Hemp, Cannabis, Marijuana

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by noosphere, Apr 18, 2007.

1. zhimm

zhimm Junior Member

Pebble,

You have said that Herer could be right. No one is asking you to take his word as "gospel".

Here's a few items from someone that has studied "both sides" for years... myself.

Cannabis has been used by mankind for "relief" since earliest recorded history.

Even detractors have admitted no one has ever died from cannabis.

Standard pharmaceuticals ... (prescribed by doctors), kill and injure thousands every year because of their many side-effects, yet there are no plans to ban them.

Cannabis has been shown to be beneficial for so many maladies... it is truly a broad spectrum medicinal. It was often prescribed by doctors before the "drug" method of treating people came along.

Here in the US, multitudes of positive studies done by respected sources all over the world on its effectiveness are "buried", while those studies that have any negatives are trumpeted by the media nation-wide. I have carefully read the "negative" ones and find that their methods of study and presenting their statistics are quite questionable. You read the "shocking" headlines of the story, but when you read the whole article you find nothing "concrete" about the supposed facts they are aledging.

That last objection to the "smoking" of cannabis (lung damage by particles) has been overcome, yet you never hear of it. Someone now can use a "vaporizer" and get all the positive medicinal benefits of the THC molecule without any smoke in the lungs... or they can simple add cannabis to foods and take it orally.

Basically the "argument" will boil down to this:

We will either continue to allow the "system" to dictate what we are allowed to consume in our bodies, or we will "take charge" of our own lives and health matters as free individuals.

I submit to you the right to guide your health matters as your knowledge of these matters permits... to choose your method of medication.

At present, the "system" affords me no such choice. I am criminalized if I choose to use something that "natures god" has provided long before the present "controllers" arrived on the scene.

I do hope you read his book Pebble... you will learn much from which to make an informed decision. However you decide for yourself, I would hope you will always afford others the right to choose their method of "medication"... unlike the "authorities" do. :)

2. zhimm

zhimm Junior Member

I just found a very good article that will give the reader the "why" concerning the state of affairs of cannabis.

Folk need to understand the politics and monied interests behind the demonization and suppression of this plant. If you do not understand the root of this suppression, you will probably continue to believe the lies of the prohibitionists.

This article in some ways parallels Jack Herer's book, but is more contemporary. The article... (in 3 parts), "tells it like it is".

https://www.bestcyrano.org/THOMASPAINE/?p=161

3. Muzza

Muzza New Member

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Zhimm, I think you've misunderstood my post. I'm not in the anti-cannabis camp by any means. As I said, I have my own view that it's a useful plant for most people, harmful to some.

Nor do I dispute that goverments have controlled and suppressed information about cannabis.

What I am saying is that Herer misuses scientific research at the top of his homepage, which is going to be the first point of contact for many people seeking information about his views.

In essence, because of the way he has presented that information, he is saying I KNOW THE TRUTH, and is not providing any backup to that i.e. we are to take his word for it that heavy use while pregnant has lots of positive outcomes for the child.

Scientific research has a context and the research is often meaningless outside of that context i.e. you have to look at any single study alongside others, and you have to have a competent analysis of the study.

He does provide a reference for the research, but it's a relatively inaccessible one. What he could do instead is provide a link to another page where he outlines more of the research eg sample size, methodologies, analysis, conclusions etc.

People who are pro-use will take the little bit of information on his page and use it to further their views in the world, but other than Herer's word I can't seen any evidence for the assertion about heavy use while pregnant.

Maybe Herer's presentation is a balancing out of the bullshit that government does, but Herer does have a reputation - you yourself said:

"The author of this site is known world-wide for his knowledge of this plant.

Jack Herer has probably done more to "resurrect" lost knowledge of this plant that was so important to mankind for millenia before our time than anyone living today."

With that reputation comes responsibility.

Anway, to sum up, I'm not contesting the safety or otherwise of cannabis, I'm contesting the use of science research in such a way that renders it meaningless. It's bad form, bad tactics, and it does a disservice to the movement to get better information to the public about this plant.

