Mung Beans and Cycad seeds

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by sharyn jan, Jul 7, 2007.

1. sharyn jan

sharyn jan New Member

:D
    Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and would appreciate any help you may be able to offer.
    I would love to be able to purchase mung beans I have searched on line and cannot seem to find out where to get them. I there another name for these beans. I believe when they grow they end up a few inches long. I see them in the supermarket all the time so they cannot be that hard to get.
    I have relocated from Hervey Bay in Qld to Bermagui on the far south coast of N.S.W. I brought with me some cycad seeds. What would be the best time to put them in pots to see if they will shoot. The seeds are about three years old but have been kept dry in a container.
    Many thanks for reading me topic.
    Cheers
    Sharyn

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Hi Sharyn,

Welcome to the forum.

Mung beans should be easy to source from health food or asian food stores. They look like light green shotgun pellets being quite round. They may be advertised as 'sprouting beans'. You can grow them year round north of brisbane and they are a happy little ground cover or green mulch that you can dig in.

Indonesians use them as a basis for a favourite desert with crushed ice called Es Kacang Ijo. Es is Ice, Kacang is the generic name for any type of pea or bean seed and Ijo is the Javanese word for green.

What sort of cycad seeds are they? Cycads are such a diverse group of plants with differing requirements. I have grown cycads from seed and they can take up to a year to germinate.

floot

3. Ryan

Ryan Junior Member

Floot is right, mung beans are usually found in health food stores in the bulk food bins. They are small, round, green seeds.

4. Ryan

Ryan Junior Member

The most common cycad I know of is the "sago palm" which is not really a palm. I have planted them in spring in flats and they germinated by early summer.