hens wont start to lay

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by stephanieinnsw, Apr 6, 2007.

1. stephanieinnsw

stephanieinnsw New Member

Newbie needs help.
    We bought our pullets at approx 8 - 12 weeks at the beginning of October (spring) and they still wont lay! Yes they are female.
    We have added some younger pullets to the house at New Year.
    any ideas???

2. bill

bill Junior Member

Hi Steph. I think patience will fix your problem. When you think about it they are not that overdue. If you got them late Oct then you have had them less than six months. Point of lay is around 6 months but it varies with the type of chook I think. If they were 8 weeks then they may only be 6 weeks late. Is there a possibility they were younger than 8 weeks?

It always seems to take for ever and then all of a sudden you have more eggs than you can use. Are you having hot weather at the moment.

My wife just asked me to add "make sure they have enough protien" (she spoils our choooks).

3. sammiiz

sammiiz Junior Member

Hi Steph,

I agree with Bill, your pullets are still technically point of lay... breeds and birds themselves vary greatly. What breeds do you have?

Do make sure they have enough protein.

If they are moulting, many chooks go off the lay in the moult.

Many chooks go off, or at least slow down for the cooler weather too.

So a chook that hits point of lay, during a moult, and cooler weather, is going to take longer.
    One of my girls is doing just that... annoying, but just be patient.

You should be able to tell when they are coming in to lay, as their comb and wattles will go a nice deep red, and their bums should be nice and fluffy and plump :lol:

Good luck, and happy waiting!

4. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

steph,

Patience required. As they are point-of-lay they will lay through the winter, once they start.

An excellent companion plant for chooks is rocket. This herb seems to have a remarkable effect on chooks and I have seen old chooks [retirees] start to lay again after being given rocket.

Shell grit is needed or a calcium source and also a tiny sprinkle of epsom salts in their feed occasionally helps.

If the protein is right, something to consider, especially point of lay pullets at this time of year need access to daylight. Is their pen in a dark corner. Commercial farmers uses artificial lighting to assist this.

If you bought them at the start of October they should be laying by now.

Lastly, make sure the eggs are not being eaten by something else.

floot

5. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

our chooks yet begun to lay less - it's autumn!