5. ali_celt

ali_celt Junior Member

Hemp fabric is made in a lot of places. I import a few types of hemp/cotton blend fabric to use in my store.
    The properties of hemp as a fabric are quite astonishing, although I do beleive the processing of the plant can be rather intensive. Although I prefer to use the hemp/organic cotton blends, hemp itself cannot be marketed as organic due to the processes involved in manufacturing the fibre.
    I wouldn't know how to do it from scratch, although I can try and find out some more about the current factory-based processes throughout china if you like
    Ali

6. zhimm

zhimm Junior Member

I agree pebble :)

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
  8. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tezza

9. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

10. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

and it might help your head.

Nonpsychoactive cannabidiol prevents prion accumulation and protects neurons against prion toxicity.
    excerpt
    https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0709/S00040.htm
    https://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7362

Head injury is the leading cause of death among children and young adults in the United States, where nearly 100,000 people a year are disabled by it.

Dexanabinol was found to combat three processes that contribute to loss of brain cells after blunt-force trauma.

The drug blocks glutamates, amino acids that may multiply with deadly effect following damage to cell membranes. It scavanges free radicals, the destabilizing byproducts of oxygen metabolism that also seem to multiply in damaged cells. It also inhibits the action of inflammatory cytokine, which causes swelling.
    excerpts
    https://www.thecompassionclub.org/medica ... 311415-028

European researchers are testing an anandamide-based stroke treatment that, if used quickly enough, seems to protect and cushion the brain from the worst effects of stroke.
    https://www.alternet.org/drugreporter/15094/

11. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

Seed balls
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_ball

What led you to projects like this?

Logic, good food, and good friends. Smoking pot helps, too. Only in Amsterdam of course.

The model for my farms is Masanobu Fukuoka’s seed ball project and Bill Mollison’s Permaculture system of sustainable agriculture. (Fukuoka is the pioneer of natural farming and sustainable agriculture in Japan who now gives lectures abroad. Mollison is an Australian researcher.) Basically, the idea is to spread the seed and let nature go. It’s about living in an edible jungle. You don’t need to pay 100 yen to buy a few pieces of lettuce or herbs. You just plant some seeds, the rain falls and they grow, and you get hundreds of leaves and thousands of seeds the next year.
    excerpt
    https://www.thememagazine.com/index.php? ... Itemid=121

https://www.bokashiman.com/category/gard ... gardening/

12. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

This post humors me :)

This stuff effects people (mildly) in different ways, and it largely depends on what kind of mental state the person is in. Mildly, meaning probably the same way mushrooms, peyote, ayahuasca, etc, do... but much, much to a lesser extent.

I used to smoke a lot. Like... everyday, most of the day. Was I depressed ? Not even close ! Happiest person some people knew :)
    Was I addicted ? Not at all ! Went months without it, and didn't even think about it. Did it drag me down ? Nope ! Was studying hard, and I learnt a lot those years. Many surgeons and lawyers will say the same.

It's a plant with amazing healing properties, and amazing applications... much like many of the other herbs being used out there.

I haven't smoked n a while (moving to a new country, having a new kid)... but will I again ? Most definitely !
    :D

13. inahd

inahd Junior Member

Re: Hemp, Cannabis, Marijuana

a few things about this remarkable plant:

it is said to pull 20% more nutrients into the soil than it takes out

i am told that it is one of the few plants to process the heavy metal phosphate and utilize it in large quantities.

it is used for holding soil along riverbanks, flood areas etc

it can be used to make EVERY petroleum based product!!!

prior to 1936 it was used as a base in 80% of medicines worldwide

14. zhimm

zhimm Junior Member

This is a video I wish everyone could see on this topic:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pjhT9282-Tw

It is on youtube as a seven part series. It's called "Run from the Cure". It was made in Canada.

15. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

I reckon I can be open minded here, as I've never smoked anything, legal or otherwise. I belive MJ is a good medicine and should be used as as such, on prescription, especially to alleviate the nausea of chemotherapy.

I've read that it was criminalised in the US back in the thirties as hemp was a major rival to the emerging synthetic monofilament industry. MJ was also the narcotic of choice of African Americans,as it grew freely. So banning it protected big business and hurt black Americans. These were evil times if you were black and/or poor, but big business could do what it liked.

