this site is booming!

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by murray, May 16, 2005.

1. murray

murray Junior Member

hey!

just thought i'd share this with you guys. over the past 3 months, participation in this forum has doubled in size, and then doubled again, and THEN DOUBLED AGAIN.

[​IMG]

as you can see by these site stats, (in the yellow bit), in February, we had on average, 29 visits a day, in March, 71 visits a day, in April 311, and so far this month, there are an average of 494 visits each day.

this is almost unbelievable and it's all thanks to you guys and the wonderful discussions you're having which permeating the search engines and drawing new people here.

hundreds and hundreds, daily.

one thing though - as i'm looking through the site logs, I can't believe that so many people are still using Microsoft's Internet Explorer!! if you value your security and safety online, i make a very strong recommendation to you -- GET FIREFOX NOW!!

here's the download site: https://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

it's free, it's so much safer than IE, it has tabbed browsing, it's a wonderful internet experience. since i installed this, i have not used IE in 12 months! please, go and take a look at Firefox now! you'll thank me for it. :D :D :D

ok - enough of this silliness... see you all later!

murray
    site admin

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I guess you're just going to have to learn to deal with success, Murray!

BTW, I see there's a SE USA room, which I tend to skip. Any chance of just a plain USA room? I was wondering if the SE only is sort of off-putting to US visitors to the site.

Sue

3. murray

murray Junior Member

hey sue

i had toyed with removing the 'South East' and making it plain ole USA, but my concern was that i would split the conversation between two forums - the main one and the USA one. i can't see any sense splitting the conversation if the topic is the same.

the best bet may even be to merge them and make a single "supertopic" - all things permaculture... (also, and just between you and me, i think marking anything to do with the USA as "regional" is confusing the hell out of some americans :) )

what do you think? does anyone have any better ideas for how to organize the topics in this forum?

m.

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

If you're going to do any part of the US, I would do the WHOLE US, not just parts.

BUT you can lose a lot splitting it. Most of the "action" seems to be here, so this is where I spend most of my time at this site, even if I have to keep running back to my "convert anything to anything else" site!

My personal choice would be one main forum for permaculture here, period. I never go to the Middle East forum, and I could be missing something that I really need to know!

Sue

5. murray

murray Junior Member

hey sue,

maybe it would be a better plan to have all permaculture chat in a single forum, and split off regional forums for people who'd like to organize permaculture projects and training in various parts of the world.

thoughts?

m.

6. murray

murray Junior Member

well -

i've made some changes .... hopefully they're more good than bad.

:cyclops:

m.

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I like it!

Sue

8. funkyfungus

funkyfungus Junior Member

Re: this site is booming!

that be the truth

FF is certainly better than IE
    ive had far fewer problems and the iopen in new tab function is great

9. lillypilly

lillypilly Junior Member

wonderful to find a site about natural gardering that talk about W. A. keep up the good work and happy gardening and EATTING to all............. :D

10. murray

murray Junior Member

hey FF,

>open in new tab function is great

if you have a midlde mouse button click that on any link to open in a new tab. saves a 2 step process! (if you have a wheel mouse, clicking with the wheel should do the same thing!)

i lurve my FF.

m.

11. Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Junior Member

If you truly value those things use GNU/Linux can't believe so many people still use MS products :lol: not much in the way of trojans/virii written for it for the script kiddies to use...It's easy to use these days too. And fits within "permaculture" it isn't a monoculturistic monopoly like that other operating system I'll even post out some cd's if anyone is intrested...You don't even have to install to harddrive to have a look at it as it will run of the cd (albeit a lot slower) so you can dip your toe in first

12. miss.vitalis

miss.vitalis Junior Member

I'm glad that this site is working. maybe because it's spring (almost summer) and all of us are getting out, the birds are singing, nature is blossoming... :D
    I was wondering - how come this forum doesn't have any sub-forums? it would be easier to find out the things you are interrested in?

13. Peter Warne

Peter Warne Junior Member

Yes Miss.vitalis, I'd like to see a sub-forum on rainforest regeneration. Most of the permaculture people in this region (North-eastern New South Wales) are also involved in rainforest regeneration to some extent. Permaculture Education, also known as Djanbung Gardens, in Nimbin, is giving an excellent short course on Regeneration, Bush Foods and Permaculture, which proposes a comined approach.

In any case, this forum is doing a great service and I have got heaps of useful responses to real questions as I think many others have too.

Keep it going,
    Peter Warne

14. murray

murray Junior Member

hi guys

there are no subforums because up until last month we didn't have enough traffic to keep more than ONE forum happening.

but we're getting 505 unique visits a day now and on average 5-10 topic updates a day, so maybe the time's right to expand a bit nore into "sub" topics..

i'm open to all kinds of suggestions on what forums would be welcome, so let's have 'em...

thoughts, ideas, whatever.

m.
    ps: i think the jobs, gigs & projects forum i spun off a month ago is going to work very well.

15. miss.vitalis

miss.vitalis Junior Member

hi murray and peter.
    well, the forum will be much more organized with sub-forums.
    since I'm totaly new here, maybe others would have better sugestions. from my point of view, I have to tell you that I'm from Croatia, where there are no books on permaculture - only three books are translated on croatian. so, one sub-forum could be about useful books.
    then, on the internet, this is the only forum I have found (searching in my language and in english). maybe you could have a sub-forum for international members?

16. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I'm not trying to be arbitrary here, but it seems that subtopics by THEME would be more useful than by LOCATIONS. Basic design methods would be useful in most places, with just tweaking by location and climate.

Some possible subtopics:

Waste Manangement (Composting toilets, greywater, etc)
    Water (rainwater catchment, bores, wells, ponds)
    Design (actual ideas for design of anything that might be useful)
    Making money off your land
    Homes (strawbale, cob, slipform, orientation, etc)

Sue

17. murray

murray Junior Member

hey guys

do you really think there's enough traffic here to cope with splitting the main message forum up into 4 or 5 sub topics as in sue's suggestion above?

the last thing we need is for subforums to die from lack of interest. but anyway - these seem to be a good selection to me:

- Land design
    - Water design
    - Waste design
    - Home design

are they the four biggies? i'll take any further suggestions on what might be good.

m.

18. nobis77

nobis77 Junior Member

Looks good to me Murray, although a place for crop design (livestock,cereal,vegetable,forestry,etc) would be good as well.

19. murray

murray Junior Member

hey

would that not be land design?

m.

20. nobis77

nobis77 Junior Member

It could be, but it wasn't obvious to me. When I saw land design I thought of siting of various features (home, pond/waterways, garden, pasture etc) placement respective to one another and earth moving for water catchment. But I'm still new to P'C' and what all the terms and categories that are familar to you old hands.