Hemp, Cannabis, Marijuana

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by noosphere, Apr 18, 2007.

1. gflower

gflower New Member

Re: Hemp, Cannabis, Marijuana

Addiction of any kind is not good for health be it smoking, alcohol or drugs. Once a person gets addicted to such things then it's very tough to get over it because of the addictive nature of these things. It takes immense will power and dedication to get over such habits. Best luck to all those who want to give up there habits.

2. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

Re: Hemp, Cannabis, Marijuana - pro-active stance forAlzheimers

I am a pot grower,smoker, eater...fan.
    It is my recreational drug of choice.

I smoke a large amount, perhaps an oz of prime a month. It does not cost me, I don't buy. I do not sell, that is illegal :D
    but i don't sell because it turns something beautiful (pot) into something ugly (money).

i use pot in my pro active stance against Alzheimer's Disease. Long ago I reasoned that as I was a high risk for Alzheimers I would take the initiative and do unto me before it was done unto me. I am quite chuffed about this.

Hippy beats Alzheimers by getting to his brain first! - you have to think outside the loop :rolleyes:

Call me old fashioned but I'm a 'bush' kinda guy. Hydies are just too dang chemical for me.
    And growing out of season in controlled environments doesn't do it for me.

Pot and Permaculture go together because pot is just one of those wonderfully useful plants.

Pot and me go together because addiction can be a positive thing. :lol:
    'When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty...viva le resistance!
    regards,
    Kimbo

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Are there studies that show it helps Alzheimer's ?

4. kimbo.parker

Re: Hemp, Cannabis, Marijuana -Alzheimers

I wasn't suggesting a medical benefit, but I would not be surprised by one.

I suggest that to 'loose memory' by ones own hand is a vastly superior option to loosing it via disease.
    If the disease is very likely ( as in my case ), I effectively beat it to the 'punch'.

By the time I'm loosing memory to Alzheimer's, there won't be much left to loose.
    Jeeze, I feel empowered just talking about it.

So, I guess I am 'treating' my condition as 'pre Alzheimers' with a nifty bit of self medication.

Whilst I'm on about this (one of my pet subjects);
    Pot does not cause mental illness
    running out of Pot does!
    :wink:
    regards, KImbo

5. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

6. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

I agree ojo pot's easy i've given up hundreds of times :D

7. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

me too, no problem, but you don't want to see me without my morning coffee. A dependant personality can get addicted to about anything. Demonizing the noble weed is getting kind of weak. Prohibition kills!!

8. kimbo.parker

Ojo (man), I like the cut of your jib, if you are running for anything I'd vote for you. You display the kind of level headedness I can relate to;
    'you live in the desert (tick), you respect herb (tick)...
    cheers, Kimbo

9. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

I live on the Mexican/US border so I get to see the death and violence caused by a failed "war on drugs". I'm not running for office, but if it was up to me Doctors would be able to prescribe anything they thought would help and people would be able to grow any plant they desire.
    Yes I like the desert even with the heat and lack of rain. It was 108 (42C) here yesterday and the monsoon has started, (mostly humidity not rain) it must be starting to cool down 'down under' eh?

10. kimbo.parker

cold, windy and pissing down. over 70mm rain for june. the paddocks are green and they are dotted with little new born white lambs, there is water in the dams, the creeks are beginning to flow, there are frogs and tadpoles. the first mushrooms are happening and the gravel road is going to need grading soon. meanwhile my solar array can't keep up with our meagre demands because it is cloudy every day.

time for a billy and a nap
    regards, KImbo

11. Wyche

Wyche Junior Member

It probably won't be too long until the war on drugs will be too expensive to wage. This happened with prohabition during the Great Depression. It doesn't do anything but clog prisons, ruin families and waste money. I don't condone drug use but it is not governments job to mandate behavior or the crops that farmers want to grow(as long as it does not affect anyone elses property).

12. Michaelangelica

Ther is some evidence emeging that adolescent brains really can't handle many drugs at all. That includes alcohol,anti-depressants and recreational drugs.
    This is due to the huge spurt of brain development during adolescence. (yes i know, it seems the reverse is happening!)-- so the same is probably true of the developing fetus.
    Also MJ smoke is as harmful as any other inhaled smoke or fine particle pollution.
    "Ventolin/astma type delivery systems are being developed and used.

i agree the war on drugs is a silly waste of time and money. Make them all legal, some available under prescription and this will stop the corrupting effects on our legislators and law enforcers. This I feel is a more dangerous problem of drugs. Too much money which corrupts all levels of society. i think this is very unlikely though as the right wing Christian and the drug-sellers lobby don't want this to happen
    Heroin addicts can hold down a job if given maintenance doses. If they are getting their drugs legally there may be a chance that one day they will decide to go into re-hab.

Ice scares me. Some of the new powerful marijuana varieties might also be a problem.
    I can't believe that kids trust a failed chemistry student in a grotty backyard lab with their lives.
    i would no more take an unmaked pill given to me by a stranger than fly. But then is is along time since I felt invulnerable and immortal.

