Austrian Scythes

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by macthedog, Mar 29, 2007.

1. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

I'm looking at getting a scythe to use instead of the slashers and mowers on some areas of my place (e.g. in the fledgling orchard where I can't run animals yet).

I'm still researching at the minute and the Austrian scythe looks liek the way to go.
    Has anyone got an Austrian scythe / used one / know much about them ?

Bernie

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Bernie,

As a kid I had to cut grass etc for the chooks and used some hedge trimmer things. Someone felt sorry for me and gave me a scythe, which was a lot of fun for a 6yo... maybe I was too small ... I ended up going back to the secateurs. Occasionally an adult would give me a demonstration and I did see my dad mow the lawn with it one day for a bit of fun.

here's a link i found with some good video on it. https://www.scytheconnection.com/adp/video/index.html

The only 'good' thing about scythes is that I believe they may still be readily available if you have a look at local farm sales. Scythes have long blades and because of this were always stored hung up and out of the way. This has meant that many are still in good working condition.

If you list as wanted on ebay I am sure you will get a local reply.

floot

3. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

Thanks Floot.

Yeah, I've spent a bit of time on the website you linked and on one in the UK as well. It's d*** expensive to get one sent over from US or UK though.
    I hadn't thought of ebay, but have just done a search and there is indeed one for sale in Sydney so I will do a little more looking there and will continue checking out the local sales & farm auctions.

From what I've seen & read it is a great tool in the right hands, if properly adjusted and sharp etc. I heard of an old fella who used to cut the local bowling green with his scythe !

The bloke at scythe connection has a lot to say about fitting the blade and the handle correctly so that should come in useful with a 2nd hand one as well.

I'll keep on looking

Bernie

4. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

5. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

Thanks for that Floot. Unfortunately the scythes are both pick up only and one is in Adelaide, the other in Sydney ... guess I'll keep on looking.

6. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Could you get a freight company to handle the pickup for you mac?

7. bill

bill Junior Member

The pickup condition may keep the auction price down enough to cover the cost of a courier pick up.

8. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

Good idea - I was even thinking of getting a mate to pick it up in Sydney and then either send it on or pick it up next time I go to Sydney (though when that would be I don't know .....)

9. Paul Lehmann

Paul Lehmann Junior Member

Source

Bernie,
    I'm currently living and working in the Ukraine where locally made hammer sharpened scythes are commonplace. I bought a snath and two blades, a hammer and anvil for sharpening, whetstone and holder, all for US$75 last year and took them back to Tassie. I intend to pick up another couple of blades before I come back for my annual vacation in a couple of weeks.
    I know you were asking about Austrian scythes and these are not, but I'm not sure how important place of manufacture is to you. Here, these locally manufactured ones are used every day. They have a straight snath, usually somewhat decorated. Some have two grips, others only one, dependng on region.
    They have both hammer-and-anvil style and others for sharpenin with a file.
    I don't intend picking up another snath, as they are a pain to get home, especially with increasingly stringent baggage restrictions.
    As a matter of interest, on a related topic, I worked for 5 years in El Salvador prior to coming here, and was able to source some brilliant machetes for US$8-20, depending on length and quality.

10. katrina

katrina Junior Member

austrian scythes

my dad has one and recently my hubby got into the dam , wetsuit on, with the scythe to cut the water weeds from underneath. use a flowing motion from in front of you. looked scary to me, but he said it was ok
    dad brought the scythe over as hand luggage in the eighties.
    and he regularly uses it to cut grass for the steers.
    the water weeds went onto the awesomest compost pile, along with steer manure etc.
    the steers got to eat some of the weed and loved it so much dad had to build a separate fence for the stuff
    indonesians also use similar scythes
    good luck
    kat

11. daisy_dukers

daisy_dukers Guest

I bought an Austrian Scythe and it is a great tool. Took a bit of practice to get the swinging motion correct but with a bit of practice it becomes fairly easy and isnt all that labour intensive. Mine has an aluminum handle and came with a pouch and whetstone for sharpening.
    It came to around $120 cdn, and I picked it up from a local shop that sells specialty gardening and woodworking supplies.