tassie anyone?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by teela, Mar 3, 2007.

1. inthemidstofchange

inthemidstofchange Junior Member

4 months and loving it

Hi Teela

We made the move from Brisbane to Tassie about 4 months ago... and we love it. It is hard to gauge whether or not it is for you from comments from other people, although I agree with them all.

The best thing that you can do is take about a week, come down here and drive around the entire island. I wasted so much time talking to people about the different areas and, once I finally came down to have a look I knew instantly that there were some areas that were not for me (for various reasons) and some that I just loved - I really didn't need to do all of the talking that I had done.

As for the state of the market. It is similar to anywhere. It has risen a lot in the last few years, but you can find something to suit any budget if you look. Realestate.com.au was great for me to get an idea but again, until I visited the areas, for me, in retrospect it was really a waste of time as there were many areas that I could have instantly disrgarded (no matter what price the properties were).

Hope this helps. It is definately worth the trip down to have a look.

2. MonteGoulding

MonteGoulding Junior Member

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Nice one monte,

Am I reading it right that the whole subdivision is $185k meaning 18,500 each for 10 acres [plus plus]?

If so that makes good sense.

floot

4. MonteGoulding

yep, it seems so although it doesn't look like it's the easiest land to work with it would be great to know you had to nine like minded families around you. And by being separate titles it would relieve you of the normal ecovillage issues.

If I were ready to move I'd consider buying the package and selling them off one by one to permies as I needed money to build.

Cheers

Monte

5. bovine_blue

bovine_blue Junior Member

Tasmania was great. The property in Lachlan didn't work out. It's pretty much a forest on the side of a steep hill. It did have a water tank and a bore and was on a seasonal creek but not much opportunity to get in a grow stuff without ripping out the trees which are keeping the soil in place.

I'll be back out for good in the next couple of weeks to continue the search. I'd really like to get something in the Huon valley as it seems great down there (although Molesworth seemed nice too). Might have to look for a block of land or something smaller as all of the homes with a decent amount of land are a bit too expensive for us. One thing that was completely clear is that you get what you pay for.

I was in one of the shops in New Norfolk and had to wait for a while as the owners chatted with everybody else in the queue. And the drivers over there were very nice compared to Perth drivers. Laid back and relaxed and clean air. Just what I'm looking for.

6. MonteGoulding

7. bovine_blue

That's so funny Monte. That Cygnet block is one of the ones on our new shortlist.

8. MonteGoulding

Yeah, it looks nice and would give you a shack to fix up and stay in while your building.

9. MonteGoulding

Hey Teela + Bovine

How are you progressing? We've started getting under way with a realestate agent. We might push our plans forward if we can but there's lots to sort out.

Cheers

Monte

10. teela

teela Junior Member

Monte,
    Hi, we have our place up for sale privately. Agents charge an arm and a leg,and I don't have the cash to spare. Will go it alone for a while then may get in an agent as a last resort.
    Hubby and I are planning on going over to Tassie as soon as we can get someone to look after our kids. We want to spend time over there by ourselves looking at real estate, checking out the area for job prospects and just getting the feel of the place.
    You're right there is sooooooooo much to sort out. We have so much to move, it wont be cheap thats for sure, then there's all our animals. Arghhhhhh.

Teela

11. MonteGoulding

Hi Teela

What do agents charge? I haven't got that far yet??? I thought it was a comission.

I was thinking about buying a shipping container to send down and put on our block. It could be converted to a shed when we are done. Our four remaining chooks will be converted to 'coq au vin' before we go. The dog and the cat will need to come. I'm not sure if Rebecca's angora bunny can go???

Our plan is to sell or give away as much of our stuff as we can....

Cheers

Monte

12. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

Come on down ........

Shipping container is a great idea and is what we did when we moved from Sydney to Tassie a couple of years ago. The container makes a great water-proof, vermin-proof, secure storage shed. And if you don't want/need it as storage you should be able to sell it easily - and a couple of years ago they were worth more here than on the mainland.
    But shop around for your shipping - the price we were initially quoted was for putting it on the Melbourne-Devonport ferry, but by getting it onto a commercial/cargo ship we did it at 1/2 to 2/3 the cost.

