sustainable textiles

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by digging, Mar 14, 2007.

1. digging

digging Junior Member

Greetings everyone!

In my thinking of local cummunity sustainablity I have begun to wonder about textiles. It is a lesser need and right now we totally over use and waste clothing. There is so much that can be recycled and I'm sure for many years that will help fill the need, however new textiles will be needed. So how can we do this? What level of clothing needs are truly 'sustainable'? Wool, hides, skins, jute, cotton???? what do you think??

Digging

2. MonteGoulding

MonteGoulding Junior Member

Hi

I think you need to separate animal and plant sources in an analysis. Animal sources will be available simply as a result of sustainable meat harvest (you need to do something with your spare milking goats/cows) Better options would be to breed angora goats for milking, meat, skins and fibre.

For plant fibre there are much more sustainable options than cotton. New Zealand Flax is a good option given we aren't allowed to grow Hemp.

The processing of fibre doesn't seem to be all that complex but there's a certain level of skill and technology in hand spinning and weaving that needs to perhaps be redeveloped. We recently were given a spinning wheel and my wife who knits is interested to use it but buggered if we know how. I can't build up any kind of spin on the thing.

Cheers

Monte

3. digging

digging Junior Member

Yes,

The challenge is the skill involved with the making of fabric and even tanning of hides. I'm in Canada and we can grow hemp, however I have never been taught or even seen how one goes about havesting fiber and transforming it into anything!

Digging

4. Jim Bob

Jim Bob Junior Member

A good book which covers wool-spinning, dealing with flax and other similar things is The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency, by John Seymour. In the last few years republished as The NEW Complete Book...

It will give you the basic ideas of these things, and from there with effort and practice you can improve your techniques and teach yourselves tricks. Of course this will be a slower process than if you have someone teach you, but slow progress is better than none....!

5. MonteGoulding

Ah... I had a look at that at a book store a while back and would have got it if it wasn't for the $70 price tag. Would be very handy to have around. I guess the info within would have incomparably higher value than the $70 of hard earned petrodollars.

Cheers

Monte

6. digging

digging Junior Member

I have the book,

I don't recall it going into great detail explain how to extract the fibers from plant sources in detail. I think for this subject something much more specific might be needed?

Digging

7. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

do you really want ot make your own textiles from scratch? I cannot imagine. However as a small industry yes but not for making clothes for yourself and your family.
    Linen is very sustainable I think, and nettle fibres.

At the moment the problem is about fadhions and about quality of the clothes or even the fabrics

8. digging

digging Junior Member

I'm not saying I want to!

I've just been thinking how that is also part of the big picture of sustainablity and that much damage is done now because of textile farming.

Digging

9. MonteGoulding

Actually it's a very worthwhile topic to consider.

I think those in the know about energy depletion could do well to consider the traditional long distance trade items.
    Dry foods in particular salt, spices and sugar
    Fibre products like rope and fabric
    Vegatable oils
    Alcohol and vinegar.

I'm sure there are others.

By producing abundance in one or more of these products you not only cover yourselves for their use but gain bargaining power for things that are hard or impossible to produce in your region.

Cheers

Monte

10. permajake

permajake Junior Member

I thought this was pretty neat, and sorta related...

Yvon Chouinard talks about the challenges of producing durable, quality clothing in his book Let My People Go Surfing.

Some of the interesting points:
    - post-consumer recycled clothing made from old soda bottles.
    - clothing recycling, turn old threads into new ones.
    - 1% for the planet (program for local environmental activism)
    - Recognizing and accounting for the damage, energy and resources used in the full lifecycle of its products (including transportation).

Besides the clothing recycling program, there was another idea which comes up. Basically, the gear comes with a guarantee that if it falls apart, frays, or fails, you can return it and get a replacement for free. As a consumer, this seems just dandy. As a producer, the guarantee creates a challenge. If the garment sucks and they wind up having to replace a whole bunch, it would be pretty expensive for them. So with the rift between economic and ecological concerns beginning to be bridged, they work to create the most reliable, best quality product that wont wind up back in their factory or in a bin or dump.

A money-making company was economically and ecologically aware, making waves and perhaps just a bit closer.

11. digging

digging Junior Member

I lived with my Grandmother for a while, and I'm very glad that I did. I remember one of the main things she saved was textiles, she would take apart old sweaters and save every bit of clothing. She would always pick up clothes that were in the garbage. I remember she even patched her dish rags! She would even save the thread out of garments! She know everything about wool I remember watching her comb wool.

So it would seem that traditionally clothing was a serious concern and far more valuable. Since oil has taken over that art of textiles by common folk seems to be almost lost? I've been considering two animals, rabbbits for the meat and the hides, and Icelandic sheep, since they will also produce milk and wool and meat and hides.

When we hear about how animal take up so much more energy and how many believe we should eat less meat, I wonder if we consider the textile factor into animal keeping it might balance out better??

I seriously also want to learn about hemp because I was told it has super long lasting fibers, I can grow hemp here in Canada.

Digging

12. digging

digging Junior Member

13. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Grow your own hemp..

When you outgrow it you can recycle some hemp strains..

Smoke it. 8) 8) 8)

Tezza

14. MonteGoulding

Clothing, staple foods, water and shelter are all things that we take for granted and will be seriously impaired by energy depletion. Clothing and shelter probably the least critical in a shock scenario but long term it won't be easy.

We have an anogora rabbit which needs to be shorn every three months. You can get angora goats too which would be a very good combo.

Cheers

Monte

15. digging

digging Junior Member

Regarding your rabbit,

Do you cut the fur or do you pull it off??

Of late everyone is teasing me asking "what Do you smoke?" The truth is I don't smoke anything I just love life and gardening! It's the best high of all!

Digging

16. Karen Mary

Karen Mary New Member

Spinning Wheel

We recently were given a spinning wheel and my wife who knits is interested to use it but buggered if we know how. I can't build up any kind of spin on the thing.

Hi Monte,

You could try books on handspinning from your local library or look for your local handspinners group (they are dotted all around the country and are very sociable and helpful). Good luck.

Karen Mary