Strawbale chook/green house

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Franceyne, May 12, 2005.

1. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

I am looking for plans/details for a combined chicken house/greenhouse using strawbale construction methods.

The idea behind the structure was to use the greenhouse to keep the chooks warm.

I have seen plans somewhere (in a book or magazine I think) in the not too distant past but have been unable to relocate them.

Do such plans ring a bell with anyone? Can anyone remeber seeing something like what I am looking for?

I thank you for your assistance.

2. nobis77

nobis77 Junior Member

I'll second that request

Hi Fran,

I've seen a few ideas on paper both in books and on the web, but mostly temporary structures for overwintering the chickens in a straw fortress or as temporary residents in a standard greenhouse. I've read that the offgassing manure (amonia) interferes with seed germination, but that otherwise chickens and greenhouses seem to be made for each other. I'm sure someone out there has lots of experience, but it's not me... yet. What little I have seen was in CHICKEN TRACTOR strawbale edition by Andy lee and Pat Foreman. In INTRODUCTION TO PERMACULTURE by Mollison he has a nice big sketch of a wood frame construction chicken heated green house. It's on page 154 and he's obviously put some thought into it. But I'd bet there's much more potential from s-bale construction.

Are your questions mostly concerning the construction details particular to the s-bale method, system design, or are you just looking for some plans? I want to do this too and have books and ideas in all the separete areas but would like to hear more from someone who's combined atleast two of the components together chickens+greenhouse, chickens+strawbale, or greenhouse+strawbale.

3. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. Sorry it has taken me some time to get back to you.

I am looking for plans and dimensions of a structure that will work and as a confidence tool for my partner and myself - we have completed a strwbale building course and I wanted this to be our first project...i just can't find the original plans that I saw.

I had a look in both the resourses that you mention - no luck unfortunately.

I will let you know how we go though if you like.

4. nobis77

nobis77 Junior Member

Yes, thanks. I'd like to build one myself one day as a way to get in to s'bale construction.

5. bjgnome

bjgnome Junior Member

6. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Excellent! Thank you BJ Gnome.

It is not the one I had seen but a good reference to start with.

Much appreciated.

7. ABELL

ABELL New Member

strawbale chookhouse/greenhouse

Hello,
    I am interested in strawbale housing and I have a book called Strawbale Homebuilding, and it gives plans (but no picture) for a chookhouse and greenhouse combined.
    It is pubulished by : Earth Garden Books
    The ISBN number is : 0 9586397-4-4
    It was first published in : 2000
    You can Email the publisher at : [email protected]

Hope this helps.
    Best regards
    Abell

8. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Abell! You star! Thank you, I believe you have hit the jackpot :lol:

Strawbale Homebuilding is a book that I have flicked through but do not own - it must be the plans that I have been thinking of.

Excellent - I have done a strawbale building course and will look to building the chook home soon. I hope I can return the favour and pass some knowledge back to you :D