I'm sure the bunny will make it as well - unless youre going to the Bass Strait islands https://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf/WebPages/CART-66K5VZ?open#2.1UnrestrictedEntry
    I know dogs have to have proof of hydatid worming but not sure if the same applies to cats or rabbits ......

Bernie

13. teela

teela Junior Member

Monte,
    Hi, here in SA agents charge 3 - 4% of your total price, and that does not include advertising. It doesn't sound like much but when you do the sums it is quite a chunk. And don't forget the stamp duty and the registration of transfer fee and god knows what else. After all the fees and taxes I'll barley have enough left to buy a block with a view the local rubbish dump, and a one roomed shack. That is why I've chosen to give it a go selling myself first, on top of all the fees, who wants to pay another.

Once we finally sell we plan on getting the biggest container we can get and shipping it over. Any ideas how much that will cost Bernie? I have priced containers but haven't looked into the shipping and trucking costs yet.

Teela

14. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Have you seen this site for selling your place teela?

Enviro Real Estate

No harm in putting it on there - doesn't cost anything unless you want a really fancy ad.

It's expensive to ship containers to and from Tassie. Just as a guide, we had one chockers container sent from rural tassie to rural Nth QLD and as I recall it was about $13K - with about $1200 of that being GST (grrr).

So it will be be a bit cheaper for you from SA, but I'd budget for about $10K as a rough estimate for the freight component.

I'm sure an agent will also tell you this, but just for you folks buying down there, be aware there's no 'cooling off' period when you buy real estate in Tassie.

15. macthedog

macthedog Junior Member

Hi Teela,

In 2003, we got a 20ft container from Royal Wolf for $2200 - it was certified for shipping for 12 months and had a shipping lock fitted to it (a requirement for insurance).

I'd have to check the name of the shipping co. we used - it was Bellingers or something like that.
    The ship we got our container onto was doing a route something like Brisbane-Sydney-Melbourne-Bells Bay(Tas)-Adelaide-Perth-Singapore. So our container was picked up at the dock in Sydney and delivered to Bells Bay. We had plenty of leeway on dates so this worked for us.

We organised the trucks & cranes at each end. The ship sector cost about $1600, and the trucks at each end about $400-$500 (but remember we lived in northern Sydney and over here are only about 45 minutes from Bells Bay).

Bernie

16. MonteGoulding

That doesn't sound too bad. We are going around working out exactly what we would take and what we would sell or give away before we go and I'm starting to think we might be able to buy a horse float and drive it over. The horse float will come in handy when buying various animals and carting building materials anyway. We want to cut everything down to the bare minimum (basicly sentimental stuff, books and tools)

Cheers

Monte

17. bovine_blue

Hey guys, Sorry I didn'tget back sooner but we are right in the middle of moving at the moment. We didn't get the big block of land that we wanted but we did get a decent house on a quarter acre block in Geeveston.

After the agents fees, settlement fees (buying and selling), moving costs, stamp duty, fights over (so glad we did it as there are a lot of properties that look great on the internet but turned out to be on the side of a mountain) and all the other cost associated, there was not really enough for a big block with a house suitable for a 2 year old and new baby. All in all it has probably cost about $30,000 in various fees and charges or about 6% of the combined sale and purchase price (they slug you at both ends).

There is a lot of land available around Geeveston and without a mortgage to pay off we will be saving up for that and then for our dream house (small and efficient).

18. teela

teela Junior Member

Congrats Bovine!
    I wish you and your family all the best in your big move. Let us all know how things are shaping up. Hopefully we'll be joining you over there soon.
    Teela

19. MonteGoulding

Great to hear! Geveston has a very nice 'ye olde worlde' bakery ;-)

I've been looking at some blocks around there but more recently i've started thinking about the central highlands. The land is much cheaper than the Huon Valley probably because you aren't paying the close to the sea premium.

Cheers

Monte

20. bovine_blue