The drug that causes society the most problems socially, financially, and medically is alcohol.
    Recently the one Oz state announced it would be building a $100mil jail. In the past c. 5-6 years the female population of jails has doubled--most drug related. It costs about $1,500+ a week to put a person in jail. This is counter productive and a poor social investment.
    I recently came across this interesting article:-
    https://www.basilandspice.com/journal/th ... ssion.html
    The author states

This is a blog?/thread I have been running on the science of Medicinal Marijuana.
    https://hypography.com/forums/medical-sc ... icine.html

13. hozzy

hozzy Junior Member

I just finished reading a book called McMafia. The book explains that by making drugs illegal, you give organizations a market. If drugs were illegal, then no one would buy them from a shifty drug dealer, they would go to a government taxed place to get them. Taxes that could fund healthcare, re-hab programs, etc. Alcohol is cost governments huge healthcare cost and is hard on society as it is. It is taxed though, and there are no gangs running it.

Make Alcohol illegal tomorrow, gangs would get stronger (think of the demand, someone will fill it), and others would switch to other drugs. The problem is not on the supply side it is the demand side. We have to deal with that, from the young age, don't say drugs are bad, tell kids what happens to the brain/organs when you use them. That is what happened with cigarettes (and it worked for me, I don't smoke). Of course the idea of having legal smack and legal meth scares most people, so does the idea of having a gang control your politictions and killing people in your town. Pick one, remember, one way the substance can be taxed and revenue can be gained to help those who need it, the other way it isn't taxed and the amount of people using is the same.

Among other things, hemp is a very strong and useful plant that could be used in many things, including medicine (imagine an aspirin made of hemp, not raw chemicals as it is made now).

14. kimbo.parker

I'm thinking of 'how hard it is to grow a decent bit of bush hooch these days. In the good old days the seeds were decent seeds which grew smoking weed. Nowadays the seed grows rope and if you want to grow smoke you need a 'clone'.

If I was into conspiracy theories I'd say ' selective busts' over decades wiped out any C.indica, C.americana or C.'getsyouhigh' in West Oz. (I'm only talking of west oz) such that the only seeds on the street are C. sativa.

Any relic of decent herb is someones mother plant, in controlled conditions - perenial, and the source of cuttings brought on to 'clones'.

I'm spewing....release unto nature and fix the gene pool of local west oz bush herb such that we aren't smoking rope.
    this is what happens when you let organized crime control the supply....realize, legalize.
    regards,Kimbo

15. ppp

ppp Junior Member

common man, are you telling us you haven't been practicing your open polination and seed saving? Someone must have some "heritage seeds" ?

16. kimbo.parker

indeed it is Bizare that such a fate should befall a bloke like me;
    I reckon it is bigger than me though, so big it is probably a 'syndrome'....with a stupid name like 'the hippy paradox'.

i am man enough to admit you're right though. Should have seen it coming, Nay! felt it ! Dam I was negligent -
    But not as negligent as al those fkn rope growers down the road that let their males loose on an unsuspecting public. ( smells like Monsanto ) Roundup ready hooch, that provides that 'subtle something' to soup but 'leaves you as it found you' (in need of a cone).

regards, Kimbo

17. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol:

gotta learn to seed save as they say!!

Tezza

18. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

Here in New Zealand, aka sensimillia central, the government in its infinite wisdom has stomped on industrial hemp trials, pretty much because they, and certain sectors of the community that are likely to vote for them, can't seem to comprehend the difference between 'dope' and hemp.
    I'm not a fan of the 'dope' variety: unless you're pretty unusual, it tends to knock the motivation (and brains) right out of you, but hemp's amazing, versatile stuff. So, "take that, you filthy non-petrochemical!"

19. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

"Although our study is far from final, it does show that there is a previously unrecognized molecular mechanism through which THC may directly affect the progression of Alzheimer's disease."

Janda's team found that THC blocks an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase, which speeds the formation of amyloid plaque in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease.

The Alzheimer's drugs Aricept and Cognex work by blocking acetylcholinesterase. When tested at double the concentration of THC, Aricept blocked plaque formation only 22 percent as well as THC, and Cognex blocked plaque formation only 7 percent as well as THC.

"THC and its analogs may provide an improved [treatment for] both the symptoms and progression of Alzheimer's disease," the researchers conclude.

The findings appear in the Aug. 9 online edition of the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics, a publication of the American Chemical Society.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/10/ ... 2101.shtml

New research shows there seems to be something in pot that actually undermines cancer, instead of causing it. -- and the media are doing their best to ignore it.

https://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/14 ... ng_cancer/

20. Michaelangelica

Always happy to swap seed :)
    I (and my wife) have some cronic pain issues and would like to cook up some cookies to try.Any recipies?
    I can't believe i got to this stage of my life without inhaling. I tried most everything else in the 60s'
    Now, of late, some Doctors' drugs that i feel are FAR more dangerous than MJ