broody chooks and day old chicks ??

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by damien, Mar 7, 2007.

1. damien

damien Junior Member

Hi All,

Calling all chicken sensei's ;-)

I've got a broody chook (no rooster) trying to hatch her infertile eggs.
    Only one other hen in the enclosure. She has never raised chicks before and was farm raised herself. She is an Isa Brown.

I'm thinking of raising some chicks. If I buy day old female vaxinated chicks, then creep out at night and put them under my broody hen, is there a good chance she will raise them ?
    Or will she just ignore them ? Will the other hen attack my day olds ?
    Should I put a electric bulb into the hen house to keep the chicks warm
    or will the hen take care of warmth ?

Would I be better getting fertile eggs and putting them under her ?
    (then culling the roosters ?)

Cheers

Damien

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Damien,

I am pretty certain you can do it with day-olds, just dont handle them. I would also be tempted to leave the other eggs under her and make the nest box area artificially dark.

I havent done this, I have substituted eggs and chickens but not introduced chickens from elsewhere although I do remember a hatchery telling me this was possible. I carted a few boxes of day-olds for a hatchery near Darwin.

The other chook wont attack the chickens but the broody will certainly harrass the other adult chook if the area is too small.

If you are calling a hatchery they may give you some eggs at point of hatching.

3. Susan

Susan Junior Member

Broody hen

Hi Damien,
    I have tried both ways and had success.
    I think I would go for the day old chicks (sexed or unsexed) only because they are already viable. I know from sad experience you 'do not count your chicken before they hatch'. The normal mortality rate is against you.
    Having said that - mother hen can just as easily tread on a chick and kill it by accident.
    Either way have a shallow water dish, they drown so easily
    Good luck
    Susan

4. damien

damien Junior Member

Thanks for your advice floot and Susan,

I've booked into pickup my day old chicks in 2 weeks time.
    Hopefully my broody chook will stay broody till then.

Will post how it goes.

Cheers

Damien

5. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

PLEASE post your results! I was just thinking of doing this myself. I have four Buff Orps and have considered getting a few more. I have one girl who is almost always broody. I think it is her mission in life. :lol:

Question: If this succeeds, does one make a place on the ground for the hen and the chicks? My girls have nest boxes 18" from the ground, and a straw on the ground. What is best?

Sue

6. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hiya

Chicks under mum is an idea that should only be considered if you have a back up heating sorce JUST incase they get rejected in any way shape or form.

Sue put nesting Boxes on the floor a chick will either break its leg jumping down or die because it cant get back into its nest.

Chicks need carefull treatment in most cases,its not just grabbing 1day olds
    and chucking them under mum....what if she stops being clucky just before u get the babies....

Dont let me scare you..
    Leaving them to do it naturaly is far easier,borrow a rooster or some fertile eggs,

Tezza

7. Ramon

Ramon Junior Member

I've had silkie bantams take up to 10 day old chicks and even extra ones when leading a few already. They haven't rejected them (tried 3 times so far). I always slipped the chicks in at night and kept an eye on them for a few days. The first 2 times I kept them inside in a box (fun to watch), but the last time I just put them under. They also seem to be colour blind.

8. damien

damien Junior Member

It worked. broody took on chicks.

I snuck out at night and slipped the 8 chicks next to the hen after picking her up and taking her eggs.

The chicks all ran straight to her (they new what was good for them).
    She has taken on motherly duties, taking the chicks to food and defending them (mainly against me!)

I had to segregate my other chook who was pecking at the chicks
    (she is an ex battery hen, so may not be very good at socializing. although she is de-beaked).

Cheers

Damien

9. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Aint that a good news story to brighten up a dull day

Well done and good luck

Tezza