So there's a scientific reason gardening makes us happy!

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Jim Bob, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior Member

From the BBC

Dirt exposure 'boosts happiness'

Exposure to dirt may be a way to lift mood as well as boost the immune system, UK scientists say.

Lung cancer patients treated with "friendly" bacteria normally found in the soil have anecdotally reported improvements in their quality of life.

Mice exposed to the same bacteria made more of the brain's "happy" chemical serotonin, the Bristol University authors told the journal Neuroscience.

Common antidepressants work by boosting this brain chemical.

Dirty play

A lack of serotonin is linked with depression in people.

The scientists say more work is now needed to determine if the bacterium Mycobacterium vaccae has antidepressant properties through activation of serotonin neurons.

Lead researcher Dr Chris Lowry said: "These studies help us understand how the body communicates with the brain and why a healthy immune system is important for maintaining mental health.

"They also leave us wondering if we shouldn't all spend more time playing in the dirt."

The work could also help experts' understanding of why an imbalance in the immune system leaves some individuals vulnerable to mood disorders like depression, he added.

Mood and immunity

Canadian researchers have also been exploring the links between serotonin, mood and immunity.

A team at Georgetown University Medical Center recently discovered serotonin is passed between key cells in the immune system, and that the chemical can activate an immune response.

This suggests that serotonin may restore a healthy immune function in people who are depressed and prone to infections.

On the flip side, it is also possible that serotonin, and serotonin-boosting antidepressants, end up bolstering immunity to the point that they trigger autoimmune disease where the body attacks itself.

Gerard Ahern, lead researcher on the study, explained: "At this point we just don't know how these drugs might affect immunity, so we really need to clarify the normal role of serotonin in immune cell functioning."

2. richard in manoa

richard in manoa Junior Member

That makes a lot of sense. The guy I just finished working with calls it "horticulture therapy". Works for me... :D

3. gg

gg Junior Member

I knew there was a reason i liked muddling in the dirt. Don't forget the beneficial effects of sunlight on the system and talking and singing to the animals and plants. I know, I know, already...I'm considered eccentric. 8)

4. sammiiz

sammiiz Junior Member

I would have to agree wth gg, that though i do not doubt for a second, the finding of good bacteria in dirt etc etc... for me i would say a lot of gardening, has to do with just being outside, in natural light, open fresh air, the presence of other animals (be they anything from dog, cat, bird to insect; wild or domestic)...

and it is as much what you are surrounded by in the garden, as what you are NOT.
    ie - away from tvs, pcs, phones, electrical appliances in general, there are generally not a lot of people, little to no articial lighting, chemicals..

Not to mention the fact that even just watering the plants, or picking a flower is physical activity - easily beneficial.

So with all that in mind, i think the finding that there is good stuff in dirt, is really just a bonus to all the other great things about getting out in the garden and getting our hands dirty. :)

5. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior Member

I think it might have worked for this bloke, too.

Gardener downs his tools at 104

[​IMG]

A gardener has decided to down tools on his working life at the age of 104.

Jim Webber has been working the land in Dorset for 93 years, without taking holidays, but arthritis has forced him to retire.

Mr Webber told BBC news: "I'd do about 10 minutes and have to sit down - I couldn't carry on. That wasn't fair for the people I was working for."

The keen gardener, from Stoke Abbott, said he now planned to focus on his own garden and sell some of his produce.

Mr Webber said: "I haven't got a big wage now coming in, do you see - I've only got old age pension, so I'll try and sell a bit."

Born on Christmas Eve 1902, Mr Webber began his career as a farm labourer in Dorset, and won prizes for ploughing.

In gardening, he worked with his brother Jack, until he died at the age of 95 in July last year.

His daughter, Kathleen, 68, now helps him with his home garden.

Bit of medicine

Mr Webber carried out hedging, mowed lawns and other gardening jobs for residents of Stoke Abbott, as well as mowing the lawn of the local pub, the New Inn.

Richard Ward, landlord at the New Inn, said: "The only reason he's retired is he can't get up on his tractor to bring the lawnmower down.

"He's amazing, a really amazing character."

Mr Ward's partner, Mary Shiels, added: "We inherited him [Mr Webber] with the pub, he'd come around and do whatever he felt needed to be done.

"He was disappointed to let us down, but it was time enough really - a well deserved rest."

Mr Webber said he had never taken a break: "I've never fancied a holiday, never fancied one.

"I'd rather stay and knock about at home or whatever than go on holiday."

He puts his longevity down to having "plenty to do and being interested in it" - as well as a bit of his "medicine" - whisky.

Okay, it might have been the grog, but I reckon it was the gardening. Note that he'll stil be doing some paid work, selling his vegies.

There's a little vid at the original link, you can see him pottering around.

6. Jez

Jez Junior Member

That's a great story - thanks JB. :D

7. gg

gg Junior Member

What a wqonderful man he is and I believe proof of what doing what he loves and being hardworking and on the land has done and can do for others.
    My ancestors too worked the land up until the last generation or so anyway. they all made it into their late nineties. They all enjoyed medicinals like whisky too. LOL

8. heuristics

heuristics Junior Member

peter Cundall, presenter of Gardening Australia, has only just turned 80 - he's only a wet behind the ears young whippersnapper, obviously!.

9. gg

gg Junior Member

Gosh sammitz, i keep coming back again and again to this statement and thinking you are SOOOOOOOO right! I mean I imagine that many if not most of the people at this board are too busy or discerning to get involved with all these electrical gadgets. Just like the GM's, cloning et al, we really have no idea of the long range effects of these things. I do not own a microwave, a cell phone, cordless phone. I do own this computer though, (i placed a large amethyst crystal by it, some say it helps to distintigrate the waves or something to that effect) and a tv to watch movies, but I am not connected to the tv cable system.

Also where I work is filled with flourescent lighting and I have noticed that we all feel much better when I put the lights out and we work by natural window light. Fewer headaches and eye aches and better concentration. Flourecsent lighting seems to aggravate attention and hyper activiity disorders. ( I am a teacher, so I see a lot of this stuff in today's young people.)

Anyway great thoughts all of you on this board. Again, I am so glad to have found you. gg

10. Jez

Jez Junior Member

:lol:

I'd be backing ol' Pete to be still going strong 10-20 years from now Heuro.

He's as strong as an ox and as inspired and inspiring to a level of few people I've ever known. Occasionally you feel like shouting 'No Pete!' at some of his methods, but he has a heart of gold and 95% of what he does is damn good value.