Nowadays, as I understand, a GM version is used a lot, and it is far too strong to be safe. My own view is that a couple of plants in the back yard for personal use hurts no-one, as long as it is used sparingly, but I wouldn't bother myself.

16. zhimm

zhimm Junior Member

Joan,

You are correct about the racism employed, as well as threats to the emerging synthetic industries that cannabis posed in those days. The proponents of the "Drug War" hide those facts now, and have to keep inventing new "reasons" to keep the ban on this plant as people become more educated on the subject and less suceptible to the simple, blatant propaganda of an earlier era.

One of the newer lies here in the 'states is that the "new" cannabis in 17 more potent than the stuff from the '60's. This is pure rubbish, as cannabis is still the same plant it was back then. I will concede however, that today, the method of growing is more refined as to the nutrition the plant needs to be its healthiest. Of course, that will produce a better "product", but no where near the silly 17 times figure. Actually this is better, because the user will smoke less to get the same "result".

I've never heard of a "GM" version. Who, other than major corporations, would have the technical and monetary capabilities to produce that? I seriously doubt ANY legitimate corporation would dare to risk their fortunes doing something so blatantly "illegal".

At this point in time, I am very suspicious that the "GM version" is another scare tactic designed to frighten the public into their continued support of keeping the plant illegal.

Joan, if you can provide a source for the GM story, I'd like you to post it.

You mentioned you would see no harm in some backyard plants, and that it hurts no one. Isn't that the "bottom line"? By that, I mean, who is the master of our adult lives... the "State" or ourselves? What gives "them" the right to tell us what we can or cannot "ingest" in the privacy of our own homes?

17. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Sorry - the GM things was something I was told....perhaps they just meant selective plant breeding. I'm pretty horrified to think that such a whopping lie is being circulated about ultra strong cannabis, but I have heard this mentioned from a few people, over many years.

Yes, I guess I do believe in people making their own informed decisions about things, and I truly hate it when people are prosecuted for victimless crimes. But of course, informed decisions are only worth taking if the information is correct.

18. inahd

inahd Junior Member

i think hybridized would be more correct, although i would not be surprised if hemp were not being modified genetically for increased production and to look different (more easily differentiated by helicopters).

19. zhimm

zhimm Junior Member

Joan,

You need not be sorry for your statement. You are simply stating what you have heard, and there's nothing wrong with that. Yes, most likely it's "selective plant breeding" instead of GM. I still maintain that even this method of breeding could not substantially make the outrageous claims made about potency true.

Again, even if true, the user would actually need less "smoke" from the plant to achieve its "results". The "warriors" have still not proven that cannabis at any potency is a "bad" thing. I've seen a number of bogus studies that have attempted to mislead people about its "horrors", but at closer scrutiny of who funded the "study", the deception becomes apparent.

You should watch the video I listed (if you have the means to do so) to see what the ingestion of a REALLY potent extract of cannabis can do ... I think it will surprise you.

20. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I think that MJ's potency has been 'improved' over the past 25 years. I also believe that the plant's community based importance has been diminished by this. As an advocate of cannabis, I am always wary that many of those that propose the plant as a panacea for the world's ills use this as a disguise to support their excuse that this plant is a 'safe way of ignoring community social standards' and being an ignorant and expense waste of tax contributed funds.

Big statement, but many people do, the courts are full of them. To my mind and I have repeatedly and politically tried to remove this bugbear from society.

I have also lived in a society in Oz, that de-legalised MJ years ago, and then had a change of mind. We, in the NT, also grew enough 'kenaf' [low THC fibre] enough to flood the world market..... and couldn't at that time, find any buyers. Neither this plant or attitudes towards it are new, only opinions are. We can't now whinge at the success of the nylon fibre and US govt lobbyists, that is all history. We need people who can actually scare our governments into having a non-global, non-WTO, non World Bank assessment of what we need to do over the next 15 years...... the next ''100 years'' is not realistic.

Cannabis is a remarkable plant for oh so many reasons. Please, if we are into saving this planet, let us not focus on one plant that fits ''all'' the criteria and we can get ''blown way'' by smoking it... That would be so anti-productive and by smoking this plant and decrying its panacea qualites, you are lining the pockets of international business and, by default, supporting them...... Strange stuff...... Maybe I should smoke some.

Just MHO..

cheers,