cigarettes & monsanto

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by ho-hum, Apr 24, 2007.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

We need to begin to lobby politicians to treat all harmful chemicals [including roundup] with the same disdain we treat cigarettes.

Tax them out of existence.

Any takers?

floot

2. frosty

frosty Junior Member

good idea but dont expect much interest ....... those of us with MCS have been trying to do it for years with no success

any campaign should also include perfumes and personal care products

years ago one independant scientist said eventually perfumes ( which are full of harmful VOCS similar to paint thinners ) would be found to cause as much harm as cigarette smoke

frosty

3. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Sounds good Floot if it could (as Frosty says) generate enough interest...IMO we'd have to have a huge campaign to distribute info about alternatives for these products to be truly successful. In my experience, most people are glad to use a less harmful or non-harmful alternative - provided it works ok.

On another slightly related note, why does the government spend millions telling us of all the very harmful non-essential additives in cigarettes, instead of just banning the companies from putting them in there in the first place? If it were food or drink they could do just that - what is the difference?

It'd be good to see a harm minimisation approach in this area...we measure the harm of 'tobacco' as influenced by the 1001 nasty ingredients which are added to it - not without.

4. blinkblink

blinkblink Junior Member

Prohibition just doesn't work. You'll create a black market and organised crime will step in and make a killing.

5. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Nah, I didn't mean prohibition of cigarettes Blink...just a ban on putting nasty unnecessary chemicals in them.

I read a book a long time ago (forgotten the name) about major corporations using cigarettes as a profit making dumping ground for all kinds of waste chemicals they'd have to pay to dispose of themselves otherwise.

Is there any other plausible reason for all the nasty crap in them?

6. gg

gg Junior Member

"The DNA Plant Technology Corporation of Oakland, California, a major biotechnology company (producer of the now defunct gene-altered "Endless Summer" tomato), was indicted in U.S. Federal District Court on January 7 for criminal conspiracy in exporting high-nicotine, highly addictive, genetically engineered tobacco to Brazil. After covertly growing the tobacco in Brazil, five million pounds of the super-potent Y-1 tobacco were reimported back to the U.S. and inserted in five major brands of cigarettes. The transnational cigarette giant, Brown & Williamson, was named as an unindicted co-conspirator. The U.S. Justice department alleged in court documents that DNAP and B&W worked together to utilize the genetically altered tobacco to manipulate the nicotine levels in tobacco plants, thereby making tobacco products derived from the gene-altered plants more addictive."

Source: https://www.inmotionmagazine.com/blund2.html

I have tried to quit a couple times over the last 18 months and found myself in a repeating time loop, feeling insane, and in the chokehold of an incredible rage, a storm of negative emotion I have never e ver encountered before. Not good for me or the others around me.
    However after reading this, I am so sick and tired of being manipulated and controlled by f****** chemical corps in bed with pharma corps that I am trying again. I have blockaded myself away from everyone this time until I kick this addiction.

So here I am on day 8, mellowed on passion flower tabs to the max, sweating streams in the garden each day, taking these negative feelings and cutting back the jungle with a vengeance. I am gonna kick this habit once and for all. Bonus points for finding a long forgotten rock wall under about 30 years of growth. :D Mother Goddess is a healing, calming and soothing presence.

7. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

gg,

Fabulous post thank-you and my goodwill towards your current efforts at quitting.

floot

8. gg

gg Junior Member

Thanks Floot! It means a lot to me. :D Day 10. It's almost safe to come out. :wink:

I jsut can't believe how hard it is to overcome nicotine addiction already and then they are making it even more addictive? All in the name of the great god $.

On another note....does anyone know how long it takes to get the chemicals out of one's system? I have been sweating gallons each day for over a week now, and drinking gallons of water as well as taking herbs to detox, trigger healing and stay mellow and scrubbing off with salt daily. I can still smell nicotine coming out from my pores.
    Does anyone have any further suggestions they can share with me?

On a good note, I am starting to feel more positive with lots more energy.

9. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Go GG go!

Check out some macrobiotic recipes for cleansing and detox, such as:

https://www.kripalu.org/article/373/

My (ex) wife used a macrobiotic cleansing diet after her bout with cancer, chemotherapy, and radiation. She believed that it really helped to get the poisons out of her system as quickly as possible.

9anda1f

10. gg

gg Junior Member

TY 9anda1f!! Great site. These recipes look really good both flavorably (is that even a word??) and to do the job of cleaning house.

Isn't it amazing how simple it really all is? or should be? Hardwork, fresh air, sunlight, decent water and plenty fresh food prepared simply and look what happens in return? Clear thoughts, and abundant energy, nice skin, bright eyes and positive feelings.
    These modern day poisons, like soda, cigs, mass production cheap beers, meats etc. , I think is behind all the depression plaguing so many modern day humans. I can't believe how much better I am feeling so soon just by kissing the toxic input goodbye.
    It's becoming clear to me just how much a hostage I have been. I realize I started all this to myself once upon a time, but I am still really po'd they want to make the addictive substances even more so. It's one of the hardest things I have ever had to do without losing my mind.

11. jeff

jeff Junior Member

up in smoke

Go for it GG. Just imagine your burnt out, steaming lungs on a tray in front of you! works for me.
    I stopped 4 weeks ago, stopped smoking everything. at 45, enough is enough.
    couldn't stop smoking this because I smoked that. couldn't stop smoking that because I smoked this, if you get my drift.
    That's 30 years of extreme smoking.
    What really helps my determination to stop smokin is the price of nicotine replacement therapy.(and the feeling I was starring in Grounhog Day) $62.00 for two week supply of patches!
    Thats less than I spent on tobacco but I just thought to hell with all those legal drug dealers! blood sucking scurvy dogs!
    You can do it man!

12. gg

gg Junior Member

That's exactly what I thought! The pharma corps and the tobacco companies are in the war over who gets the most of the nicotine addict pie. Count me out man, count me out. I am sick of their machinations and manipulations. I am tired of taking the piss and paying for it, for crying out loud. They are just laughing at us behind our backs.

Congratulations Jeff!! Boy 4 weeks sounds like such a long time! hehehe Sometimes I get through an hour without thinking about it, but it can be such a long time sometimes. Major change to substitute some other thought pattern or activiity. Mindfulness, constant mindfulness.