Hyancinth Bean (lablab) chicken forage?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Ryan, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Ryan

Ryan Junior Member

Hello all.

I have been Googling to see whether Hyacinth Bean (Lablab) was safe for my chickens to eat. Seems like a great vine to plant on chicken run fencing. I will wait to plant until I find out.

2. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Hi Ryan,
    If you go to the Eden Seeds site - https://www.edenseeds.com.au/content/default.asp you will see Lab Lab beans under LEGUMES/GREEN MANURE
    They say
    It is enough to cut green manures as they flower though they can also be cultivated into the top 5cm (2 inches) of soil. As part of the rotation they help build up organic matter and the rotation can be used to control weeds. If one is available, an inoculant is enclosed with the seed in a small plastic envelope. This is to be mixed through the seed before it is sown. As it is a dry powder it is best to use a sticker to ensure that every seed has a little on it. A good sticker is milk powder. So mix a little milk powder with the inoculant and seed. Add a tiny bit of water but not enough to leave any surplus in the mixing container or the mix will not stick very well. Your hand will be sticky too but it scrubs off easily. The inoculant is a dormant, beneficial, symbiotic bacteria which helps the plant obtain nitrogen from the air (in the soil). The plants will grow successfully without it however. Keep unused inoculant under refrigeration as it is to be kept in a dormant state until sown.
    LAB LAB BEAN
    Annual or bi-annual, twining and aggressive legume, largest bulk of seed in 20-24 weeks well suited to well drained coastal soils. Sow after frost, tropics and subtropics. 20 kg/ha.

In all cases, if there is any toxicity in any part of any plant, it is stated. As nothing is mentioned on their site I would say you are pretty safe. I have just received a yummy parcel of seed from them and will be planting Lab Lab as green manure and as a food source for chooks, sheep and milking goats.
    And, sigh, apparently for the wild roos.
    Go for it. Tell us your results and I'll post mine.
    Jackie K :D :D :lol: :lol:

3. Ryan

Ryan Junior Member

Thanks Jackie. I was pretty sure it was safe, but wanted another opinion. I appreciate your response. I hope the roos leave some lablab for the chooks. Goodluck.

4. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Whilst researching best growing conditions for all my new seeds, I saw on one site, can't remember which one now, LabLab are excellent stock fodder. I'm so excited.
    Jackie K :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

5. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

While it is used as a forage crop, I've run across warnings not to use it as the sole source of feed, as it contains a certain amount of Cyanogenic glycoside, which is toxic in large amounts. Mixed with other feed, it appears perfectly safe. There may be some off taste to the milk of cows and goats, but it isn't outstanding.

Sue

6. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Thanks for that Sue. I've just come across the same cautions in regard to Burdock (Arctium lappa) No doubt there are a few more to be aware of. As with feeding any animal, the best way is small amounts of as wide a variety as can be accessed.
    Cheers,
    Jackie K :D :D :D

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Yes, feeding just one thing isn't usually recommended. Even clover and lucerne (alfalfa here) are known as livestock feed, but carry the same warning not to overfeed.

I have just sprouted some pigeon peas that I received in a seed trade, and am hoping some of them will live long enough to produce viable seed. I read where it doesn't live long under optimum (warm) conditions, but less so in colder temperate climates such as here. But I won't know until I try!

Sue

8. Jackie K

Jackie K Junior Member

Hi Again,
    Yes, I'm doing the same here. Because we are still having drought conditions the ground hasn't cooled as much as it usually would. This area is, in some guides, classed as warm temperate, and others call it semi subtropical. A lot of seeds are recommended to plant after frost, but we don't get frost here. So I'm just starting a few seeds of a number of things in seed raising trays and will plant out when the survivors have grown on a bit, to see what will cope. Won't know if I don't try. I'm too impatient to wait till Spring, cos I don't know if spring will be spring, like autumn wasn't like autumn and winter doesn't look like being winter. All my plants are confused too, like me. I call it a developmental opportunity. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Jackie K

9. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

I thought lablab should be sown in the warmer month??
    I think it's a good thing in the chicken run because it's so vigurous, but it has to be fenced off first. And I don't think if they can pick as they wish, alongside with the normal foof that it'll be toxic.
    anyway, the link inspires me, but I'm not shure wether the lablabs can be planted now i Brisbane.

10. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

I'm sure you're correct, Hedwig. Lablab is mostly grown in the tropics, so I would assume it prefers warmth.

Here in the northern hemisphere, it's barely starting summer, so I'm just getting started sowing the plants that like warm temps.

Sue

11. paul wheaton

paul wheaton Junior Member

How big are the seeds?

I thought I did a bunch of research on lablab about three years ago and came up with something where the seeds are like rocks and the animals that eat them just pass them right through.

Not so?

12. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

twice the size of lentils. you can buy them in asia sores.