tassie anyone?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by teela, Mar 3, 2007.

1. teela

teela Junior Member

Great stuff Bovine, we have no such luck, things are a bit slow in the real-estate market here.
    When it comes to selling privately yes it's very hard, there are too many different do-it-yourself type web sites out there for private sales. It needs just one or two like property.com. At the moment I have at least 5 different private sales websites bookmarked, it takes way too much time to go through them all, so I hardly look at them any more. I think if I feel that way so must every other potential buyer.
    Stuff it I've caved! I've got an agent from Elders coming out to my place this arvo.
    Coz I'm dreamin, Dreamin bout gettin gone!

2. MonteGoulding

MonteGoulding Junior Member

My agent quoted us 2%+GST +advertising which I didn't think was too bad considering he marketing and contacts would probably pay for itself. We got her down to 1.75% anyway ;-)

Bovine I'd seen that orchard but can't tell from the internet if it's all apples or some bush and pasture too. I'm surprised they didn't say exactly what number of trees and varieties because if you're buying an orchard you would want to know that!

Here's some places I thought looked reasonable in the highlands:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-b...eader=&c=73069186&s=tas&snf=rbs&tm=1186103006

https://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-b...eader=&c=73069186&s=tas&snf=rbs&tm=1186103006

Cheers

Monte

3. MonteGoulding

4. teela

teela Junior Member

Hey all you Tassie people in the know, I started looking at real-estate in the Sheffield area, it looks really nice, with views of Mt Roland ect. Does anyone know what this area is like to live in?
    Yeah yeah I know I gotta git myself over there and see for myself, but until my house/block here sells I'm stuck here.
    What areas should be avoided? and where are the rain shadows?
    I need to be close to schools ect.
    Seeya
    Teela

5. MonteGoulding

Hi Teela

I've had a beer at the pub but that's all I can remember ;-)

We need to think of schools too. It seems there's schooling just about everywhere until year 10 then it's quite restricted. If we end up living near several like minded families Rebecca (high school english teacher) has contemplated setting up a sort of community school where parents are involved. I imagine it's a model that would work well post peak.

Cheers

Monte

6. Jez

Jez Junior Member

It's all very much down to individual taste teela.

I think the Sheffield area is quite nice - a place (not even a town) close by called Paradise is some of the most beautiful country around the area and I know there's some relatively affordable properties around there (maybe one you are looking at?). Gowrie Park is right at the foot of Mt Roland...that's an old hydro village long gone, but there's still some properties around there and a few houses IIRC.

There is a primary and high school in Sheffield - the town itself is known as the town of murals...murals everywhere. Jo Bjelke Peterson wanted to buy the whole town after he retired from being the QLD premier...he died down there as far as I know.

The closer you are to the foot of Mt Roland, the colder it gets - down to very cold right at the foot, heavy frosts and some snow. The weather moves down the valleys surrounding the mountain and it's generally a fairly high rainfall area.

The closest city is Devonport, but Launceston is still quite close - either is commutable...depending of course on your definition of commutable. Deloraine and a lot of nice small towns are around the area, plus the Cradle Mountain area is quite close. Mt Roland itself is very beautiful IMO.

I've not owned land in the area and only travelled through, but there's some excellent pasture in the area and plenty of forest - though like much of Tassie, some of it is plantation - so as far as soil quality and water goes you'd be pretty right (as a generalisation), but it's colder than the coastal areas and you will have some heavy frosts (at the least) out that way.

7. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

Hi Teela,

I don't know the Sheffield area well as I tend to just pass through on the way to/from somewhere else. It is beautiful countryside, and as Jez mentioned it does get a fair amount of rain and severe frosts. And last summer bushfires as well. (Got to love an area that includes Paradise, Promised Land, Garden of Eden and Nowhere Else).

