tassie anyone?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by teela, Mar 3, 2007.

1. teela

teela Junior Member

Hi Kathleen,
    You're soooo lucky to be there and to see it in all its beauty for real rather than on TV or the internet.
    I'm still stuck here waiting for my place to sell.
    Once I do sell, I would be very carefull where I buy in Tassie because I don't wanna be any where near the proposed pulp mill. I've heard of a few different places it might be going and until it's set in stone as to where it's going and even if it's going ahead at all I'd be a very nervous buyer. Imagine buying you piece of paradise only to find a few months down the track that the paper mill might be built close by.
    I know there's a huge amount of people who think the pulp mill will be a good thing for Tassie and thats fine, they can have their own opinion. I however think it will be a bad thing for Tassie, in fact it's made me go a little cold on the Tassie dream. I wanted to live in a clean, green environment, and breath the worlds cleanest air, that was all part of the appeal of Tassie.
    I'll bide my time here and wait it out and see what developes on the pulp mill issue.

Cheers

Teela

2. Jez

Jez Junior Member

There's lots of other parts of Tassie that have a messed up environment too...like all States, some parts are relatively pristine, others are certainly not.

The Derwent is virtually dead, 30-40 years ago you could swim in the Tamar and eat the fish out of it...no way you'd do that now - and that's before the pulp mill. Much of the West Coast suffers from acid mine drainage and astronomical levels of heavy metals in some rivers (which flow directly into where the 'pristine Tassie salmon' is farmed) - and these problems are not uncommon elsewhere in the State in isolated spots.

Many inland rivers in agricultural areas get the same pesticide and fertiliser runoff that happens everywhere else. Air quality is disgraceful in some areas because of wood smoke and/or industry.

The only thing anyone wanted from Tassie for most of its history was raw resources and big ag produce...all as cheaply as possible, with the environmental degradation which typically accompanies that mentality.

I really wish all you folks the very best with your moves, there's some lovely places down there, but be careful...don't buy into illusions about a pristine environment which don't fit the reality in many places.

3. MonteGoulding

MonteGoulding Junior Member

Well the house sale is still running smoothly. Settlement shoud be the 5th of Oct. We are flying down to Tas for a week from the 4th to check out some properties we like the look of. Who wants to meet at the Geeveston bakery for an apple and custard tart?

4. MonteGoulding

Hey Folks

We settled our rental place, signed a contract on a 23 acre hillside property, signed Georgia up for school, got a post box, sorted out internet access options, opened an account at the Bendigo community bank brach, discussed our house with a strawbale builder and had lots of pies at the Geeveston Bakery ;-)

BTW Where did you buy in Geeveston bovine? Our place is on Donnellys Road.

Cheers

Monte

5. teela

teela Junior Member

Congratulations Monte. It's fantastic that you can start a new life in Tassie. I hope you and your family enjoy the adventure. Where is your 23 acres? Did it have a house or are you building? Got photos of the place?

6. MonteGoulding

Hey teela

There's some pics on our blog:
    https://gettingdowntoearth.blogspot.com

There's no house yet but there's a shipping container attached to a cold store that has been roughly setup. Someone has been living there but the place will need some work if we are going to stay there with two kids.

Cheers

Monte

7. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Best of luck with it Monty, I hope you're all very happy down there. :thumbright:

8. MonteGoulding

Hey... here's my first design for our place. Just dreaming really at this stage but it's fun to get some stuff down on paper ;-)

[​IMG]

Cheers

Monte

9. MonteGoulding

We've booked our tickets on the boat! we decided to bring in the new year on the block so we booked for the 30th of December. Hope we are ready to go by then ;-)

Cheers

Monte

10. MonteGoulding

Ugh! Absolutely pooped but it will all be worth it I hope. We've been madly getting the house ready to sell and packing things. The shipping container is coming on the 27th and leaving the next day we will be handing the house keys to the agent on the 29th. Then drive to Melbourne with two kids a dog and cat in the car and sleep on the boat. Drive to Geeveston on the morning of the 31st (my birthday). Setup the tent then pop the cork!

BTW for anyone interested we are paying 2k for the container and 3k for moving it from Adelaide to Geeveston +GST.

11. ljmorrison

ljmorrison Junior Member

Ugh! I'm so jealous! We have our place on the market at the moment, waiting for a sale so we can move to tas and feed ourselves too! Is there always this flow of people moving down to tas, or is it just now? Everywhere I look there seems to be someone moving to tassie lately. Maybe it's just because that's our plan that i'm noticing it?
    We have a gorgeous place here, a beautiful strawbale home and a small land for wildlife acreage, but if we stay, we'll be stuck in jobs that we don't love, and in a lifestyle that is dictated by interest rates and The Bank (aka The Man :lol: ).
    All of our thoughts and discusions seem to revolve around tassie, and our dream farm down there, and the beautiful cold beaches and weather! It's been very frustrating just waiting here while our dreams have already landed on the tassie shores! We're learning patience!
    I read through some of the earlier discussions on this subject, and it was great to hear about some of the downsides to tassie, to keep our feet on the ground a bit, I guess.
    So how is Geeveston? I remember it's a pretty little town, what's it like to live in? I've been thinking of Cygnet as a good area, and Gardener's Bay nearby ~ what do you think?
    I'd love to hear everyone's impressions of tas.
    Kindest Regards,
    Leanne

