist
    LAWNS..
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I cant wait to hear more about the long awaited PPP party..

Tezza

5. gbell

gbell Junior Member

APC9 website

Hi Everyone,

The APC9 website is up: https://apc9.org.au

Note the speakers!

• Bill Mollison
      David Holmgren
      Geoff Lawton
      Max Lindegger
      Robyn Francis
      Terry White
      Darren Doherty
      Rosemary Morrow
      and more!

Those are just the main speakers - there are breakout sessions with lots of other famous PC people. Its going to be huge!

6. Sonya

Sonya Junior Member

I know of a couple of us from the Sunshine Coast heading down.

Cheers,
    Sonya

7. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    APC9 and costs of Professional Permaculture

G'day,

First up the APC9 weblink doesn't appear to be working - nor with the addition of the 'www.' . Secondly I reckon Tezza you are barking up the wrong tree there a bit - the APC is was announced a few months ago on the Permaculture International Limited site and thru the newsgroup it administers 'Permaculture Oceania' which has been the 'hub' of Permaculture news for many years now - it has been going since the late 1990's - you can subscribe to this through the PIL website. On the other stuff well I am very much a guilty one charging like a wounded bull whenever and wherever I can....and not whenever and whenever I can - its called the 3rd ethic of Permaculture - return of surplus....You can check out my web page photolog (https://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz) for all of my course materials for nothing or you can pay $900-$1600 for a PDC and get to listen to me explain the photos, or you can have me for $60/hour come out and suggest to you how to design your place. Funny thing is I have never charged more than about $3000 for a full blown design on a large property - most of my jobs are less than $1000-1500 for a full digital design and fully costed bill of quantities. My engineer is charging me $1500 just to do some computations - not exactly integrated design and something I am more than capable of doing myself however am legally unable to!

8. gbell

gbell Junior Member

First, thanks Darren for pointing out the site problem. I'm the webmaster and fixed it tonight. Oops!

Second, PLEASE, everyone, lets not let this thread be hijacked by Yet Another Internet Argument (tm). The thread's about APC9, the 9th Permaculture Convergence. Its also the 30th anniversary of the publication of Bill's Designer's Manual. It'll be a great way to network with fellow perma-nuts and learn heaps.

Sorry for the broken site. Details are still light, but see what's there so far:

https://apc9.org.au/

9. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

Thanks for the note and the sentiments - I appreciate the note to not start another argument - though I must defend the industry that I am a proud member of - sure there will be shonks out there there are in every field of endeavour.

People need to be responsible for what they say in a public forum, especially one like this that is perhaps the most accessed and active vehicle for promoting Permaculture that there is - that it even exists is a clear and valid expression of the need to make a few dollars and then share the surplus - no one does this more than Geoff and Nadia.

On that basis and where I see a need I will continue to sit on my high horse and accordingly make comments to defend and criticise this movement and its industry.

I'll now have a look at the APC9 site. We are very much looking forward to getting there - though we are still enjoying this tour - we have just road tripped across the US to California along the old Route 66 - viewing the myriad of landscapes and potential only validates my lifelong quest for Permaculture to become the new agriculture......

Thanks,

10. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Visit the APC9 website to get a preregistration form and help Permaculture North get an idea of the numbers.

Hey, it would be good if you could register your interest and fill out the form (and pay) on the website though...

PS. The Advanced Permaculture Principles workshop with David Holmgren and Su Dennett was great! So lovely to have a whole heap of permies come down here. :D

11. gbell

gbell Junior Member

you're right. i've been looking into how to do it. if anyone out there wants to offer their expertise...

12. bazman

bazman Junior Member

I wouldn't mind going to APC9, any idea on what sort of costs would be involved? Anyone have ideas on how many people would be going? how many have gone to past years APC's?

13. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Nick Ritar or his partner Kirsty from Milkwood permaculture in Mudgee (see above) have the CSS (?) skills/ being able to register and pay online (as they have it on their website.
    Also Murray (site admin for this site PRI) should know too.
    Both are in NSW too.

I should remember how many went to APC8... but stats sometimes disappear from my head. I've got it in the PcM records somewhere... but Virginia Solomon (or Graeme George) might remember. I think that there was about 200 at the convergence, and more at the conference.

cheers!
    Fern

14. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

Who's into travelling communally to APC9?
    Some of us Victorian permies are into booking a whole train carriage to journey from Melbourne to Sydney... and it's a bit simpler, easier to arrange and more efficient than my previous idea of bus pooling. 8)
    cheers!
    Fern

PS. We still need to convince Terry White to make the journey instead of being by satellite link from Maryborough!?!.

15. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Have you considered posting links to a few of the transcripts from past APC/IPC events Fern?

I don't know if there is any others available, but Rosneath have a good bunch of transcripts from the proceedings at IPC6:

IPC VI Table Of Contents (Click to view)

Seems to me that if there are any others like these out there they would be good in helping to promote the upcoming event and also give people a better idea of what to expect.

16. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

well there's https://www.ipcon.org
    for the last international convergence and the next one (IPC9) in Africa

and https://www.permaculturemelbourne.org.au/apc8/index.html
    for the last Australian Permaculture Convergence in 2005

none of the other Australian Permaculture Convergences were put on the internet before then, to my knowledge. There was a long gap between APC7 and APC8. I didn't go to APC7, but I'm pretty sure it was at Djanbung Gardens and hosted by Robyn Francis... so best to ask Robyn about that one.

cheers
    Fern

17. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Hi Friends,

Full details are now available on the website, including the registration form and schedule!

https://apc9.org.au/

18. Nathan Edwards

Nathan Edwards Junior Member

Can't read font

Hey I'm interested in going but the registratin from downloads as unreadable text on my mac. Any other way to view the info?

19. gbell

gbell Junior Member

The rego form is a PDF. There's a link at the bottom of the home page that explains about the PDF reader and says "download it for free". Click on that link and you can install the reader.

Its a pretty common format, so its probably a good thing to have installed anyway.

20. Nathan Edwards

Nathan Edwards Junior Member

Yeah I could download the pdf and I have acrobat reader which works fine but the font on the document is illegible??
    Confused