Mt Roland is pretty magnificent in my opinion. It is known for it's energetic and/or paramagnetic qualities and has significance in local Aboriginal heritage (as does the nearby Quamby Bluff).
    There is an organic beef farm near Sheffield (Mt Roland Organics) that recently changed hands. The new owners moved from the mainland and might be worth talking to about their experiences.
    It looks like their website still has the old contact details. But I've just seen an entry on the WOOF website that looks like the new owners - could be worth a discussion or a visit ?
    https://wwoof.com.au/mainforum/inde...4f0c3&showtopic=8673&pid=8677&st=0&#entry8677

8. bovine_blue

bovine_blue Junior Member

Any luck with the sale yet teela?

9. MonteGoulding

Our latest plan is to try and get a rental place in Jan with a plan to be there for at least a year while we buy and develop some land. It's all seeming a bit too difficult to buy land before we go and then live in a shappy shack or caravan until we build. We are back to thinking
    of the Huon Valley and Geeveston area in particular.

Cheers

Monte

10. teela

teela Junior Member

Hows the house selling going Monte? My agent quoted 3.5% plus gst so your 2% + gst aint too bad.
    Alow me to have a grizzle:
    I've so had it with agents, they come in, look around and say they will get the ball rolling then dissapear for a week. I have to keep phoning them "where are you" ect Grrrrrrrrr I was hoping to get some ads in papers this week and on the internet but now it's too late ...again! And yet another week goes by and I'm still here. There's not even a sign out front yet. I'll be here till I'm a 100 years old at this rate. Tassie will float away before I get there.
    End of grizzle.

11. MonteGoulding

Hi Teela

In our recent past my wife and I were part of the blind consuming masses that mortgage themselves beyond their means wait for property prices to go up and then do it again to get a rental and so on. In the past 18 months our lives have turned around and what was once sensible and smart is now dumb and disgusting. So to cut a long story short our rental townhouse will be on the market in early September and our place will be on the market a by early December I hope.

Cheers

Monte

12. bovine_blue

If you end up near Geeveston you will have to give me a shout Monte. Likewise if you need anything checked out in the area, rental property etc just send me a PM (once we get hooked up to the net over there).

Stick with it Teela. Just hope that your agent is out working hard for their other clients and that you will get the same attention when all of the advertising is completed.

A nice 30 acres with dam and house near Cygnet.

https://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-b...eader=&c=72725681&s=tas&snf=rbs&tm=1187932786

13. MonteGoulding

14. bovine_blue

That looks pretty good Monte.

I'll keep an eye out as I'm sure we will head down to the airwalk at some stage.

15. teela

teela Junior Member

Hey Bovine that place on 30 acres looks good, so I added it to my not so short shortlist. Only thing is it looks a bit of a bush fire risk.
    What is the airwalk? Is it some sort of suspended rain forest walk like near Cairns?

16. bovine_blue

17. MonteGoulding

Ok, looks like we have sold our townhouse so we are one step closer to the dream. It's very nerve racking waiting for cooling off top end though.

Cheers

Monte

18. teela

teela Junior Member

Onya Monte! Hope you got a good price for it. The cooling off period is a nerve racking time I agree. Personally I don't know why we have it, it's a dumb idea.

19. MonteGoulding

Yeah, midnight Monday here we come. Then it's a toss up between racing down and picking up one of the blocks I've seen on the net or just looking once we are there.

Cheers

Monte

20. kathleenmc

kathleenmc Junior Member

Hi taswegian wannabes....I'm on a working holiday here

https://www.atikarea.com

It's in Devonport...it's amazing here in Tas...it is sooooo very green...a lovely blue green as opposed to the limey-yellow tint we get with kykuyu in my area of south coast NSW. It's a tad colder and definitely anglisied to a point of really too much for the 'mother country' but that means gorgeous little (and big) old houses in just about every town and valley....the rolling hills and the water in the dams over flowing!

One thing that is going on here is that farmers are selling up to Gunns forestry because their kids no longer want to be farmers, so they're all retiring to the towns and the pulp mill guys are planting pine and eucs everywhere....lot's of good and food grade soils going to wood pulp!

If you want to be on the land and are sick of not having water...get over here! It's reasonably cheap and once again...sooooo pretty....the natural bits are super stunning!

Kathleen :D