12. MonteGoulding

Well, we've been living here for about a month now and it's a fantastic adventure. Not everything goes perfectly but that's just life. We've met some lovely people from the local area. We are quite glad we chose Geeveston as it has a very nice feel. It's also more reasonably priced because of the lack of water views. I don't mind looking at mountains and trees ;-)

If you think you need water views then I'd go for Franklin. It's a lovely spot and a regular market has just started there. Amazingly we went to the permie stand at the market and met someone from a close suburb in Adelaide that has moved down to build on some land just around the corner from us here. We've also met Linda Cockburn https://www.lintrezza.com/ and know of some others moving to Geeveston from Perth so there's definitely people mvoing in.

Cygnet seems to have been the go-to town for a while but it's quite a bit more expensive and we got considerably more for our limited budget where we are.

Cheers

Monte

13. franko

franko New Member

Welcome to Tassie Monte! :) I'm a native, have just joined the forums and noticed your thread. You've chosen a really beautiful part of the state. My fiancee and I are currently looking for land to build our home - we'd love to buy down that way but unfortunately the commute to Lenah Valley where we work rules it out. I've also just begun down the permaculture path having read a lot about it before but never delved into the details. Well now I've got myself a copy of Bill's designers manual and plan to study intensely to help with our plans for a house and productive garden!

14. MonteGoulding

Hey Franko

Apparently people do commute from here into Hobart but I wouldn't want to be so reliant on the car myself. I guess if you both work at the same place at least you could use only one car. Unfortunately the other side of Hobart aint so pretty and if you stay fairly close to town you could end up having Glenorchy urban sprawl around you in a few years if peak oil comes later than predicted. All the best with whatever you do.

Cheers

Monte

15. lizzi

lizzi New Member

16. MonteGoulding

There are few places left in the world that are unharmed by industry in some way.

17. topsy99

topsy99 New Member

not a joke

tasmania is wonderful. to say its image is a joke sounds like its from someone who hasnt been here.
    tasmania is a mining, forestry, orcharding and aquaculture state and has survived for 200 years on primary industry.
    it has a population of nearly 500k who need to work and pay their own way. considering all this it is quite remarkable healthy condition.

those lucky enough to live here appreciate it.
    I hope those who question its image check it out sometime. its really great down here.

18. lizzi

lizzi New Member

You are right, there are few places left in the world that are unharmed by industry in some way. I think that it is a very sad situation

I guess I really didn’t make myself very clear in the last post.
    To clarify… Tasmania is an extraordinary land, its remoteness, its wildness, its unique natural world make it priceless.

Until this year we have been lucky enough to visit Tasmania at least twice a year for more than a decade. In these visits I have seen some of the most breathtakingly beautiful places… exotic rainforest trees such as myrtle, sassafras, leatherwood and celery-top pine - extraordinary, exquisite trees, many centuries old, unique wildlife, rugged coastlines all so stunningly gorgeous that my words and not even the photograph collection don’t do it justice.

I have seen for myself the hellish landscape that results from clearfelling. The whole area is as the name implies is completely and utterly cleared, before being torched, the firing started by helicopters dropping jellied petroleum, commonly known as napalm. The resulting fire is so ferocious it produces mushroom clouds visible from considerable distances. Every autumn, the island's otherwise most beautiful season, china-blue skies are frequently nicotine-scummed, an inescapable reminder that clearfelling means the total destruction of ancient and unique forests.

I have also seen the large monoculture plantations of Radiata Pine and Eucalyptus nitens, sustainable due to a heavy program of fertilisers and pesticides… 1080, Glyphosate, Oust, Simazine, Verdict, Lontrel (clopyralid, which is chemically related to 2-4-D and picloram), EucMix, Brushoff, Dominex, Dimethoate, Atrazine, are just some of the chemicals used.

Tasmania’s aquaculture industries rely on their international reputation for high quality seafood sourced from the cleanest oceans in the world. Similarly the wineries and other primary producers and tourism operators rely on the same clean, green image.

The Tasmanian Government advertises and trades Tasmania and the Tasmanian Brand as the Clean Green Natural State keeping the truth hidden behind the thin rows of trees (or propaganda strips) they don't cut down in order to conceal the vandalism and disgrace. Visitors are being tricked into believing this Tasmanian Government propaganda, which conceals its devastating and delinquent Forestry Practices such as native Old Growth Forest genocide, native wildlife poisoning and resulting water degradation and contamination.

I could go on but I have the impression it would be a “waste of breath”

19. MonteGoulding

I agree with you. It's a very sad situation. I wasn't being dismissive. I was simply saying that these problems are everywhere. The contrast here between industry and nature is very strong.

20. topsy99

topsy99 New Member

No. not necessarily. but it seems that whenever or wherever someone has something good or positive to say there is always someone there to tear it down.
    whether or not we agree or disagree with government policies etc. is it appropriate to put a tirade on a friendly forum?

I was interested in this forum because Monte was enthusiastic and optimistic about his move to Tasmania.
    Lecturing people with "Green philosophies: is not helpful.

Good luck Monte. I wont be visiting this forum again.