PDC courses at The Channon - how are they?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by davenz, Jul 3, 2007.

1. davenz

davenz Junior Member

I'm having trouble getting responses out of the PRI people regarding courses at The Channon. Basics on logistics, like accommodation. It's starting to get me worried. If I can't get a response to basic inquiries then I'm concerned that the whole operation is not run very well. I.e. the feedback I've seen on the Northey Street City Farm wasn't so good. I'm wondering if the whole 'birds of a feather' thing applies and most of these courses are disorganized.

I'd expect for $1500:
    - prompt response to inquiries
    - structured and clear daily curriculum, with course materials provided
    - course instructors keen to maximize your learning and answer all questions

I'm expecting to come and learn hardcore in a strong learning environment. I'm really keen to learn this stuff and I hope it will be life-changing. I know this is a negative start to my posts but first impressions apply here. Please enlighten me!

2. richard in manoa

richard in manoa Junior Member

Geoff's probably trying to dig a swale through a minefield in some basketcase of a developing country just at the moment.
    I cannot vouch for the PRI's current level of organisational finesse, but if Geoff is your instructor you'll get your money's worth. I would be patient and keep in mind that part of the reason that Geoff is such good value is that he keeps pretty busy!

3. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

scoob
    what email are you using to contact Geoff? 'cos the [email protected] is defunct... although their admin should attend to you.

Geoff is currently running a PDC at PRI, I think it started on the first of July and goes to the 14th (or something like that), then he's running a practical certificate course after that at PRI for two weeks.

If geoff or his course is chokkas, then you can always enrol in the PDC that I'm running in August (11th to 24th) down here in the Otways (Victoria). Although, it's filling up too.

Cheers!
    Fern Rainbow
    Sustainable Culture Network
    [email protected]

4. davenz

davenz Junior Member

I've been emailing info@ and education@ and also one individual I got hold of. Sent a followup email today after a week. If there's not much response I'll have to cancel and go somewhere else I think.

5. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

Hey Scoob,
    Hang in there mate.
    Geoff was my teacher with Bill Mollison in Melb a few years back.
    I lust after the chance to do a PDC with him at The Channon.

I can absolutely understand your frustration at not getting a response, but if you do take our advice and stick with it and do the course with Geoff you will absolutely understand why he has not responded.

Hang in there - take the chance to do the course with him and it will be life-changing or at least life-affirming.
    You will learn HEAPS, think HEAPS and have a whole new perspective on life the universe and everything.

what else do you need to know???? some of us here might be able to help wiith the info you are seeking.

(PS myself, I wouldnt be so quick to defend Northey Street, they do have a bad rep)

6. davenz

davenz Junior Member

Thanks, I'll guess I'll hang in there, there's still some weeks to go. Although I am traveling a lot between now and then which is why I need to organize early.

Questions I have:
    - If I'm not camping what are the contact details for the B&B nearby?
    - Does the PRI supply any camping equipment or will I have to rent my own?
    - Who will be the instructors for the September courses?
    - Is the course well-structured?
    - What are the course materials like?

7. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Hey Scoob,

Try this email -

[email protected]

and see if you can get a response. Make sure the subject title is something that will catch his eye, as he gets a lot of mail. Goodluck, he is a brilliant teacher and it's a beautiful place. I'm sure all will be well for you no matter what.

Cheers Kathleen

8. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

hI sCOOB,

I DID MY pdc WITH gEOFF IN mnELB AND THEN THE PRACTICAL COURSE WITH GEOFF AT bILLS FARM IN tAS.

Geoff is a meticulous teacher. very well structures, the notes are in a handout, all in all, fantastic. Nadia Lawton is also a fantastic teacher and you won't believe her cooking.

I can't rave enough. I became dyslexic on day three it was so mindblowing!

oNE THING THAT i DID NOTICE WAS THAT ANSWERS TO emails was slow, to say the least.

I think that they are a pretty small outfit and geoff gets 400 emails a day.

Nearer to the course commencement I got some emails on directions etc.

Try giving someone there a ring -

From what I gather, camping is very cheap and there are places to stay in the town nearby.

I did look up the channon for my partner to do the PDC and Practical course up there. Use googe, ring information in the area.

https://www.tropicalnsw.com.au/aaa_site/ ... annon.html

https://www.riversoflife.com.au/default. ... &q=channon

Very jealous,
    T

9. Fern O.

Fern O. Junior Member

hi scoob

I was going to be staying up there (at Diversity Farm) next week... but a couple of things have come up for me. I know some other people heading up there, and Dan said he's helping out on the course that's currently being run.
    If I don't get a chance to head up there, I could email the others (tell me if you'd like me to do that... I don't want you to be anxiously waiting).

I'm sure they're just flat out doing the course at the moment... I know I don't get much time to check emails when courses are running... they're full time... even at night, you're having dinner and chats. You'd be more likely to catch them if you ring.

Geoff's courses this month goes until the 29th, as your course is the September one, I'd say hang in there... they're certainly get back to you after the 29th. If you live in Australia, I'd say it's a good investment to get your own camping gear. There's no public tranport in the Channon, though lots of lovely people travel the Terania creek road, so I'd say you'd have no trouble getting a lift, if you were to stay at another place... I think there's a few B&B and Wwoofing places along Terania creek road.

Saying all that, the PDC down here in the Otways is pretty special too, more of a community based one. Tutors include; John Champagne, Phil Gall, Nick Romanowski. This one travels around to different places in the Otways. So if you want to stay on one beaut permaculture property in a warmer climate (than mine), I'd say stick with Geoff's. He'll certainly get back to you after the 29th.
    Cheers!
    Fern

10. davenz

davenz Junior Member

Awesome. Thanks for the great replies everyone. I wait with baited breathe. I'll start calling as it gets closer. Cheers.

11. tomintaz.

tomintaz. Junior Member

G'day Scoob..

Hiya Scoob.. my name is Tom, please send me your email and i'll get straight back in touch ! meanwhile....... my email is

[email protected]

I'll MAKE CERTAIN you get ALL the info you need !!