What issue should the PPP tackle first?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ho-hum, May 26, 2007.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I have created a new thread to discuss, if there is to be a PPP, what is the first political issue it should tackle? Use this thread or create another rather than fill the 'electoral compliance' thread with political comment.

Also I cannot see any issue with the Greens, the Greens have been around now for 20 years and from my perspective have had every opportunity to tackle permaculture issues but havent. I have never heard one Green politician mention the word 'permaculture'.

It would be great to have a couple of pragmatic permie senators to keep things sustainable. I endorse the creation of this party because I see permies as being very much mainstream. Even in here we have people across the globe in a variety of different social, economic and social situations who all share the common bond of Permaculture.

I am a veteran of a small conservative party that has a number of permie oriented members that has made an impact on how government deals with roads and land use. Not a huge impact but certainly an impact.

Here's something to consider. Recently the ALP in the NT approved the diversion of a big river - the Macarthur River at Borroloola. What a pragmatic permie politician might have done is to approve the diversion but included in it the creation of 400 acres of wetland, 2 permanent lakes, 2 occasional lakes, 3 waterfalls, 4 swimming holes, 6 permanent island habitats etc etc etc..... Maybe not dismiss the project but modify it so that if the river is going to be shifted 5kms then at least get some environmental [both people and animal] benefit from it.

Of note, the Greens were against the project. The ALP were, I believe, financially blackmailed into it. The conservatives were for it.

Me, I thought for the sake of 100 jobs the river could bloody well stay where it was unless, there was a greater environmental benefit to the wider community than just economic gain.

floot

2. RobWindt

RobWindt Junior Member

The Greens will never touch the sacred mantra of "sustainable economic growth". Destroy this myth before it destroys us.

3. richard in manoa

richard in manoa Junior Member

Well, it would be nice to see a national policy aimed at solving the soil depletion and species loss, not to mention economic losses and humat fatalities to the yearly threat of out of control bushfire.
    How about setting the armed forces up as Jean Pain style, biogas powered fuel reduction crews? They could make compost to fire their chippers, then spread the resulting biosolids in high value reforestation projects.

We could make a water harvesting plan for the entire continent, involving massive scale reforestation.

Oh, and uh, we could start demanding that all Government (for a start) buildings get their electricity from on site solar and/or wind. We know that we would make our money back in a few years, and we know that we can't afford not to...

4. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

as Richard says:

Brilliant! I agree completely. I was going to say swale the nation but you said it perfectly.

Aboriginal people must play a prominent role in the water harvesting plan

plus:

Every person to do a PDC asap, paid for by the govt (Taxpayers) - gosh - do we have enough teachers??????? GULP

Trompe power- compressed air driving engines, creating electricity - no more need for coal or even "clean coal"

What else fellow permies?????

Love Tamara

5. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

It would be interesting to break the nation down into bio-regions and permie them. Break the bio-regions down into smaller sections and permie them. Break the sections down into districts and permie them.

We could probably look towards the conservationists for 'borders'.

Richard,

Just on your issue of working with the Greens, all parties at present reserve the right with preferences to do as they wish but ALL preferences on a ballot sheet go to the person next nominated by the voter so it is no biggy.

Just the fact of having a national party with a national base albeit even just 500 members/supporters would give us huge clout federally. Councils spend millions of dollars on town planners who are trained by who? To do what? What about a permaculturist working alongside them?

A Permaculture Advisory group to the PM's Office would be great. [This type of thing is common and is open to all politicians].

There is lots to do and lots we can do.

floot

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Hello floot, everyone :)

It would be interesting to break the nation down into bio-regions and permie them. Break the bio-regions down into smaller sections and permie them. Break the sections down into districts and permie them.

Councils spend millions of dollars on town planners who are trained by who? To do what? What about a permaculturist working alongside them?

Not only local council, but planners (urban, rural, regional, environmental, and otherwise) also work at the state and federal levels. We also have planners working at all levels from within the private sector. The PIA currently has about 4000 members, all of whom must complete 4-years of course work at accredited universities, then complete another two-years of internship before professional status is given.

To do what? Plan would be the short answer. Don't like what town planners are planning? Attend the charettes and have a go yourself. It's a lot of fun and could see you having a major influence on your local landscape.

What about permaculturalists working AS them?

Federal and state governments are quickly becoming obsolete. Regional-sector politico-economics is the way of the future, in fact, it's the driving force behind governance in most developing countries right now. I like the idea of regionally-based permaculturalisation, I just think it will be more affective if we start from the centre (we permies), and work our way out (or 'up') from there.

Cheers everyone, I'm off to class to talk about permaculture through the guise of New Urbanism.

Mark.

7. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Very well said Rob.

Great ideas Richard.

I think the most important issues to tackle which haven't yet been mentioned are relocalisation, powerdown, creating sustainable employment, and devising new systems of land ownership which get away from one owner broadacre, heavily mechanised food production.

FWIW, I've always thought that the best way to make a Permaculture Party viable and immediately successful is to create a hub for the movement where the density of Permaculture oriented people outweighs those who vote for the traditional parties and still believe in the 'business as usual' mantra.

8. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

I spoke to Bill today. he had seen the 4 corners program last night and said that one of our policies is that we won't allow the torture of our citizens - especially by the USA.

I agree. the program was horrifying.

Love Tamara

9. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

HOw much does it cost to set up a political party in Australia, anyone know? (the legal costs)

If someone can set up a Party for Silly Walks surely it can't be that hard.

I'd join...I'd even be happy to hand our flyers/cups of tea/doorknock!

10. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Well i dont know where this would come under....

Id Like for all of Australias troops be withdrawn from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Tezza

11. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

It costs $500 to register the party. We have also registered the name as a business at a cost of $72 (paid by me).

I'd like Australain troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan too, but is it Permie party stuff?

Bill wants the party to be world wide. Maybe we permie the world and there are no more wars??? (Yes I am a crazy idealist
    :D :D :D :D :D :D)

Here's a question. Should people standing for parliament as a PPP person need to have done a PDC. If so, if someone wants to stand and hasn't done a PDC yet, maybe we could get them one asap after we form the party...

Any ideas?

I think the PPP should be given the entire Murray Darling catchment to permie. John howard is offereing 10 mil (or Bil? I can't remember) that would pay for a few swales and the retraining of farmers I reckon!

Much love,
    Tamara

12. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

While we're at it, lets work with the country's most disadvantages people - Aboriginal people - . Maybe we won't send in the army or coppers but permies (as per requests from communities!)

Love T

13. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

No disrespect to the cops or the army guys ....But yeah they sure know alot about life dont they..

Bit like sending Dynamite experts into do Leg waxing

One of is is missing the Point here Permaculture isnt just Growing Vegies,or pretty trees and home made soaps its "EVERYTHING"

Maybe removing aussie troops from other countries isnt strictly "Permaculture" to some peoples IT IS to Me

For half decent representitives to represent we need open minde People..

People who can SEE the big picture....

Everything on this little old planet is "Interconnected" EVERYTHING!!!

Our biggest problem in life is "Ourselves"

We gotta get our own house in order first......

Annoying our fellow earthlings in the way we do, HAS to STOP.

Every soldier should have an Introduction to Permaculture in his back pack
    not a m16 or whatever

Were are not helping anyone, with a gun in our hands..

Why????

Somehow i get the Impression they arnt a bunch of happy chappies with our guys putting their lives on the line for OIL oops sorry "regional stabilty"

Tezza

14. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Personally,

I would love to be a fly-on-the-wall when the car companies come knocking at the Permie Minister for Trades door and ask for tax cuts to 'save jobs'.

Said Minister might say, ''No worries, as soon as you have designed a plastic runabout that can carry 4 or 2 and luggage, has a max speed of 80kph and gets 100mpg city cycle, has adjustable ground clearance, a maximum weight of 500kg tare and has doesnt run on fossil fuel.''

''Keep the price down to $5000 new, make the whole thing recycleable, and we have a deal on the tax breaks''.

''You might also like to consider a commercial version for tradesman with a 500-800cc petrol engine [same mpg's required].''

''Next please!!''

Secretary to Minister, ''I have Woolies & Coles on the phone wanting to negotiate your packaging incentive, they are saying that all that packaging that people are returning to their stores is polluting their shops and making their stores look terrible and people are now going to their local little deli's and shopping there. They say it's killing them.''

Minister, ''Tell them I am busy now but still have concerns over how the supermarkets are treating farmers and oh by the way I want a report on how the supermarket's pensioner home delivery scheme is working?''

hehehe :D :D :D :D :twisted:

15. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I am not a fan of federalising anything but currently out of 8 states and territories I believe we only have 1 [south australia] that has Container Deposit Legislation.

Something for the PPP to consider.

floot

16. muzzduck

muzzduck Junior Member

Two excellent posts and points floot. Wouldn't it be great for Geelong to become the renewable technologies capital of southern aus if Ford has/wants to lay off 600 workers. ??!!

17. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Hello floot, everyone :)

Regarding the container industry: A couple of years ago I did some light research into this subject. I seem to remember that there was a motion put on the Victorian state-government table calling for a levy to be put on all container packaging (similar to the South Australian system). I also seem to remember that the motion imploded due to pressure from the container industry - no surprises there.

I no longer have the file, so I can't pass on my findings to you, floot. But I'm sure some judicious googling will bear fruit.

Try: clean up container industry

Cheers, Mark.

18. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Actually Eco,

The NT went down that path, and 'decided' after some massive monetary exchange to 'pursue' the issue... I believe 22million was squirted down the neck of the NT ALP.

Apparently, it is still 'under review'.

There was a 4 Corners enquiry into it at that time.

When the NT ALP were elected in 2001[ i think] this was their 'biggest' issue. I could spend a long time bemoaning this issue as it was their biggest 'plank'.. but it's all history now.

floot

19. Tamara

Tamara Junior Member

As a South Australian, I am particularly proud of the 5c return on drink containers in SA. I agree.
    T

20. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

I would definitely support a National Bioregional Development Plan, and a National Public Transport Infrastructure Plan, as well as a national container deposit and recycling strategy.

I like Floot's environmental quid pro quo strategy for negotiating with big business as well.